Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Railroadiana
 Locomotive of the Week-Prototype.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Undated, circa 1910? Topic Next Topic: Harpers Ferry, WV  

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 28 2022 :  1:23:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Here is something new, coming soon to a station near you.

Amtrak units 306 and 307 being delivered to the railroad. These two haven't even made their maiden runs yet, and are enroute to whatever shop places them in service. Personally, after years of the dreary blue and grey colours I am loving the new paint scheme. Photos taken in Braddock, Pa where the old B&O mainline met the P&LE.

Edited by - jward on February 28 2022 1:30:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 01 2022 :  1:18:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, that is interesting. Looks a bit like the CP Pac Man.
I wish railroads would do more with heritage paint schemes.

Maybe the worst of all time was Pan American Railways,
which had absorbed the bones of the once mighty B&M.

PA actually bought the rights to the original Pan American
logo to plaster on their locomotives, leading one to wonder
if they did not have enough imagination to come up with
their own?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 01 2022 :  5:12:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Well, that is interesting. Looks a bit like the CP Pac Man.
I wish railroads would do more with heritage paint schemes.

Maybe the worst of all time was Pan American Railways,
which had absorbed the bones of the once mighty B&M.

PA actually bought the rights to the original Pan American
logo to plaster on their locomotives, leading one to wonder
if they did not have enough imagination to come up with
their own?

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 01 2022 :  1:18:45 PM

yeah except its a chevron
also CSX is getting PanAm Railways
Also Montana Rail Link is getting sold to BNSF as MRL is canceling the lease
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 01 2022 :  5:24:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I like the new Amtrak scheme. It replaces one of the worst looking paint schemes of all time, that silver grey and blue monstrosity that has infested Amtrak locomotives for the past 20 years. It looked particularly bad on the AEM7 electrics. Other candidates for worst paint scheme are CT Rail which replaced the old New Haven colours with some red and black thing; and the Norfolk and Western's "NW" scheme.

And yes, the new Amtrak does have that PacMan look. It's also a nod to the original Amtrak "pointless arrow" that was their herald for many years. Bachmann is making models of these units. I hope the real ones run as good as they look.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - March 01 2022 :  8:53:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Very nice shots Jward. Thanks for posting those.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 01 2022 :  9:41:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, thank you for posting, I didn't know it was out there. Maybe can a thread
for the Best and the Worst paint schemes of all time? But that would probably
create war. I personally thought the Worms in Love logo of the PC was a
standout, others compare it to a hearse.

If I was a Pan Am PR director, I would not want this as a company photo. That
roadbed looks to be out of Old Mexico. The Baby Blue unit behind the Midnight
Blue is kinda cute, however.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 01 2022 :  10:44:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
I personally thought the Worms in Love logo of the PC was a
standout, others compare it to a hearse.

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 01 2022 :  9:41:02 PM

When you lived in western Pennsylvania back in that era, everything was either black or dark blue. It was a dreary place to railfan. To put it in perspective, in 1968 COnnellsville had 5 railroads. PC units were black, P&LE was black, N&w was dark blue, B&O was dark blue and Western Maryland was black. Other nearby shortlines, Monongahela, Monnessen Southwestern, Montour. All black. There is a reason WM red & white, and CHessie System were much loved. Their bright, attractive colours were a breath of fresh air in an area that surely needed it. PC was a fascinating operation, but sad at the same time as the railroad unravelled before our eyes.

Here are my votes for best paint schemes of all time, top 5 in no particular order: Santa Fe warbonnet, SOuthern Crescent (Green), Reading green and yellow, New Haven, and Chessie System.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Undated, circa 1910? Topic Next Topic: Harpers Ferry, WV  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000