Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 new block/turnout control panel design
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: I shouldn''t be allowed to play with layout softwar Topic Next Topic: Running model trains on ALL 4 of my layouts  

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - November 03 2020 :  2:19:42 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
I realized I'd need a second atlas block/cab switch with all the spurs I stuck on my layout

the I smacked myself on the head " you idiot, you have a 3d printer and an electrical engineering degree"

so I have been toying around with this idea, started with the lower panel just for cab/block switching

the other panel adds turnout controls so I would only have to have one unit, but I fear it'll have a nightmare of wires to connect. still have nto added terminals, but i've done that before

test prinf ot a flat section to make sure I got the hole spacing right

(then I thought about adding buttons for turnouts)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 03 2020 :  2:58:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Dang, top shelf!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 03 2020 :  8:52:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome stuff. Man, I wish I had your talent.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - November 13 2020 :  12:45:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
update

maybe mods want to move this to the Customizing & Kitbashing section

looks like I am heating up the soldering Iron this weekend and maybe next
push buttons on order and won't arrive until sunday(current buttons on there are for testing only)
same with screws the correct length

but that leaves me with lots of wire to attach

panel for 2 cabs, 8 blocks, and 8 turnouts
I currently have 5 turnouts, but I see room for two more
I only have 5 blocks, but when finished I can have up to eight
on my 4x6 layout, i only have 4 straight sections, and three of those are on spurs :)
I have maybe room for one or two more turnouts
more pics once all internal wiring dome
overall screw terminal spacing could be better, but I am full of putting in hours on this
sometimes you gotta shoot the engineer and start production ;)
yes, all can be daisy chained

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 13 2020 :  7:06:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Astonishing! When model railroading was still new, particularly HO, along came Linn Wescott, and
his work in the electrical engineering of model rail, pre DCC was groundbreaking. So interesting
to see you bring it back. My trouble using cab control is perpetually forgetting which way the
polarity is set. The club I used to belong to had a massive blocked affair, so utterly confusing that
only one or two people ever tried to use it, once in a while.

Edited by - Chops124 on November 13 2020 7:11:14 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 13 2020 :  9:23:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Incredible custom work!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - November 14 2020 :  11:18:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
more work, buttons for turnout and shorter screws should be here tomorrow

I think I wrecked a switch, so I'll have to replace, or ignore, since i don't need all 8

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - November 17 2020 :  5:33:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
update, waiting for another order of screws to finish.

printed up some buss strips for the common lines also

you can see the oddball screws in the lower right, just there for placeholding (also on the buss strips too)

fire hazard side :)

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 17 2020 :  9:21:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That looks out of this world. Well done!

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 18 2020 :  01:05:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Wow! That's a really clean design. It looks nice from the top, but the inside is definitely the show-stopper.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: I shouldn''t be allowed to play with layout softwar Topic Next Topic: Running model trains on ALL 4 of my layouts  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000