Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Set of the week. (SOTW)
 SOTW April 12 to 18, 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: SOTW April 26 to May 2, 2020 Topic Next Topic: SOTW April 5th to April 11th 2020  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 12 2020 :  4:39:29 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

I first saw this set at a model train show in 1994, wanted it bad then, couple decades
later, having successfully launched one child (two to go) finally able to afford it. The
rabbit ears track overhead rails that turn the steering. So, it theoretically should be
able to traverse most surfaces. I have a very old road kit from Woodland Scenics
that uses plaster, going to try that first. This will replace the US1 set up, which while
interesting, was too fast to be really interesting.

Back in 1980 I used to ride the San Francisco Transit system a lot, and enjoyed using the
trolley buses which were abundant. Everyone told me to go to college, so I went to
college, and truly hated it start to finish. Not my bag. Had I listened to the sound of
my own drums, driving for an interesting public transit system, like in San Francisco,
would have been a more productive use of those years.

I have since concluded that every institution of higher learning, is basically selling a
product, and they convince everyone that a college education is just absolutely going
to launch you into the world of business, or whatever. It does not. College grads today
are often not making a lot more than $10 an hour. It is a major sham job, and a lot
of graduates are finding they are left holding the bag on a 40 K loan.

Anyways, San Fran had the cable cars, the trolley busses, street cars, light rail. All the
stuff I naturally gravitated to. Some guys gravitated towards hot rods. I gravitated
towards buses and trains. I love to read, I love to discover, I like to write a bit. Friend,
pop me into a classroom and I feel like the oxygen is getting extracted by the hour.
You know irony? I came from a highly academic family- just another faculty brat.

Like a military brat, only faculty.

I am more of a Ralph Kramden than the Professor on Gilligan's Island.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 12 2020 4:48:07 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 12 2020 :  5:44:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Really neat set and story. The stories are always interesting to read.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 18 2020 :  4:10:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hi Chops. That's a good looking set! I picked up an Eheim trolley bus set years ago. It's been run only once since then, and is a lot of fun. Did your purchase include the wire-bending tool?

Here's my Eheim Trolley Bus set.

And as I also enjoy learning about buses, trains, transit, etc., here is some trivia I discovered yesterday. In the 1950s and 60s GM was experimenting with gas turbine engines in various vehicles. They had a handful of buses converted to run with gas turbines. Here is one of those beasts:
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 18 2020 :  7:05:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I didn't know about a wire bending tool, I was hoping to warp the
rail strips gently into curves. Your Ehiem is an double whammy beaut!

No, I never heard of a turbo charged bus before. That is crazy!
Did they lay rubber??? Some of the GM 40 footers I drove
were supercharged equipped: we called them the "sports buses."

The job had a pleasant, slow rhythm to it. Sometimes watch
the pretty foliage, other times talk to the pretty girls...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 19 2020 :  2:25:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I didn't realize your set had the flat strips, I'm not sure how those were originally supposed to be curved. It can't be too hard though. My set uses what I normally see called 'steel music wire'. It's a little trickier to bend, so the sets came with this little tool, basically three rollers that you fed the wire through. I look forward to seeing your set run!

I couldn't find much on the turbine buses beyond a few pictures unfortunately. As far as I know they were test mules, never actually used in service. It would be cool to see a video. Most buses now have turbochargers, not sure about superchargers. I had the opportunity to test drive an old GM New Look last summer. It had a highway rear-end in it and was quite peppy! That's the only GM bus I've ever driven, so I don't know how it compared to the models you'd be familiar with.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 19 2020 :  3:35:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I gotta find some small screws to fasten the base plates to the
plywood. Going to take a run at the Lowes today, see if they
have anything that small.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 20 2020 :  5:42:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Some small finishing nails might be a good choice, strong enough to hold the masts down, weak enough to pull them up if you'd like to re-arrange.
  Previous Topic: SOTW April 26 to May 2, 2020 Topic Next Topic: SOTW April 5th to April 11th 2020  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000