Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Roundhouse 0-6-0T Build
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 3D printed log bunks for skid flatcar Topic Next Topic: The 2-8-8-2 is now a Rio Grande Locomotive!  

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - August 01 2020 :  6:59:50 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Here is my first ever steam locomotive kit build. It took me two weekends and several evenings to finish.

Started off with the frame obviously. Used files to file down all of the flash on the frame. This step took longer than I expected.

Frame free of flash

Started work on the mechanism. Used a round file to file the axles down until I had the it rolling with no resistance.

Mounted the yoke and steam-chest.

Running gear assembled.

Mounted the engine with weight on the frame to test everything. Doing this showed me that the axles were still causing some binding/resistance. I probably re-assembled and disassembled the locomotive 6 or 7 times during this step to get the running gear to roll perfectly.

Decided to re-paint the locomotive. The plastic shell, even though it was painted still had large amounts of plastic flash all over and the mold seem line running down the boiler was attrocious.

First coat of black after painting the smokebox grey.

More paint. I believe I ended up doing 8 coats of black so that I could cover the sanding marks left behind where I removed the mold seem.

Getting there. Paint turned out great.

After hand-painting the bell, whistle, thing on the smoke box, and grabs. The two "splotches" on the paint is where I handled it when I shouldn't have. Oh well, the dull clear coats took care of them, so not a big deal.

Here it is in it's current state. I need to hit it with a few more coats of dull clear but it's finally presentable.

I can't wait to do another one of these sometime. I have several other projects in the work that need attention before I can start another!

Edited by - kristofer4301 on August 01 2020 7:00:54 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 01 2020 :  7:03:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Looks great! Yes, those roundhouse kits have a TON of flash. Not the biggest fan of the gold siderods, but other than that I like it! It is very rare you see one of these actually done up nicely,yours is no exception.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 01 2020 :  7:50:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Kits like that are cool projects. It's a pity that facet of model railroading is not as available as it once was.

I like what you did with yours.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 01 2020 :  8:40:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
All I can say is WOW. Especially these older kits, not a shake-the-box
type project, but require skill and ingenuity.

Back in the day, throwing together an Athearn blue box kit provided
a certain degree of satisfaction that comes from DIY.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - August 01 2020 :  10:39:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Thank you for the kind comments everyone.

This was kit had a lot of “firsts” for me.

I was torn on what to do with the siderods. I figured metallic gold to match the drivers and Wabash decals.

Honestly building kits like this is some of the most fun I’ve had in the hobby in years. I’ve always been a repairman but this stuff is on a whole different level.

I have a new in box Hobbytown of Boston E7 that is at the bottom of the project list. Excited to dive into that when I can.

I have seen a lot of.....less than amazing finished kits, like you said Blax. I think that people see these on eBay (or wherever) for cheap and think it’ll be something they can do in a weekend. I also prefaced this by watching and reading all I could on building a kit like this. Next one should be a lot easier.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 02 2020 :  08:33:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Yeah, all Mantua kits and such built back then were NO FUN! all I see are black boilers, no decals, no trim, no weathering, just built to stock standard. BORING!! I'm glad that you have a different color smokebox, some nice big colorful decals, jewel in the headlight, all very interesting to look at.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 02 2020 :  3:28:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That looks awesome!! Nice work!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 3D printed log bunks for skid flatcar Topic Next Topic: The 2-8-8-2 is now a Rio Grande Locomotive!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000