Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Camden & Amboy, 1835
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My HO-Scale DB German diesel locomotives in action Topic Next Topic: I shouldn''t be allowed to play with layout softwar  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 09 2020 :  10:28:17 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Going to start this little thread, and stay on it. In the past I never realized that it was protocol to
start one's thread and keep adding to it. As a result I've got like 300 Henley and Armodilloville
threads all over the place. Anyhows, taking the old Harte's Mill layout, I removed the structures
and scene specific to Old El Paso off this afternoon. A brief test with the John Bull ran quite nicely,
and relatively slowly, as it should. The top speed of the proto was about 27 MPH, like it's cousin,
the Rocket.

It's gonna be phun, combining a little trial-and-error physics with
1/87. The new Jupiter is safe and sound, upon the shelf. Can't wait
to start laying down some track and seeing what works and what
doesn't. Don't want to get to crazy with the grades and smoking
motors!

Downloaded some these stone viaducts off the computer today to replace the timber
trestles. I've worked with these card kits before, quite popular
in the UK, where the cost of everything is so amazingly high that
paper kits are quite popular for ease and cost (preview of coming
attractions in what was once the USA). Anyways, the kits come
right off the printer and have amazing relief and detail, given that
they are on regular copy paper! A thin cardboard backing will be used
to give it the necessary rigidity, and being paper, it won't be too hard
to trim to fit the existing landscape of Harte's I. Nice thing, too, is
that one can reprint as many bits, selectively or in whole, from one
purchase price, which was about $3.50. I feel like I invented the wheel.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 09 2020 :  10:52:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Good luck with the rebuilt layout Jeff. Good that your display is back in the house.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5896  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 09 2020 :  11:47:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Printable viaduct. I am discovering there are loads of FREE downloadable kits online, many as
promos for the manufacturers. Really nice stuff, you'd be surprised how good it looks. The canal
boat on Henley is an entirely paper kit. I just downloaded a flat scene row of buildings and a small
British cottage, also, for Henley. FREE!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - November 10 2020 :  12:09:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
I think I had some of those, but not railroad centric, but I used them with the set.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 10 2020 :  02:38:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Printed up some more, the instructions, 11 pages, are quite elaborate, it is made to be a stand alone structure,
but what I really need is a facade of a stone viaduct, so only the necessary parts to create the illusion are
being used. I may, or may not, attempt to create the inner stone arch.

Lost track of the time, realized I had nothing to secure the arch facade to the track, and it was
already past 10 PM. Every single store where I could get maybe some rubber cement buttoned up
for the county curfew. Used pliars to extract the last remaining blobs of JB Weld to affix one
facade to see how the process would go. Trimmed the pillars to fit, and had to use painter's
tape to secure the facade to the slow drying JB Weld, of which I only had enough blob for one
set of arches. So far, looks fairly decent.

If this had been attempted with plastic bridges, I'd have to be doing major surgery on the
scenery base and the resin river. The Modge Podge that was used as a fixative dries hard
as granite, and the resin river would have to be sawed with a rotary blade to cut it. The plastic
bridges started at $20 and went quickly up, plus shipping. Then there is the problem of
getting the bridge to nest under one or two fifteen inch curves. For $3.50 and unlimited
arches, I am very happy with the result. The paper can be trimmed, curved, glued, no
problemo. When I start putting in the snow this thing is really going to pop.

I don't know too many layouts featuring snow. I did one years ago, after a "two seasons layout"
featured by Model Railroader editor, David Popp. His looked a lot better, but then he had unlimited
resources and this was his gift. Me, it's all trial and error. Of course, it will have to be well covered
when not in use because the dust out here is a major deal.

Here was my "two seasons" attempt. One of my very first digital videos, too. I had discovered
that hand held cameras could film. Amazing. Had to have my then middle school daughter show
me how to upload it to Utube.

https://youtu.be/MCTotVdXUg4

That Pola American was quite a nice runner, until I ran it off the Club layout's open lift gate.
A friend, who is a professional model railroader, pieced the confetti back together, and it
looked like nothing ever happened to it and it worked just as good as new. Until I dropped
it again when it got caught on my sleeve, in a cabinet where I was carefully storing it against
further injury. I got it back together, again, it looks good. It will go on the Harte's Mill II
layout.

The layout? Ah. Chopsticks and his buddy Reeves found it and used it as a scratching post. Absolutely
decimated it. They no longer have access to the garage, Chopsticks has since gone to the Great
Litter Box in the Sky, and Reeves is too afraid to leave my room because of the two Huskies,
Chase and Daisy. Chase thinks that Siamese cats are great sport.

Edited by - Chops124 on November 10 2020 02:54:25 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 10 2020 :  08:13:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hey Jeff, When you start a thread with Camden and Amboy 1835 it really gets my interest going. Seeing the river outlet being built it reminds me of Bordentown NJ and an area where both the C&ARR and the Delaware and Raritan Canal ended at the Delaware River. There is a color print showing the scene at this location which I cant find now.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on November 10 2020 12:06:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - November 10 2020 :  09:14:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I really like that winter layout! I will build one someday with lots of skiers and dogs playing in the snow!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 10 2020 :  09:30:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great progress so far!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 10 2020 :  09:32:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
ooooh! nice work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - November 10 2020 :  11:20:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Very nice Chops. I have also thought about using paper for my structures. There was a nice traction layout at Trainfest several years ago where all the structure's were made with paper it looked fantastic.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 10 2020 :  11:36:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'd like to see that print, Frank. I've really enjoyed your First Gen steam
layout, the largest I've seen. Yeah, Bamos, many of these paper structures
are really quite amazing, and can be printed for free. I then glue it to a
think cardboard backing for stiffness, and from there it is super easy
to trim, angle, curve, bend, anything that is required. It's a mental jump
from going from Styrene, but slowly I am making the hop.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 10 2020 :  12:19:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jef I will keep looking in my computer for a copy and also for the book. The date on the picture would be 1835. Back then there were few if any stations. Stations with hotels. I would imagine that a person waiting for the train would be very upset if the train arrived just after another after dinner Conyack was served on his table in front of him. Got to drink it down and run.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 10 2020 :  4:23:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great bit of history! If you can post some repeat, or new, photos of
your First Gen layout, or rebump the original thread, at least, I'd
really enjoy that. That was a terrific piece of work, and I recall you
got it out to a show shortly before the Covid disaster.

I recollect you did some painstaking work on a roundhouse specific
to the time and place. Had some trouble with some particular angles,
if memory serves, but you overcame and presented a beautiful structure.

That print does come to mind, maybe, I remember seeing a visage of
horse drawn carriages and idling steam conveyances in watercolor. A
pivotal piece of witness to history.

This image is attributed to the 1850's, but I'd imagine that this train was long since
sidelined by then.

Edited by - Chops124 on November 10 2020 4:28:41 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 14 2020 :  7:08:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Letitsnowletitsnow... laying in more viaduct. Slow going. Couldn't wait to test out snow effects, it seems that
a watery coat of left over latex sprinkled with WS snow is working out well. Going to be the deuce to remove
the paint and snow from the rails, particularly on the inside head of rail, which is an important contact
point for the flange. I really do hate ballasting, but sometimes you just gotta bite the icicle.

Edited by - Chops124 on November 14 2020 7:12:19 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 14 2020 :  7:50:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I'm cold!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 14 2020 :  8:51:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking good!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 15 2020 :  09:29:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I just read a tip in an MR mag about using an old european freight car with the deep pizza cutter flanges to roll along the track to cut through the snow. This sounds much easier than cutting it out.

also s that exploding kittens!? that's my favorite game!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 22 2020 :  7:38:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Now you tell me! I spent hours and hours carefully scraping out glue and paint from all
contact surfaces. It was a beast, but finally got it right.

Here she is:

https://youtu.be/TJuN2gpBNVM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 22 2020 :  9:25:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Worth a repeat.

Looks great Jeff. Very realistic in a comfortable size.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5896  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 22 2020 :  10:26:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That looks beautiful! The bare trees with ice on their tips, as well as the frozen pond, are INCREDIBLE. Wow!

Actually, I was expecting the answer to be snow.

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - November 23 2020 :  09:59:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I like how there's little bits of snow in the ice it makes it more realistic like some of the snow has blown onto the ice
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - November 24 2020 :  7:42:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:

Printable viaduct. I am discovering there are loads of FREE downloadable kits online, many as
promos for the manufacturers. Really nice stuff, you'd be surprised how good it looks. The canal
boat on Henley is an entirely paper kit. I just downloaded a flat scene row of buildings and a small
British cottage, also, for Henley. FREE!

Originally posted by Chops124 - November 09 2020 :  11:47:28 PM

got some good links for these printables?
some of them are really nice (i've done papercraft model rocketry decades ago) and some of them are really beneficial if you mix in some other media, like popsicle stick wood or (goodness forbid ;) ) 3d printed parts
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 24 2020 :  8:06:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Boiler explosions were so common then that flatcars of cotton bales were placed between loco & passenger cars
also early tracks were just wood beams with strap irons mounted on them
& they would coil up & go into early passenger cars harming ort killing the passengers
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 24 2020 :  11:00:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Just google “free cardstock kits.’ You can add American if you
want. A lot of those companies give out free samples you
can print off your printer. I use cardstock from shirt packaging or from the dollar store as backing.
  Previous Topic: My HO-Scale DB German diesel locomotives in action Topic Next Topic: I shouldn''t be allowed to play with layout softwar  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000