Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 N-Scale Santa Fe Paradise
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: More Auto Train Topic Next Topic: N-Scale Alpine Railway updates
Page: of 2

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 06 2020 :  11:15:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
First, a little explanation. I have determined to do something unique with my New N-Scale layout, and that is restrict it solely to Santa Fe equipment (a.k.a locomotives.) The layout will still be freelanced, obviously, but will feature only Santa Fe motive power, from the 1950s to the 1980s, so primarily diesels. I actually got this idea from one YouTube subscriber who commented that the layout looks like it is set in California, which it absolutely does. It will be called "Santa Fe Paradise" for the time being.

Today I re-installed the missing track pieces on the layout, and ordered the 2 missing bridges off of Ebay (a 2nd small Atlas bridge, and a 9 3/4'' Kato bridge to bridge the gap in the tracks in the center-rear of the layout.) Once they arrive, I'll provide an update regarding cleaning the track, fixing the wiring, and getting some N-Scale trains running on the layout.

I also started removing the landscaping/buildings, and vacuuming up the cobwebs on the layout from however long it was in storage previously. It is ready to come to life, and is now basically a blank slate.

A time lapse video of the work is coming out tomorrow, so stay tuned!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - September 07 2020 :  07:55:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
no espee? no rio grande? just, santa fe!?!?

Alright then. I'm ready to see what you make of this!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 07 2020 :  10:59:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yes, Alex, my main reason for doing so is because Santa Fe N-Scale locomotives are fairly cheap, as many were made in large quantities by different manufacturers (obviously, as Santa Fe was like the most popular, colorful railroad of all time.) And, the layout certainly has the rugged western look to it already, which is perfect. Honestly, I just didn't want to run out of locomotive choices for this new layout, as my previous N-Scale layout "The Horseshoe Curve Branch Line" was awesome, but quickly lost steam as I was unable to find good prices on N-Scale PRR, PC, or NYC locomotives, as they are Much more expensive, and were "rarer" roadnames produced by vintage N-guage manufacturers.

Here's the time lapse of the work I did to the layout yesterday. Enjoy all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IULPuaYfl0

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - September 08 2020 :  07:15:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
nice!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 08 2020 :  10:03:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
nice!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-September 08 2020: 07:15:32 AM

Thanks!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 09 2020 :  12:44:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
did you vacuum up the cars??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 09 2020 :  9:29:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss-September 09 2020: 12:44:49 PM

The broken ones, yes, as the previous owner had glued them on and ruined the bottoms. 75% of them were cheap Chinese ones anyways. The "real" N-Scale cars were broken already.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 10 2020 :  10:00:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Good plan.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 10 2020 :  7:58:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Wonderful layout Robert. Look forward to its progress.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 10 2020 :  11:10:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys! Hope to work on it more this weekend.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 11 2020 :  2:49:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss-September 09 2020: 12:44:49 PM

The broken ones, yes, as the previous owner had glued them on and ruined the bottoms. 75% of them were cheap Chinese ones anyways. The "real" N-Scale cars were broken already.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - September 09 2020 :  9:29:08 PM

aw maaan could of used the broken ones for a load or junkyard scene
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 15 2020 :  10:39:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Enjoy this time lapse of me working on my NEW N-Scale layout by installing 2 bridges where they were missing previously, cleaning the track with both Isopropyl Alcohol and the infamous pink eraser, and wiring up the 3 separate sets of wire to 3 individual powerpacks. I soon discovered that 2 of my switch tracks will need to be replaced, and that the front line of track is completely unpowered due to the previous owner "blocking" off power to that section of track with block connectors. Also, all 3 powerpacks are wired to the same line, so only 1 will be necessary - however, I plan on wiring the 2nd one to control the outer "blocked" line so that I can have at least 2 locomotives on the track at one time, but only 1 running. There is still much work to be done before this layout is fully operational, but I couldn't resist running a Bachmann Santa Fe "Warbonnet" F7 to test the inner loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OFcOK58KAI

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 16 2020 :  02:02:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Surprisingly complex routing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - September 16 2020 :  07:11:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 16 2020 :  02:02:05 AM

I agree!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 16 2020 :  9:20:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 16 2020 :  02:02:05 AM

I agree!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-September 16 2020: 07:11:53 AM

Agreed. Not sure why they placed the blocks where they did, but I'll wire it up my own way.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 22 2020 :  10:20:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Still working on the wiring issues, but I did complete the track on the hill, with 2 abutments.

Here is what the layout looks like as a whole. Ready for some scenery, just as soon as I get the track working properly.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 24 2020 :  08:36:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Some of you may be wondering, what are my exact plans regarding this layout? Well, I will 'not' be making a town scene, and unlike the rest of my layouts, there will be minimal buildings on this layout, as I want to model Santa Fe railroading in the west, in the rolling hills of California, Arizona, etc. With that being said, there will be some industry on the layout, particularly a refinery, which most likely will go in the center "valley" of the layout - something I always wanted on a layout but could never "fit." There will definitely be a freight station, or 2, as well as a diesel locomotive fueling/sand station.

I also plan on using Static Grass for the first time, to cover the layout in short grass of different colors, for more realism. Should be fun.

Image credit to Google images

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 04 2020 :  7:18:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I finally figured out the reason why I was experiencing so many issues with the main line on my N-Scale layout....one wire was broken, leading to off-on electrical issues. Snipped-off the bad part of the wire, spliced in some new, and problem solved.

And then I stumbled across another problem - regarding switch tracks. At least 2 to 3 were broken, and 1 led to derailments, hence why I haven't yet been able to capture a video of train action on the layout. I just ordered a few old school Atlas switches off Ebay, so once they arrive, I'll replace the defective switches, to hopefully get optimum performance.

Also, I originally intended on keeping this layout entirely Santa Fe diesel, but then I stumbled across an offer I couldn't refuse. Yes, I bought a Bachmann Santa Fe 4-8-4, in perfect working order, at an extremely good deal!! Either way, my current timeline of the late 1950's to 1970's is still perfect, as it will allow me to model the golden age of steam, all the way up to the golden age of diesel.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 04 2020 :  7:43:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
YESSSSSSSSSSS

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 11 2020 :  4:02:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Update on the 4-8-4 - it is still marked "in transit" from a San Francisco PO since October 5th, so here we go.

However, I did get to workin' on the railroad this morning, particularly, on landscaping. The static grass came out better than I expected it to, and here's the final result:

I first spread some rubber cement glue on the area of the layout I would be working with, then turned on the static applicator (after filling it) and spread out the grass by moving the applicator up/down & back/forth. I did leave some areas bare, for future scenery, and other grass areas thinner than others to simulate real grass as best I possibly could. I did use 2 different types of scenic grass - a burnt green color and gold "wheat" color, and sometimes mixed both for a better effect. Looks awesome, in my opinion!

I also replaced 2 defective switch tracks, so now Santa Fe trains are running smoothly on the layout. A video of train action will be released on Tuesday, so stay tuned.

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 11 2020 :  5:08:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Yay! It looks great! can't wait to see the video!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 11 2020 :  5:34:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Wait, I thought you were going for a Santa fe desert look

Still looks good though

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 11 2020 :  7:29:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

Well, I was, however, the layout already had some scenery on it from the previous owner, but it was bare, not truly desert-like. And, trying to put sand on the layout would have been a recipe for disaster. So, I kinda changed my mind on the landscape.... because Santa Fe did not only run in the deserts of Arizona, but also in the "west" which includes the remainder of the Great Plains, etc, with wide-open spaces, fields, valleys and mountains. The images below are part of my inspiration.

Edited by - RP model railroads on October 11 2020 7:29:48 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 11 2020 :  8:55:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
There will still be desert aspects though, because that's one of the key unique sporting features of these western railroads, right?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 11 2020 :  10:20:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
There will still be desert aspects though, because that's one of the key unique sporting features of these western railroads, right?

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-October 11 2020: 8:55:12 PM

Well, yes, which is one reason I chose a burnt grass color, and also, I did not lay the grass down too thick, and left some areas of the mountains completely exposed to keep the rugged look. At least, that is what I hoped to achieve.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 12 2020 :  07:23:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Stupid me! I didnt notice the mountains!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 12 2020 :  12:31:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, that is a very, very good replication of the photograph!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 12 2020 :  10:00:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Wow, that is a very, very good replication of the photograph!

Originally posted by Chops124-October 12 2020: 12:31:09 PM

Thanks Chops! And, Alex, yes, the mountains play an important part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqU6zxO0yU

Edited by - RP model railroads on October 13 2020 09:10:46 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2020 :  2:58:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Well, the ATSF 4-8-4 arrived last week, and I completely forgot to update everyone. Sorry about that. It is stunning.

Unfortunately, it is having issues navigating the track, with the innumerable switches and grades on the layout which continue to derail it. I will continue fixing these issues to hopefully get it running well.

Also, progress on the layout has stalled until the arrival of 4 custom laser-cut wooden oil derricks, purchased at a fraction of the price you'd typically pay for a high-end oil derrick kit, from an Ebay seller. Now, these will need to be assembled and painted, but I know the 4 oil derricks will not only go perfectly with the western USA theme of the layout, but also will look awesome on the top part of the mountain where the tracks end.

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 18 2020 :  4:25:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:
4 custom laser-cut wooden oil derricks, purchased at a fraction of the price you'd typically pay for a high-end oil derrick kit,

yeah, expect that trend to continue, laser cutting and engraving is seeing the same explosion as 3d printing is. I was kind of confused I didn't see more here, but I guess we haven't see a hobbyist buy one yet. or they bought one for scenery and just got offered $$$$ to do insulated tumbler engraving

even a glowforge(not recommended) can do this stuff in bulk easily if you wanna invest in the original equipment cost.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2020 :  5:37:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
4 custom laser-cut wooden oil derricks, purchased at a fraction of the price you'd typically pay for a high-end oil derrick kit,

yeah, expect that trend to continue, laser cutting and engraving is seeing the same explosion as 3d printing is. I was kind of confused I didn't see more here, but I guess we haven't see a hobbyist buy one yet. or they bought one for scenery and just got offered $$$$ to do insulated tumbler engraving

even a glowforge(not recommended) can do this stuff in bulk easily if you wanna invest in the original equipment cost.

Originally posted by tater1337-October 18 2020: 4:25:18 PM

Certainly, as kits, especially for model railroads, can trend high in price.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 25 2020 :  2:08:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Finally spray-painted the 4 N-Scale oil derricks black, and placed them on the layout. They look great!

The layout itself is coming along slowly, as I continue to find other trains and things for the other 3 layouts, so my attention is equally divided.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 31 2020 :  07:23:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu6_sGWkhKs

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 31 2020 :  11:00:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looking good.

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - October 31 2020 :  12:07:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Awesome! can't wait to see the 4-8-4 in action!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 31 2020 :  9:46:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 08 2020 :  4:45:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
As promised, I did get some new Santa Fe diesels, so here's a video of train action on the Santa Fe Paradise layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vur4nRCTB9U&t=1s

I also did get a good deal on a Walthers Cornerstone "North Island Refinery" kit in N-Scale for the layout, and it is in the process of being built. It is THE most challenging kit I've ever built, needless to say.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 17 2020 :  4:02:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Finally finished the Walther's Cornerstone Oil Refinery kit, after procrastinating for days, and needless to say, it was painstaking. Not at all "easy to assemble" as the box advertised. Nonetheless, it came out nice, and then I decided to weather it with a rust brown paint, and also add black paint around the exhaust stack. This scene is not complete, though, as I now am looking for oil tanks to surround the refinery, and obviously need to change the ground cover.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 17 2020 :  9:12:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
think I'd of drilled out the bottom of the stack & put in a smoke generating kitit things

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 17 2020 :  9:22:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
think I'd of drilled out the bottom of the stack & put in a smoke generating kitit things

Originally posted by microbusss-November 17 2020: 9:12:42 PM

Ya don't say...didn't think of that, but it is possible still, as none of the structures are attached yet. I might consider it.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 18 2020 :  01:08:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Looks good!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 18 2020 :  03:09:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, coming along great. Puzzling your steamer is
being so difficult. Is the gauging right, or does the
long wheelbase cause it to “bridge?â€

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 18 2020 :  2:46:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks!

Yeah, the 4-8-4, with its wheel arrangement, gets tripped at the switch tracks, and also cannot handle the tight curves very well, causing it to derail. Needless to say, it isn't the layout, it is the locomotive......

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 21 2020 :  9:37:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
My N-Scale Paradise layout is coming along, now with a coal depot and oil refinery! Enjoy this short update video, as well as some Bachmann Santa Fe SD40-2 action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33um4RPHByc

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 06 2020 :  1:17:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I did win that auction for 3 custom N-Scale oil tanks, and they arrived about a week or so later.

I then "weathered" them with the same rust-color brown paint that I used on the oil refinery itself. Lastly, I sprinkled down some gray stone and added the complete oil tanks to the oil refinery scene. Looks great!

I also added the same stone under the oil wells, which adds to the scene. I'm not quite done with either scene yet.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 11 2020 :  08:25:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U8wpk_BUic&t=1s

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - December 11 2020 :  09:24:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I love how on this layout there's all sorts of tunnels and grades and the track just goes up and down and then you're not sure which tunnel it's going to come out of!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 11 2020 :  9:24:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I love how on this layout there's all sorts of tunnels and grades and the track just goes up and down and then you're not sure which tunnel it's going to come out of!

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd-December 11 2020: 09:24:39 AM

Thanks!

I like that too, but it also leads to problems, particularly with locomotives in handling the grades hauling 10+ cars, and then the speed of the trains when they go down the inclined track can lead to derailments. More fun than I expected.

Edited by - RP model railroads on December 11 2020 9:25:00 PM

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - December 11 2020 :  9:36:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Steep grades can definitely be trouble sometimes!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 11 2020 :  9:47:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Which is why I am amazed how well the trains work
on the Pure Tyco’s over and under. I really thought
Would be endless headaches, but it seems to be
immaculate.

I thought about using grades for an up and over effect
on the new, unnamed 1880 layout, and quickly abandoned that idea. Going to put a lot of wear on the locomotives, at
the minimum.

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - December 12 2020 :  09:25:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
In HO scale grades are usually better with horn hooks the knuckle couplers just come right uncoupled whenever there's a grade
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: More Auto Train Topic Next Topic: N-Scale Alpine Railway updates  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000