Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Queensdale Layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Middlebury Topic Next Topic: Bob Ross
Page: of 2

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 26 2023 :  11:22:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Good to see you Todd! Welcome to 3D printing! Yes, the City Hall building is my own design, as is the monorail and station, some of the buses, and a handful of other accessories. The only design I can't take credit for is the Moonliner rocket beside the gas station. I seem to remember the City Hall STLs being a little disorganized....sorry about that. We'd all love to see what you've been up to!

Thanks, Chops! Honestly, it's not been that hard to keep the layout in theme. I enjoy mid-century design and architecture, futurism, etc. If you asked me to build a layout based on a different theme I'd probably have quite a struggle. I set-up a few trolley poles today to test things out. I'm thinking a wire bending tool may be a necessary investment. The corner at the end of the road will need re-working as the curve is too tight for the bus, but otherwise things are looking promising. Amazon sells 9" lengths of 0.9mm wire in a 50pack for $20cad. I can screw up as many times as I need and not ruin any of the original wires.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 27 2023 :  5:43:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Both of the Contemporary houses are now built. Still some details to add as the layout progresses, but the structures are complete.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 01 2023 :  9:50:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I'm still blown away at just how good those contemporary houses look with paint and detailing. Great work!

The bus looks like it is running quite nicely.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 02 2023 :  12:20:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks RP! They're good kits. Literally just rattle can paint and some dollar store acrylics and they pop!

The bus was doing quite well. The last time I had it set up was probably 2007. It will get a lube job before seeing any regular service, but straight out of the box after 15 years it was more than happy to run.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 02 2023 :  2:07:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ditto!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11204  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 22 2023 :  8:58:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
I'm still blown away at just how good those contemporary houses look with paint and detailing. Great work!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - March 01 2023 :  9:50:36 PM

I agree. I'm making the files for my very own house, can't wait to get that done and printed. Going to post some of my prototyping for skyscrapers. I also have an STL you may want Cheese. I modified one I found on thingiverse. Punched out windows and hollowed it. It's a canadian subway car. TTC H6 I believe.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 22 2023 :  9:09:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Here are a couple of pics of the Canadian subway car. I'll post my STL on thingiverse and give credit to the person who made the STL I worked with. He also reworked someone elses. We'll keep improving this thing until it's right. Problem here is, you want to put glass in, going to be real tough since it's one piece. Need to make a removable bottom in the future.

I'll post this in a new forum along with more things I want to get posted. This thread is about our layout, should keep it that way.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 24 2023 :  2:28:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
nice
love the trolley bus too
I'd love to get one of those houses & the actual blueprints to build it irl hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 03 2023 :  4:25:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The subway car and buildings you posted in the other thread look excellent. I've contemplated building a model of my own house as well...

rbturner was kind enough to send me an old Pennsylvania Scale Models diecast trolley car. It was promptly painted up for use on the layout.

I got all the track laid a couple weeks back. Still to do is wire the blocks and finish the trolleybus system.

Edited by - DaCheez on April 03 2023 4:27:50 PM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 23 2023 :  11:41:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I've decided the space under the monorail station needs bumper cars. These are 3D printable models I whipped up based on the 1959 Lusse Auto Skooter. Nine cars will print at once in about an hour.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 24 2023 :  8:12:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5913  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 30 2023 :  12:52:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I built a second batch of improved cars. Gloss spray paint, more pronounced chrome detail, steering wheels, and stingers on these ones.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 31 2023 :  6:06:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Magnifico!! Would it be too much to add a vibrator mechanism
beneath to propel the little critters about?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11204  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 01 2023 :  12:20:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Vibrator mechanism.... like those old tabletop football games? I think I'd do better to set up a motor with a handful of arms fitted with magnets, similar to those Christmas decorations with the animated skaters.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 03 2023 :  03:26:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That sounds clever, too.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 09 2023 :  11:40:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Progress on the newer section has made some headway. Ballast, grass, roads, and the trolley bus system are now in place.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 09 2023 :  11:51:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Da Queen rides again! Brilliant how you used the roadway to accentuate
the sinuous movements of the Einheim. Also, it was genius to incorporate
the bus, and its attendant buses, into the scene. It expands the whole
experience of watching.

The street train scene! That is sublime! I did not fail to notice the
pink cherry blossom tree.

Overall, Queensdale creates a Canadian Futuristic Utopia with
its feet firmly planted in the last century. An alternate reality;
simply mesmerizing.

Edited by - Chops124 on November 09 2023 11:57:58 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 10 2023 :  5:32:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very cute nostalgic setting on your layout.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5913  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 11 2023 :  3:47:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

Chops, the bus garage and Eheim set were a happy coincidence. The depot started as a Walthers fire station I found poorly assembled for $5. I did what I could to rehab it and it's just been sitting on a shelf for the past few years. The bus has been waiting over a decade to be set up. Everything fell in to place here. As for the cherry blossom tree, eventually there will be a full row of them beside the monorail station, and also beside the bus garage. I think more trees might be a good next step...

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 11 2023 :  4:12:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Never would have guessed that for a fire station. The pattern of the Einheim road is really clever.
Was it a shoot from the hip design or did you plot it out carefully, in advance? I've seen other
Einheim layouts, all quite good, but cannot recall any of them using that twist and turn effect
you've got going on there. I opted for a flat oval a. for space, and b. for least problems in running,
though to my surprise these things are quite tolerant.

My own Einheim appears to be running down from hours of happy use: it makes a funny whine and
slips the gear, it seems. I find no means to tighten anything up.

I may have to retire it soon, but the market for these things gets tighter and tighter. Very hard to
find one that hasn't had the Hell run out of it.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 12 2023 :  12:46:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The fire hall is supposed to be brown brick with concrete pillars, but it required paint to cover the previous owners awful glue job. If you look close you can see some of the wall panels were installed upside-down. A few of the garage doors were missing, so they're now just permanently 'open' to let all those diesel fumes out.

I did a partial set up of the bus during planning, mostly just to make sure the turns worked and the bus wasn't going off-roading. Originally that front stretch was straight, but I added the curve as a way to distract from the flat rectangular nature of the layout. The back stretch is curvy to accommodate future installations I have planned. It was really more a matter of shoe-horning the bus in to the existing space.

Are the gears in your bus wearing out? Or perhaps the gear on the motor shaft is slipping? Maybe it just needs oil? I have three buses. The yellow one seen running in the video was basically unused in its box. The orange bus is beat to heck but may be salvageable. The blue bus runs nice except that it has a conductivity issue in the poles. It runs slow on the straights and then takes off in the curves. If it was the opposite I could live with it.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 13 2023 :  4:47:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It's greased up. Seems to be a little wobble in this large drive gear that
turns a pinion gear, if memory serves. I seem to recall it is press fit or
riveted, that large gear. Strange conductivity issue with the blue bus.
I cannot imagine how that happens.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 15 2023 :  1:25:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
They don't seem to be the most user-friendly when it comes to servicing them. Several delicate spots that are press-fit, riveted, etc. I suspect the conductivity issue on mine is at the base of the poles. Each pole has a tiny spring that appears to be relevant in conducting electricity. I'll figure it out eventually...

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 16 2023 :  6:29:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The conductivity to pole to motor, I found, was a cracked solder joint under the base. An easy fix, for me. The
set up is rather simple, rather ingenious. It is worth knowing my well used bus may simply require replacement.
Hope I can find one...

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 26 2023 :  11:49:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Shot another video of the layout. This one has the streetcar running and you can see the new trees going in.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 26 2023 :  1:53:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Shot another video of the layout. This one has the streetcar running and you can see the new trees going in.
Originally posted by DaCheez - December 26 2023 :  11:49:06 AM

The streetcar looks more like an interurban, and those are a rarer bird to find in the model market. I'm wondering who made it.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 26 2023 :  7:28:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Did someone say QUEENSDALE??? Buy me a ticket, I'll take the ride!! Fabulous video of a fabulous
layout. Superb low camera angles. Whole lot of motion in that ocean! Trolley buses prowling,
gracefully zigging and zagging, trolleys rumbling through and through, trains pounding the
rails. Punctuated by these brilliant pink trees! Those must be bubble gum trees! Money doesn't
grow on trees, but bubble gum does in Queensdale!

Hey, the whine of traction and clatter of rail was its own music, but would you be not indisposed
to add a sound track of your choosing? There are a jillion free tracks out there, or for a buck
you can download a tune from iTunes.

Your own personal choosing would be most intriguing, yet I must add that what comes to
mind is the Pee Wee Herman theme song or "Cantina" from the Star Wars film.

Music has this clever way of enhancing perception of photographic and videographic work. It's
why all films have a score.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 26 2023 :  7:50:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoLOtsm_Jow

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsvfptdFXf4

or

?

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 27 2023 :  11:00:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
'Streetcar' is maybe not an entirely accurate term in this case. It's an Indiana Railroad high-speed interurban trolley. In my fictional town it runs service from the suburbs in to downtown (even though it just runs in circles). The model is an old diecast unit made by Pennsylvania Scale Models, which was eventually acquired by Bowser.

Glad you enjoyed it Chops! I used to put music in my videos, but most of them have since been 'muted' by Youtube for copyright infringement. I should really look in to the royalty free music for next time!

Here are some shots of the trees going in.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 27 2023 :  11:37:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
'Streetcar' is maybe not an entirely accurate term in this case. It's an Indiana Railroad high-speed interurban trolley. In my fictional town it runs service from the suburbs in to downtown (even though it just runs in circles). The model is an old diecast unit made by Pennsylvania Scale Models, which was eventually acquired by Bowser.
Originally posted by DaCheez - December 27 2023 :  11:00:39 PM

Thanks for the info on the interurban.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - December 27 2023 :  11:39:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
quote:
Here are a couple of pics of the Canadian subway car. I'll post my STL on thingiverse and give credit to the person who made the STL I worked with. He also reworked someone elses. We'll keep improving this thing until it's right. Problem here is, you want to put glass in, going to be real tough since it's one piece. Need to make a removable bottom in the future.

I'll post this in a new forum along with more things I want to get posted. This thread is about our layout, should keep it that way.

Originally posted by New_York_Central - March 22 2023 :  9:09:37 PM

Hey did you ever post the finished car?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 107  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 21 2024 :  1:13:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Fresh video of the layout. Not much new scenery to see, but the Hornet is back on the rails.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 23 2024 :  4:56:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The gazebo looks new. Much clattering of rails and groaning of traction motors. Very nice. I've been in a
sort of standstill after a burst of frenetic activity. Might try to shoot some model subway today.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Middlebury Topic Next Topic: Bob Ross  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000