Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Accessory of the week. (AOTW)
 AOTW: July 18th - July 24th
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: AOTW: July 25th to August 7, 2021 Topic Next Topic: AOTW: July 11th - July 17th  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 18 2021 :  7:56:41 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Kicking off AOTW this week with a HO-Scale cheap plastic-looking truck that I made look better with a silver paint pen. The 50's pickup truck is dropping off oil barrels for scrap at Putnick Salvage Yard.

Also, I replaced the custom Woodland Scenics trees that I made a while ago, on the back of the layout, with classic LifeLike evergreens and deciduous trees. I feel these trees add more color and retro-ism to the Ephrata Valley Railroad.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - July 18 2021 :  8:08:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
nice truck RP! I love those cheap LL models!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 18 2021 :  8:14:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well this is a book but hey it counts as a accessory

$14 off of Amazon
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 18 2021 :  10:45:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That truck really pops now. Useful tip. I have never heard or seen of that
Tyco Manual before, and the cover art is such a departure from what is
typically Tyco as everything is heavily weathered.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11209  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 18 2021 :  11:07:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I had that Tyco book a few years ago but really couldn't find a good use for it... A fun look thru and back on ebay it went. Not at all what I had hoped for....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 18 2021 :  11:37:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I've never read that Tyco book, but I think that the weathering and the sense of model rather than toy trains captures much of Tyco's history. I've been reading back issues of Model Railroader magazine starting from the first issue in January, 1934. Mantua pops up pretty early in the pioneering days of HO trains, not as a maker of toy trains but definitely as a hobby manufacturer. Mantua was founded and run by the Tyler family and Tyco is short for Tyler Company. We see them going back and forth between the Mantua and Tyco names, and usually, even their trainset stuff was not far from being credible models.

The years when Tyco was under Consolidated Foods, were pretty toy-like with the fanciful chrome plated trains, etc., and depending on when you were first into trains, that might be what Tyco means to you.

My first exposure to Tyco trains just predates the era of A-Team, Clementine, etc. and I think of Tyco as a sort of bridge from trainsets into the more "serious" model railroading.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2358  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 19 2021 :  8:51:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks BNSFia and Chops! I too am happy at how the truck turned out.

That Tyco book certainly looks interesting....I have only tried my hand a few times at weathering and it wasn't pretty.

Shaggy, totally agree with your point of view.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 19 2021 :  10:37:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Shaggy has a point, but me, I just sort of got stuck at age 11 and never
grew out of it.

Occasionally, I do small forays into trying towards a more realistic look,
it's been interesting, but end of the day, give me the old chunky, shiny,
chromed out Tyco look.

A terrific pallet jack by Anderson Paint Shops- exactly what Ima talkin' about.

And a JF tanker by the same:

Edited by - Chops124 on July 20 2021 12:21:08 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11209  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 21 2021 :  12:06:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Something I have only seen a few of in my 22 year latest Tyco run are these "Clip On" Tyco light poles made to clip on Tyco Speedways track. I have a few of them.

Edited by - walt on July 21 2021 12:07:30 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - July 22 2021 :  12:18:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Those clip-on lights are pretty cool!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 22 2021 :  01:14:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I too, think they are Glenn. I have only seen about a dozen in the last 20 years!
Edited by - walt on July 22 2021 02:46:56 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 23 2021 :  01:44:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

The Armadillo Paleontology Society has discovered Big Bird.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 23 2021 :  12:25:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you needs a JP Jeep there &/or the Ford Explorer hehehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - July 25 2021 :  02:21:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:

The Armadillo Paleontology Society has discovered Big Bird.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 23 2021 :  01:44:35 AM

What’s the story of that steam shovel? It looks like an inverted miniature claw foot tub sitting on the crawler tracks of a Tyco bulldozer!

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 25 2021 :  2:54:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hey G, nice to see you around. I still got that Conrail GP
you sold me a few years ago. A wonderful and durable
piece that looks like a Tyco, but runs like a top shelf
Rapido.

The story is that is done by a talented artist on the TF
by name of A-A-Ron, out of the Anderson Paint Shops.
He does this stuff on request. I like it because it fits the
toy-like look I am trying to grab onto, no proto-real allowed in Armadilloville, and it totally captures that
"Katy the Steam Shovel" that I adore. He has also
done a lot of stuff for RP.

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - July 25 2021 :  5:26:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Hey Chops, I’m glad to hear that Conrail Geep is still working for ya! And I’ve seen quite a few mentions of Anderson Paint Shops as I’ve been poking around lately. A-A-Ron appears to be quite prolific, and I can see the “Katy” resemblance since it almost looks like a cartoon character! Nice little shovel there, A-A-Ron!
Glenn

Edited by - gmoney on July 25 2021 5:28:23 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 25 2021 :  5:30:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the top part of the steam shovel is actually a Tonka by Maisto
it came out on the 50th Anniversary of Tonka
I'll hafta find a original sometime
  Previous Topic: AOTW: July 25th to August 7, 2021 Topic Next Topic: AOTW: July 11th - July 17th  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000