Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 My Rivarossi Docksider won't run. Help.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Rivarossi Ephrata Valley RR 0-8-0 #102 Topic Next Topic: HO AHM RS-3 Coffee Grinder  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 05 2021 :  11:21:11 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
So, I was running my Rivarossi 0-4-0 Docksider not too long ago, and it suddenly stopped. I have taken it apart and put it back together several times since then, and I have no clue what is happening. When I apply power in either direction, the light comes on, but there is no motor movement or sound. However, when I apply direct power to the motor from 2 wires, it runs perfectly fine (note: it was running fine before it suddenly stopped.)

Yes, the insulated wheels are on the right side. Yes, the wheels are fine/quartered.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 07 2021 :  1:15:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
And how do pick ups look?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 07 2021 :  1:21:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
What kind of gearing does it have?
Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 07 2021 :  3:20:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
From the wipers on the insulated side drivers to the motor, there is a wire. It's separate from the wire to the light, so if the light works, but the motor does not, and the motor works when power is applied directly to the motor, that pretty much leaves that wire as the weak link. Check if that's properly connected at both ends, and if so, whether it conducts electricity (it could be broken inside the insulation).

Another possible, but unlikely, point of failure would be if the mounting screws for the motor are loose, making for a weak ground to the chassis.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 07 2021 :  8:56:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Pick-up (or really one) is fine.

The gearing is a simple set-up, just a worm gear connected to the motor, that interlocks with the circular gear on one driver.

shaggy, I didn't even think of checking the wire....it may very well be broken inside, because I know it is connected to the pick-up wiper fine, but it may be loose to where it is connected on the motor. I will check this as soon as possible. I will also investigate the mounting screws.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 09 2021 :  05:56:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Keep us posted. Interesting thread.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 09 2021 :  07:06:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Keep us posted. Interesting thread.

Originally posted by Chops124-April 09 2021: 05:56:09 AM

Will do. I'll be working on it this weekend, since I'm off work.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 09 2021 :  7:57:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yay! He finally got a day off!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 13 2021 :  12:37:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Update on the Docksider - So, I soldered a brand new wire from the contact piece to the motor, replacing the original black one. After putting the chassis back together and inside the shell, I tested the motor again with 2 wires (one from the contact piece and the other to a brush spring) and it ran with no problems, like normal. I then installed the driver/wheel assembly, but without the bottom plate - tested it the same way, and the motor ran fine again. I screwed the bottom plate back on, tested it once more with the 2 wires, and it didn't run. (0__/\__0) So, what do I do now?

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 13 2021 :  1:27:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Is there any bare part of the wire that might touch the cover plate and cause a short? If so, a piece of tape on that might solve the problem. Otherwise, the only other thing I could think of is if the axles are somehow pinched so that the motor wants to turn, but the whole mechanism is bound.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 13 2021 :  9:13:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Is there any bare part of the wire that might touch the cover plate and cause a short? If so, a piece of tape on that might solve the problem. Otherwise, the only other thing I could think of is if the axles are somehow pinched so that the motor wants to turn, but the whole mechanism is bound.

Originally posted by scsshaggy-April 13 2021: 1:27:40 PM

I'm thinking that the plate is causing a short...I don't believe the wire touches it, however. I'll investigate further.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 13 2021 :  10:43:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I'm thinking that the plate is causing a short...I don't believe the wire touches it, however. I'll investigate further.
Originally posted by RP model railroads - April 13 2021 :  9:13:00 PM

It also occurs to me that since the pickup wipers are mounted on that plastic block that sits in the frame and is held in by the cover plate, the cover may be pushing up on it in a way that causes the wiper or where the wire attaches to somehow touch the frame. An experiment might be to run it without the cover plate and then press on that block and see if it shorts out then.

Carpe Manana!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 14 2021 :  8:34:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Here's a short video I made explaining the issues. I thought it was the plate, but.....is it the screw? I am so confused now.
https://youtu.be/Eob49q2cfBU

Edited by - RP model railroads on April 14 2021 8:35:38 PM

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - April 14 2021 :  9:01:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
The screw may be shorting against the wiring for the light. is the insulation okay on the leads to the light?
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 14 2021 :  9:17:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The screw goes into the weight. The light sits on top of the weight and the weight is half of the light's circuit. I agree with Bamos about the possibility of the wire to the light light shorting out, but not only against the screw, but any part of the weight. It's suspicious that the light has stopped working, and this could be one explanation for both symptoms.
Carpe Manana!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 15 2021 :  09:19:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
make sure the weight is not bending down to make contact with the yoke.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 15 2021 :  9:23:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ah....I will check that out asap

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 18 2021 :  7:49:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The B&O Docksider LIVES!

https://youtu.be/hw_vXsjDaNo

What I did was: paint the tube part of the screw that holds everything together, and also put a little paint on the frame behind the copper wipers, as I noticed that when they bend a certain way, they can short out on the frame. It runs good as new, and the headlight works again. Contact/shorting was definitely the issue - thank you all for your help.

Edited by - RP model railroads on April 18 2021 8:02:41 PM
  Previous Topic: Rivarossi Ephrata Valley RR 0-8-0 #102 Topic Next Topic: HO AHM RS-3 Coffee Grinder  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000