Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 23 ]  [ Total: 23 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Current Projects Anyone?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My Tyco Plug Door Boxcar Rebuilding Program Topic Next Topic: Ethical Question - Modifying a Rare Model  

CNW_Productions
Switcher

CNW 205

Posted - April 14 2023 :  11:07:10 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add CNW_Productions to Buddylist
Started this topic to see if anybody had any current projects at the moment.

I am currently working on a 1950s-era Athearn rubber band drive GP7, which, when completed, will represent either Chicago and Northwestern 1591:
CNW 1635:

or CNW 1583:

ATM, only the skirts, molded grab irons, and dynamic brakes have been removed. Next up is to strip the paint, add new grab irons, and add the new unit-specific details. I have numerous other projects at the moment, all CNW, including numerous F units of various types, an Athearn SW1200, and an accurate model of CNW 217.

Future plans include acquiring a Bachmann GP9 in order to modify the model to represent CNW (Ex-CGW) Number 120:

Please feel free to show off your current (or past) projects!

Edited by - CNW_Productions on April 14 2023 11:08:08 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: October 31 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 17 2023 :  07:59:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I have a number of projects in the works.

!.remotoring Tyco 4-6-2 and 2-8-2. The 4-6-2 is pretty far along, but has some problems with the motor engaging the gears. We will have to change the angle of the motor mount to get it to mesh properly. ASS it stands, it runs well forward but jams up in reverse.

2. Rebuilding my yard lead. All the switches are handlaid #5s. But the first one is a straight #5 that I curved in an attempt to make an 18-22 curved switch. I have since acquired a jig to make 18-24 curved switches, and the first one I make will replace the one in my yard. Unfortunately, this means taking up the rest of the yard switches and mocing the a couple of inches. It will be a major job.

3. converting my powered switches to throw by Cobalt levers. These resemble the switch levers used in signal towers, and my hope is to also build a model board of the layout that will show how each switch is thrown.

4. Rebuilding of a Bachmann GP40 that somebody had converted to a dummy. I have all the parts but the motor mount, and it is on its way.

5. design and printing of my railroad's logo, and having custom decals made. Let the paint flow!

6. Building of my collecting of Gorre & Daphetid kits, including two locomotives (an 0-6-0 and a Shay.)

7. equipping the rest of my locomotive fleet with decoders. I have most of what I need, but need to find the time to install them.

8. further installments of the locomotive performance trials. I posted the results of the first batch about a year ago.

9. eventually more scenery for the railroad. Trying to figure out how to model anticlines, synclines, and thrust faults, as well as a boulder field. My hope is that I will have a unique layout with seldom modeled scenic features.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - April 17 2023 :  8:11:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Your last item makes me wonder if you are a geologist in disguise? Have you seen the cut on the Sideling Hill on I-68 in Maryland? I want to see you model that geosyncline in HO scale.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNW_Productions
Switcher

CNW 205

Posted - April 17 2023 :  9:32:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNW_Productions to Buddylist
I'm interested in the Gorre and Daphetid engines more than anything... I can't wait to see how those turn out
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: October 31 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 17 2023 :  10:08:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
Your last item makes me wonder if you are a geologist in disguise? Have you seen the cut o n the Sideling Hill on I-68 in Maryland? I want to see you model that geosyncline in HO scale.

Originally posted by el rojo grande - April 17 2023 :  8:11:45 PM

I guess you'd call me an amateur geologist. I have always been fascinated by the various rock formations of the ridge and valley, an area that includes the Sideling Hill road cut. And yes, I've stopped there several times. A great example of an anticline lies a few miles further west in the CUmberland Narrows.

My plans for the current railroad are for the mountain along the back wall to be one side of an anticline, with rock outcrops along the top edge and a boulder field below. Now all I need to do is find a way to make the scruffy pine trees that thrive in places like this. The rest of the railroad will be in a buried syncline, with most of the rock layers hidden under topsoil.

For those unfamiliar with the terms, a Syncline has the rock layers bent downward in a U shape, and an anticline has them bent upward in an arch. A thrust fault is where one layer of rock has broken away and thrust over itself.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 24 2023 :  10:31:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Here is what I am working on to-night.

This first one is a Bachmann GP35. Look closely, and you'll notice it has the trucks from an Alco RS3. GP30s and GP35s were often built with parts from traded in units, and many reused trucks from Alco FAs or RS3s. This is a relatively easy conversion that only requires the purchase of a set of RS3 trucks from Bachmann's parts department. This unit will get a decoder, and repainted to Alleghany Railway #469.

Purchased with the GP35 was this GP40. Somebody had made it into a dummy by removing the motor brushes and springs and clipping the leads. They also went to all the trouble to remove the gears from the trucks but did not remove the worm. I'm still shaking my head over this one. But since I got both for $30 off ebay, i'm not complaining. This one got the trucks swapped from the GP35, and a new motor and universal.
It is seen here with the new motor and trucks installed, but the top weight is left off. Due to the idosynchrocies of Bachmann's drive, everything sits loose in the frame at this point. The gear towers have a bolster hole like a freight car, and are secured by a screw through the top weight. The motor is sandwiched between the frame and the weight as well. The wires will be threaded through the top weight, and connected to each other long enough to test run the locomotive before a decoder is installed. Like the GP35, this one will also be stripped and repainted as Alleghany Railway #47.

For those wondering, the Alleghany Railway is the parent company of the Cumberland Terminal which I am modelling. As the CT is a "paper road" all equipment will be lettered for the parent company.

Edited by - jward on April 24 2023 11:49:56 PM

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - April 24 2023 :  11:40:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
My project is selling excess inventory. Just reading jward's list made me tired! Can't wait to see the end result and what material(s) you used.

CNW, looking forward to seeing your C&NW engine.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 25 2023 :  01:36:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
no but I found this Bugs Bunny toon that we all need for our Chattanooga Choo-Choo sets
https://www.supercartoons.net/cartoon/1033/bugs-bunny-half-fare-hare.html

but got semi-good pix of the boxcars

close up on the door

Serves Outer Space

Am pretty sure the other cars are named after the animators hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 25 2023 :  08:22:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hey Buss, How U doin!

Here is a little sumthin I am doin.

Awhile back I got a tinplat Pegasus tank car. I wanted to do something with it so that is what I doing. I removed the tank from its tin plate platform with truck and weard couplers . I kept the tank and disposed of the rest. I have a new dome for the car and disposed of the old one with its ladders. I put all the stuff together. I have for this conversion from tin plate to a different I hope better car. I need to get some silver matching paint to cover the rust spots that I still had to remove, somehow!
here is it now.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on April 25 2023 08:31:28 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNW_Productions
Switcher

CNW 205

Posted - April 25 2023 :  3:32:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNW_Productions to Buddylist
I've been working on a few F units lately but I'll be sure to get back to work on the GP7 soon, this weekend I plan to start removing the units paint so hopefully that ends well.
quote:
My project is selling excess inventory. Just reading jward's list made me tired! Can't wait to see the end result and what material(s) you used.

CNW, looking forward to seeing your C&NW engine.

Originally posted by Brian4321 - April 24 2023 :  11:40:20 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: October 31 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: My Tyco Plug Door Boxcar Rebuilding Program Topic Next Topic: Ethical Question - Modifying a Rare Model  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000