Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Railroadiana
 In search of the elusive PentaTanker.....
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Trains of India... Topic Next Topic: Connecticut Valley Railroad  

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 04 2022 :  11:02:20 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
SOme of you on this forum know of the PentaTanker, a 5 dome monster El ROjo Grande created by splicing two Tyco 3 domers together. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a real 5 dome tank car running around on CSx. I've seen it twice now, both times I wasn't quick enough to get a photo. So I guess these photos of four domers will have to do for now. Those have been coming through regularly on NS.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator 

Pacific
Switcher

Posted - August 07 2022 :  07:28:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pacific to Buddylist
A real monster. Thanks for the pics.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: August 05 2022  ~  Last Visit: August 07 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - August 07 2022 :  3:28:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
A real live Pentatanker?
Oh my heart!
You simply MUST put off everything else and set up a hobo camp until you can get a photo of this beast!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 07 2022 :  6:54:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
A real live Pentatanker?
Oh my heart!
You simply MUST put off everything else and set up a hobo camp until you can get a photo of this beast!

Originally posted by el rojo grande - August 07 2022 :  3:28:53 PM

The thought of spending my vacation camped out in a tent on Sand Patch waiting for trains.......What a vacation that would be. I'd probably pass out from exhaustion and lack of sleep by about the 4th day.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 07 2022 :  8:52:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some nice cars.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspicture.aspx?id=5843

Possible tips for your new projects.

Different but still tank cars to be duplicated in your next projects.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5774  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 07 2022 :  8:55:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
there was a bigger one in the south but a hurricane swept it off the rails & was scrapped later
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 08 2022 :  07:08:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Here is one similar to the one shown on the original post.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5774  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 08 2022 :  12:55:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
All of the multi dome tankers should now be about the same overall size.

The truly massive tank cars, the ones with 12 and 16 wheels, were outlawed around 1970. Those already built were grandfathered in, so they ran up until around 2000. But since the era of massive freight cars had only begun in the early to mid 1960s, there weren't many of the huge tankers built before their construction was banned. Those that were built have aged out of the fleet.

I believe all tankers constructed after the ban are limited to 33000 gallons or less.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 09 2022 :  02:57:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Remarkable prototypes, so it is that there is a precedent for El Rojo's
outrageously whimsical vehicles. I had no idea.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 09 2022 :  05:14:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
There is even apparently a prototype for the Tyco supertanker in Australia. Tyco's is not an exact copy, but all the design elements are there: the big domes, 6 wheel trucks, and even the mysterious fin under the tank that has been made fun of over the years. The fin is used to mount the air brake equipment.

Attachment: 20220809051349_australiadiagram.pdf ( 22655bytes )

Edited by - jward on August 09 2022 05:19:06 AM

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - August 09 2022 :  7:02:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Jward is batting a thousand with his photos and knowledge. When you do get out to the Sandpatch be sure to head over to Confluence for a bite at the Lucky Dog Cafe or watch the CSX action at Ohiopyle right from the outside seating at Falls City Pub. Both have great food!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 09 2022 :  8:51:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That Australian tanker car does have many similarities to the Tyco triple-dome tanker cars - wow!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 29 2023 :  01:54:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Well, after over a year of looking, That 5 dome tanker has never resurfaced. I wonder why? Usually cars like that are in a specific service and shuttle back and forth between the same two points. Weird.

However, I was able to find a photo of a similar car online. May I present, a real live 5 dome tank car!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 30 2023 :  12:10:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'd like the 2 biggest tank cars in HO
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Trains of India... Topic Next Topic: Connecticut Valley Railroad  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000