Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Seperating glued parts
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Roundhouse 2-8-0/0-8-0 Old Timer Build Topic Next Topic: Repainting 2 old Athearn F7 shells for CONRAIL  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 19 2020 :  3:13:38 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I need to get these two peices unstuck. Someone must have used a very strong glue, because I cant get it apart! I cant find any good spots to jam something in to attempt to break the bond. How should I go about this? Can I use some sort if solution to dissolve it or is it stuck for good?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - December 19 2020 :  3:19:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
What two pieces. I'd reccomend an exacto knife or a small screwdriver
Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: March 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 19 2020 :  3:58:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Maybe acetone nail polish remover? I use it when I get badly
super glued to something.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - December 19 2020 :  4:17:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
There re several solutions for taking apart glue joints. For super glue and epoxy you can use acetone which
you need to use somewhere you wont see as it will melt plastic or Super glue de-bonder which wont.
Something that works with super glue and plastic cement is putting the model in the freezer which will make
the joint brittle.
And for plastic weld tube glues use some of the liquid cement, acetone or MEK to soften the joint from the
inside then work the joint apart with a knife.
Or just take a hobby saw or knife and just saw through the joint most times the joint won't be seen after sanding and filing

Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - December 22 2020 :  8:55:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Some of those solvents recommended might/will melt the plastic. It would be advisable to do a test to see if that happens.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 23 2020 :  2:57:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I ended up getting a new part. I'll keep these suggestions in mind if I ever have to deal with this again in the future. Thanks guys!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Roundhouse 2-8-0/0-8-0 Old Timer Build Topic Next Topic: Repainting 2 old Athearn F7 shells for CONRAIL  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000