Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Faux Narrow Gauge Gallping Goose
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 3D passenger chassis/interior for the Aerotrain! Topic Next Topic: Toontown Trolley Project  

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - December 31 2020 :  4:46:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
So living in Durango Colorado I naturally love narrow gauge trains but all of my model trains are standard gauge ho because its cheaper and more common. I have a few what I call Faux narrow gauge trains standard gauge trains that are supposed to look like narrow gauge ones. I have a few of these like my mantua/tyco rio grande 4-8-0, My mantua rio grande davenport, and my bachmann durango and silverton train.
And I love The RGS galloping geese and want to have a faux narrow gauge one. I found this on ebay today and I think with a lot of work I could make it look really good
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - December 31 2020 :  4:53:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I will need to add an extra truck in the middle, repaint the entire thing, cut off some of that extra wood, maybe shorten the bus, add a cowcatcher and other details and, do some lettering
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - December 31 2020 :  4:54:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I think that I will make it look like RGS motor #5
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 31 2020 :  5:38:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
there is a real faux Galloping Goose for sale & the number is 8
I think its at a antique store for $10K
it was made for parades originally

boy IF I got it
It'd be made to go on the rails of both 3 foot & Standard
plus have a turntable under it to turn it around

Edited by - microbusss on December 31 2020 5:39:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - December 31 2020 :  5:56:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
thats neat

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 31 2020 :  10:41:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good luck on this project. Keep us posted.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 02 2021 :  11:42:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh here is the fake Goose #8

Pic taken from a YT video
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - January 09 2021 :  1:05:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
The goose arrived yesterday

It was covered in this ugly yellow paint but it just peeled right off.

I then removed the walkway from the top of the boxcar section

and then sanded down the area

I then removed the light from the top of the bus section

after scrubbing a bit I got more of the paint off

I can even see some of the original lettering It appears to have been a Denver Texas and Fort Worth refrigerator car.

I also shortened the bus and cut off the wheel wells

now its time to paint!

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - January 09 2021 :  1:14:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
now I need to wait for the paint to dry

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - January 09 2021 :  7:36:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist

I cut the chassis and then articulated them

this is what it currently looks like I still need to trim some of the wood and touch up some of the paint.

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - January 09 2021 :  7:37:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
does anybody here have a junked bachmann gandy dancer?

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 09 2021 :  8:38:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So need a power truck? Remarkable project, I don't have such, though.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 09 2021 :  9:05:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking good. I will check to see.....I know I sold off 2 that worked, and had another that was damaged, but I think the motor was removed. Will get back to you.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - January 09 2021 :  10:48:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
quote:
Looking good. I will check to see.....I know I sold off 2 that worked, and had another that was damaged, but I think the motor was removed. Will get back to you.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - January 09 2021 :  9:05:55 PM

thanks

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - January 10 2021 :  7:07:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
So I don't think I'm going to use a gandy dancer.
I don't think it would be powerful enough. But I think a bachmann brill trolley would work great!
Does anyone here have one where the shell isn't in very good condition?
I also still might like a hand pump car.

Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on January 10 2021 7:07:44 PM

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - January 10 2021 :  7:39:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
https://youtu.be/FHr-JOiftLs
I tested it with the chassis in my bachmann brill trolley
Please excuse the messy layout and the part at the end where my dad dropped something

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 10 2021 :  7:51:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
https://youtu.be/FHr-JOiftLs
I tested it with the chassis in my bachmann brill trolley
Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - January 10 2021 :  7:39:00 PM

That's starting to really look like the Goose, and that trolley chassis appears to run nicely. I used the power truck from one of those in a doodlebug and it worked out nicely. I got it pretty inexpensively at a swap meet a few years back. It's a pity the swap meets are so few and far between, now.

I agree that the handcar is probably not enough, with only 1 axle driven.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 10 2021 :  9:55:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I did check, and I have a Bachmann trackster left, but it is completely gutted. Sorry. :(

But, using a trolley chassis sounds like a better idea anyways. I have no trolleys however.

Nice progress update video too!

Previous Topic: 3D passenger chassis/interior for the Aerotrain! Topic Next Topic: Toontown Trolley Project  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000