Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco "GG-1" with "grease glued" transmission
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A Tale of 2 TYCO Santa Fe F9 Freight Bonnets Topic Next Topic: TYCO Baltimore & Ohio 4-6-2  

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 16 2020 :  01:06:42 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Yesterday while going through my boxed-up On30 projects I came across a Tyco pseudo-GG1-1 acquired somewhere in recent years. It was bought knowing it was complete but did not run.
Took a break from my long dormant On30 project revival (one is on a Tyco/Mantua 4-wheel Plymouth mechanism) to dismantle the G and try to troubleshoot it.

First problem is that whatever grease whoever applied who knows when has pretty much "grease-glued" the transmission.

The effort required to remove and free the axles was exponentially more than reasonable.
Was deeply concerned about breaking gear teeth but that seems to have not happened.

I know things can be done about that on these, and even on full size internal combustion vehicles, but do not know what it is.

What I do know is that scratch below on engineer window is really deep and will need filler.
So, I might as well dunk the body in Scalecoat's "Wash Away" to strip all the paint.
And if I'm going to do that, might as well add some pilot details and LED headlights ...

... IF ...

... the motor and transmission can be restored.

So -->

--> I am requesting advice on how to dissolve, loosen, clean, the "grease glue" wihtout damaging the lacquer insulation on the armature windings.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 16 2020 :  08:21:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
What on earth are those beautiful Diesels in the background? I love the paint and look of them. if thats part of your on30 project, you've gotta share them with us!

Sorry, but I don't believe I have any advice on what to do.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 16 2020 :  10:26:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'd use acetone nail polish removal soak. Worked wonders to liberate
some trolley poles from super glue. On my Tyco G I placed double
motors in it, and went from pulling two coaches barely to five
reliably.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 16 2020 :  11:22:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
quote:
What on earth are those beautiful Diesels in the background? I love the paint and look of them. if that's part of your on30 project, you've gotta share them with us!
Here ya go, https://flic.kr/s/aHsktbCzug
There is no On30 layout; after moving to this county seat farm burg in 2007, I crossed paths with someone who started a model RR club in 2009 and the membership went for HO modular. I was the only member who did On30, the only one who had even heard of Gn15, and with my health the mess it is I couldn't both participate in a club and do my own stuff at home & I chose to participate in the club.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 16 2020 :  11:23:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
quote:
I'd use acetone nail polish removal soak. Worked wonders to liberate
some trolley poles from super glue. On my Tyco G I placed double
motors in it, and went from pulling two coaches barely to five
reliably.
Originally posted by Chops124 - May 16 2020 :  10:26:52 AM

Sounds promising, but it isn't certain I can use the acetone without risking a trip to the ER. Lacquer thinner is bad enough that way.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 19 2020 :  12:12:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Try some hardware store alcohol. When I overhaul my PT trucks, I always go through a number of Q-tips soaked in methyl hydrate. Soak the wheels/axles in a little container of the stuff, and clean out the axle slots with the dampened Q-tips.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 19 2020 :  07:01:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
An impressive array of On30. I do hope your health stabilizes, improves.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 19 2020 :  08:35:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Will probably be a couple days before next round of effort on the GG-1.
When removing the lights I tried to not break the posts they were mounted on but did not totally succeed.
Was kind of disappointed by that but not overly heartbroken.
Plan is to mount LED in styrene tubes glued in behind headlight openings.

Am still debating whether to saw off rounded pilots and build flat ones like the GG-1 actually had.
But ...
Since this creation isn't a strictly accurate-to-prototype model, one option is to allow it to be itself and work with the rounded pilots. First thing would be to add some detailing inspired by EMD F9 and other cab units by ALCO , Fairbanks-Morse, and Baldwin.

quote:
An impressive array of On30. I do hope your health stabilizes, improves.

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 19 2020 :  07:01:14 AM

Thanks! And here's an On30 project in progress on a Tyco 4-wheel Plymouth mechanism which is a bit noisy but runs nicely. Its body shell contributed parts to a couple other projects.

My On30 creation's off-center cab was inspired by this critter built be Davenport, http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/cc2.jpg

Still undecided whether headlights will end up on cab roof or on hoods. They are being illuminated with LED taken from some small ones of those solar battery powered yard lights acquired a few years ago on clearance.
Looked at new ones put out for this summer and they have a different style of LED which is less usable for headlights.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 19 2020 :  09:25:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Looking great! I love the paint scheme. That Jade green and Red looks stunning together. Any steam on this line?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 19 2020 :  11:44:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
quote:
Any steam on this line?

Thanks! Yes, about 8 I think.

A Bachmann 0-4-2ST, mostly completed, is repainted, decaled, just needs final details and crew added.

2 IHC HO scale 0-8-0 which I had done up for Atlantic Coast Line have been stripped of all boiler and cab details and had their tenders widened. Have bought some Preiser guys for their crews. Have just barely begun UK style cabs. And they have sat in a box that way for several years. They may end up in a red or brown livery.

1 Bachmann Emily getting de-Thomased.
1 Percy getting de-Thomased & a tender added
1 Thomas getting de-Thomased & a tender added.
1 ROCO German style 0-6-0T having its boiler and cab casting replaced with something scratchbuilt, eventually.
1 0-4-0 US style side tank loco of uncertain origin, Model Power? Life-Like? Tyco? getting a new stack and upper cab and other details.
--> Just went and looked, turns out to be by Lima.

1 Electrotren Spanish 2-4-0T which may or may not lose its HO identity, we shall see.

All have sat in boxes for a number of years, maybe even a full decade, while my limited energy went to participating with the HO modular layout at train club.

I was the only person who did On30 or Gn15 (was the only one who had even heard of Gn15) and there wasn't space for an On30 layout anyway. And it seems that when I do what's naturally my model railroad thing I end up alone & I didn't want to do that with model train club.

So I got back in to HO & would occasionally work on my On30 and take something to run on the club's HO from time to time.

What these are on is the 2ft by 6ft shelf for the On30 in the state it is today and has been for a decade, seriously, a full decade.
Eventually will get cork under the track, which is currently held by sewing pins in to the Styrofoam.
Atlas code 100 track with every other tie removed, similarly have ties removed on the couple of turnouts.

Boxcar is styrene and balsa on Kadee HO trucks. Still needs final roof surface which still needs me to make a decision on what it is to be.
Different types of freight car are different colors.
8 wheel boxcars are greens.
4 wheel boxcars are blues.
Gondola cars are a light maroon. (Testors Model Master Panther Pink as it turns out)
Flat cars are yellow.
Hopper cars - don't have any yet.
Tank cars - don't have any yet.

Eventually red circle decal will have some kind of logo or text.
Willow Creek Traction has a slogan but it is a bit long to apply one Microscale decal letter at a time,
"The Tiger Moon Mountain Line"
At the time that was created I was not aware that the tiger moon phrasing has been used by a number of people for different things. I was also not aware that at least a couple US states have towns named Willow Creek.
WCT is supposed to be set on a semi-tropical island, somewhere, which has a resort at one end and a scientific rocket launch facility at the other.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 19 2020 :  8:28:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Oh wow! I'm interested to see how emily shapes up, as that's a very british design, I'm in love with the 0-4-2. The blue paired with the maroon is gorgeous. It really contrasts well to the color of the diesels. If you find out a way to make custom decals, like for the inside of that red circle, let me know. You should make another thread to document your progress on these locos. Is the ROCO german 0-6-0 s BR80? If so, I might be able to use that shell....

I cant wait to see how you turn some of these British locos into american nartow gauge teapots!

Please do a thread!!

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 19 2020 :  10:50:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Thanks! The blue and maroon are a different company from Willow Creek Traction.
The back story is that WCT is jointly owned by 2 class 1 roads,
Mount Fresco & Saint James River Railway
The Summer River Company
& that each of those has their own narrow gauge operations in scattered places.

MF&SJR uses green and orange inspired by New Haven and Great Northern.
SRCO used that blue and maroon on their 1860s, 1880s era steam, a lighter blue on diesels and electrics, and a slightly lighter and greener blue on 20th century steam.

quote:
Is the ROCO german 0-6-0 s BR80? If so, I might be able to use that shell....
Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - May 19 2020 :  8:28:04 PM

After looking just now on Google, yes, looks to be a BR80.
But ...
There is a question ...
... where is the shell?

Saw it in something a few months ago but do not recall where.

At the rate my body allows me to get things done, and that I want to do different things from time to time, a thread on them might have 4 posts every other year.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 20 2020 :  08:01:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Haha! Same, I've started threads about my stuff, but either finish them too fast, or get lazy!

You have quite the backstory set up for your on30 railroads! This is so interesting!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 23 2020 :  03:39:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ditto on what Blax said!

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 23 2020 :  6:55:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Thanks y'all! not sure what will be able to ever get built from the back story, but while talking stories, a while back I found remnants of some short stories I'd written for my freelance roads, in maybe the 1980s,
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xcrss_Wmr7f6Q6snMRaqC7iJCSeZA3opU7d8gwtsmPw/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Topic: A Tale of 2 TYCO Santa Fe F9 Freight Bonnets Topic Next Topic: TYCO Baltimore & Ohio 4-6-2  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000