Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Glenn’s Train Room
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Another Engine for the Mussentuchit Transfer Topic Next Topic: San Diego Model RR Museum  

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 24 2022 :  9:40:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
This post is probably waaay premature, but I haven’t had a layout of any kind since I was eight years old (which is a whole lot longer ago than I care to admit!), but I finally have room for a layout!

My wife and I are moving, and she is letting me have any room in the new (to us) house in which to build a layout. I am leaning strongly towards the currently unfinished attic:

I apologize for the poor picture; there is currently no light up there so I had to depend on the flash to expose the picture. I then boosted the exposure digitally.

This thread is probably going to lay dormant for some time while we get all our worldly goods moved seven hours away and get settled in, but I just had to share the good news!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 24 2022 :  11:00:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Many possibilities with that layout. I believe some members here also have attic layouts.
They may have some helpful hints and suggestions.

Plenty of articles and videos may also be helpful.

I know you are working on the best possible outcome to maintain safety and longevity of your equipment.
There are temperature extremes in attics. But you will take care of that.

Good luck.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5871  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 25 2022 :  12:10:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I plan to insulate and drywall the space, install dedicated electrical circuits and provide some sort of climate control. Running the electrical circuits in such a old house is going to be possibly the biggest challenge. And like I mentioned before, we have to move all our junk first, so it’s gonna be a while before steel wheel meets steel rail.
Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 25 2022 :  9:43:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Lots of possibilities there! Nice
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 26 2022 :  6:06:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A blank canvas, to be sure.

As a teen, I was relegated to the attic. Freeze or fry. Get to work on
the temperature control!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 29 2022 :  12:50:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I haven't yet had an opportunity to measure the space, but an educated guess puts the dimensions at 12ft x 37ft x 7ft high. I think I can get a decent amount of railroading in that space.
Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 31 2022 :  4:21:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
One intriguing possibility is the entryway being toward the center of the room. This will allow you to build around the walls without having to worry about a liftout section or other similar potential problems. But keep in mind that in order to maximize your space you'll need a lower layout height, say 30-36" off the floor. That's a good height if you like to be seated while running trains.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 31 2022 :  7:01:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
don't forget to install a exhaust fan in one of the windows
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Another Engine for the Mussentuchit Transfer Topic Next Topic: San Diego Model RR Museum  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000