Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Varney Berkshire Kit Completed (C&NW + Weathered)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua Heavy Hudson Repair and Refurbishment Topic Next Topic: Video series:How to build a basic steam engine kit  

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - October 24 2021 :  10:37:54 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Hello everyone,

After some time I have finished my Varney Berkshire.

Cast Bronze? Boiler

Mechanism came like this. No filing or bearing fittings which was very nice.

Valve Gear being built

Filed and sanded boiler. The boiler contains a huge lead weight.

Mounting on chassis

Adding details

Fitting valve gear onto chassis

Painted mechanism. The steam chest was the challenge of this build. I had to make my own rod hangers. This took a ton of fitting and time. (about 2 weeks to get it rolling happily.)

Painted boiler

My kit did not come with a tender so I used a metal Mantua tender that my friend Alex supplied.

Headlight wiring. I used a micro LED, epoxy, and gold paint to give it a nice bright headlight.

Finished 1

Finished 2

Finished 3

Finished 4. This is my favorite photo of any of my models.

Finished 5.

I have since mounted kadees and I run this engine as often as I can. I had a little issue with some of the rivets failing on the valve gear so i just replaced them with 00-80 screws and nuts. I have about 20 hours of run time on this engine with no issues. With it being well over 2lbs it pulls everything I throw at it.

Edited by - kristofer4301 on October 24 2021 10:38:51 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 24 2021 :  11:21:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looks great.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 25 2021 :  10:23:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What the HECK man! That is extraordinary work. I know they give
you the parts, but assembling it, and fine tuning all the edges, that
is one step away from scratching. I would never attempt such a
project. All thumbs, moi.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 25 2021 :  12:55:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Love it!

I like seeing somebody building these old survivor kits instead of shelving them as "collector's items."  The manufacturers intended them to be built and operated.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 25 2021 :  7:38:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Wow! That's even a correct road number for a CNW Berkshire.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 25 2021 :  9:36:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Incredible work, Kris! Simply awesome.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 26 2021 :  12:06:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That is a work of art!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - October 28 2021 :  3:12:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Thank you for the kind words everyone. It was a difficult build but nothing too hard. The side rod guides on the steam chest were a huge PITA and when parts of the valve gear rivets gave up during the trial runs was quite annoying it wasn’t anything that couldn’t be fixed. It took me about 50 or 60 hours to build. For reference the Bowser Challenger took me 120 to 140 hours.

Like I stated earlier I really enjoy this engine. Sunday is about the only day I have free and I’ll typically start it up in the morning and just let it run all day. It’s a total brute too. I haven’t had a long enough train on it to even make it think about struggling. Also this was my first time using micro LEDs. I am really glad I went with this instead of the jewel as I LOVE the super-bright headlight.

Stay tuned for more builds.

Edited by - kristofer4301 on October 28 2021 3:14:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bring Back British Rail
Switcher

Posted - November 24 2021 :  10:27:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bring Back British Rail to Buddylist
That is simply a wonderful build. I was fortunate to be able to buy this same Varney model of a Berkshire (it is one of my favorite model engines) a couple years ago from the gentleman who built it, and having had to take it apart in order to get it back up and running all right I don't think I could have managed building the rods and valve gear myself. Absolutely well done!
Edited by - Bring Back British Rail on November 25 2021 12:08:11 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: November 19 2021  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mantua Heavy Hudson Repair and Refurbishment Topic Next Topic: Video series:How to build a basic steam engine kit  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000