Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 5 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 TYCO Rolling Bridge Kit - Thoughts?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO PICTURE ILLUSTRATIONS ON PACKAGING Topic Next Topic: HELP: Tyco Gold Mine conveyor belt DROPSY!  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 30 2020 :  11:00:22 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

This Rolling Bridge Kit, by Tyco, has always intrigued me, as it didn't quite fit in with the rest of their structures.

Just wondering, has anyone here ever owned/built one, and if so, how easy/hard was it to assemble, and also, how did it work? I'm assuming that such an accessory would only really be of interest to someone modeling a railroad over a river or in a bay area.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 01 2020 :  12:34:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah but I want the Bachmann Bascule Bridge instead
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 01 2020 :  08:32:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Looks nice
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 04 2020 :  12:35:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I built this bridge in the 1980s and it is a really easy kit to put together. The only difficulty I had was to make sure the rail heights matched when the bridge is closed. I remember that I needed to use thin plastic shims to make it work. I have not used it on my layout though and I did not add a motor to make it operate. Still it is one of my favorite kits, especially since the prototype is about an hour away from where I live.

The prototype is on the Northwestern Pacific RR in Wingo, CA near Sonoma in wine country. An article about scratchbuilding the bridge was published in 1967 in Model Railroader. Here is a link to it: http://www.theweebsite.com/trains/scherzer_build.html

Sometime thereafter AHM introduced their HO scale kit, made by Pola. My guess is that AHM was inspired by this article. Tyco had Pola make the kit for them later, but I don't know what years.

Bridgehunter has a photo of it here: https://bridgehunter.com/ca/sonoma/wingo-lift/

Sonoma Magazine has an article about Wingo, with some pics: https://www.sonomamag.com/wingo-ghost-town/

The bridge is still in use. Here is a freight train blasting across the bridge in 2012:

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 04 2020 :  6:31:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow! Thanks for the info, Redwoods! Sounds like a great kit, and I'm surprised to learn that the prototype was only used for crossing a creek. With that in mind....I might be on the look-out for a good price on one of these, to add to RETRO TYCO.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 05 2020 :  3:01:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This is amazing. Another Tyco piece I never had a clue about.
Does this ever end??? The coal mine, now this???

I'd love to see that on Retro II. You are going to have
an interesting challenge installing it.

1. You'll need an unencumbered straight section of 18 inches.
On my layout, that is some serious Rodeo Drive real estate.

2. The tracks will either have to ramp up and down or the
the bridge will need to sit in a well cut out of the baseboard.
The latter makes more sense.

I gather your Dad is skilled with his hands. Perhaps he can help you
develop a well for the bridge to reside.

This piece rang my bell. Absolutely amazing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 05 2020 :  11:07:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
A spare piece of 18'' track isn't a concern...but I'm still deciding on whether or not I should add it. Yes, my Dad is, and everything I've learned regarding working with my hands & electronics came from him.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 06 2020 :  09:07:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
alot of the NWP tracks are embargoed & some may get abandoned to Rail Trails
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SimonTC
Switcher

SP1Avatar

Posted - April 10 2023 :  5:17:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SimonTC to Buddylist
Are the tracks embedded brass or Tru-steel?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: January 23 2022  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: TYCO PICTURE ILLUSTRATIONS ON PACKAGING Topic Next Topic: HELP: Tyco Gold Mine conveyor belt DROPSY!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000