Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 Loco of the Week5-28-23 to 6-3-23
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Loco of the Week 06-04-2023 to 06-10-2023 Topic Next Topic: LOTW May 21 to 27, 2023  

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 28 2023 :  1:27:11 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
L of T W 5-28-23 to 6-3-23

O well what is this rivarossi Locomotive?

frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - May 28 2023 :  5:17:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Krauss Maffei diesel hydraulic imported by RIo Grande and SP from germany. There were 6 total of these experimantal units, 3 for each road. SP ordered another 15 in a road switcher type carbody.

These were an attempt to introduce high horespower locomotives to the American market. The hydraulic drive was an attempt to solve the wheelslip problems inherent with the electric traction motors used under almost all American locomotives. The experiment was unsuccessful. The locomotives were hard to maintain, and the mechanical systems unfamiliar to railroad shop persionnel. They were based upon successful European practice, on a much larger scale. But European railroads took much better care of their locomotives than the American railroads which demand a constant duty cycle with little time for maintenance.

All told, these locomotives in real life lasted less than 10 years.

The model was imported by AHM, and I believe it was a Rivarossi locomotive. These are, like their prototypes, relatively rare. I know alot more about the real ones than the models.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 485  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 30 2023 :  10:41:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I do want one in Rio Grande! *drooools*
a SP one was restored a couple years ago & it runs too!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - May 30 2023 :  5:28:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:

The model was imported by AHM, and I believe it was a Rivarossi locomotive. These are, like their prototypes, relatively rare. I know alot more about the real ones than the models.

Originally posted by jward - May 28 2023 :  5:17:27 PM

Piko will be producing a new HO model later this year...

https://www.piko-america.com/products/97447-sp-9002-diesel-loco-ho-scale
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Loco of the Week 06-04-2023 to 06-10-2023 Topic Next Topic: LOTW May 21 to 27, 2023  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000