Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW March 5 to 11, 2023
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW March 12 to 18, 2023 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Feb 26 to Mar 4  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 10 2023 :  9:34:33 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Bachmann E 60. Bachmann frequently came up with some of the most interesting designs,
but yikes there motors and mechs were as bad or worse as Tyco's rotten PT motor that
disappointed untold legions of young model railheads. I recall going through several mechs
to get this one functioning example, out of sheer will power and no small cost.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator 

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 11 2023 :  3:41:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Fortunately for us, Bachmann has upgraded their line since those days. Their Gp40 and FT are still in production with modern can motors. While they are by no means top of the line, they are light years better than they were and comparable to an Athearn from aaround 1980.

One wonders what Tyco would have done with their line if they'd stayed in business. WOuld we have seen C630s and C430s with good, solid 8 wheel drive instead of the Power Torques? Would we have seen metal wheels and body mounted couplers on everything? WHat upgrades would that massive tank car have undergone?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 12 2023 :  12:03:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
saw one of those E60 locos for sale for $60 am gonna hafta pass but I want one!

anyway Athern Rock Island

I'd like one of these in BN & the Rock hehe

Edited by - microbusss on March 12 2023 12:04:03 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 12 2023 :  01:54:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Bachmann has a large British range in HO, as well. Regrettably,
many of those have a junk status, as well. Recently, however,
they are, more and more, coming out with truly exceptional
British locomotives with dependable mechs. As I model British,
I generally avoided all Bachmann products like Black Death,
but since have picked up one or two that received exceptionally
strong reviews from Sam's Trains. The Duke Dog, with its
externally mounted side rods outside an iron chassis, being
one. The kind of detail one only found formerly in brass, but
with a beautifully geared mech.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW March 12 to 18, 2023 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Feb 26 to Mar 4  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000