Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Car of the Week (COTW)
 COTW: Nov. 6th - Nov. 11th
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: COTW November 12 to 29, 2022 Topic Next Topic: COTW 10/16 - 10/22/2022  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 06 2022 :  10:55:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ephrata Valley passenger coach #86, a repainted Tri-Ang piece.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 07 2022 :  09:09:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist

For car of the week, I present this Mantua upgrade of the old Tyco DuPont tank car. I remember seeing similar cars in service on COnrail as late as 1987, Given that the real ones were built in the 1940s, I assume the reached their 40 years of service and had to be reitred around that time.

The Mantua car presents an interesting what if. It is a "heavy" which is a weighted version of the original car. Mantua also modified it to accept body mounted couplers, though the trucks retain the traditional Tyco snap in mounting. The person who had the car before me added metal wheels and Kadees. Given the upgrades that Bachmann LifeLike and even Model Power did to their train lines over the years I wonder if Tyco has remained in the train business would they have upgraded their line like this? The upgrades to this old standby are very similar to what Bachmann did with their Silver Series cars, and those are great runners right out of the box. Mantua did this upgrades to quite a few of the old standbys from the Tyco line, though they retains the plastic wheels the later ones also had knuckle couplers. Unfortunately, Mantua did not release the classic Tyco streamlines caboose in upgraded form, instead using an old Lindberg caboose. Would Tyco have also upgraded the locomotive fleet to eliminate the troublesome PowerTorque drive in favour of the can motoered worm gear driven setup almost everybody else now uses? I can dream can't I?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 08 2022 :  2:58:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
TWO Tyco Old Dutch Cleanser hoppers!

I have a AHM one someplace
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 08 2022 :  4:16:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Interesting the slight variation in lettering between the two cars. Wonder why they did that? It had to be expensive to redo the artwork and make new printing pads for the revised lettering, and Tyco wasn't catering to the high end collectors who would notice such details.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: COTW November 12 to 29, 2022 Topic Next Topic: COTW 10/16 - 10/22/2022  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000