Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 35 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 RETRO TYCO II
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO updates & My Tyco Collection Tour Topic Next Topic: My NEW N-Scale Layout
Page: of 5

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 14 2020 :  09:43:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I wonder if a p2k E7 chassis would fit under that shell
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 14 2020 :  1:10:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks guys!

WKS, yes, I haven't opened it yet as I'm waiting until I find the perfect spot for it. So, for now, I spared it of dust and left it untouched.

But, it turns out I didn't solve the problem. At certain times, the locomotive just slows down to a crawl while screaming....that is after thoroughly cleaning all gears and then re-lubricating everything. :(

I also replaced all 3 drive wheels with other spare ones I had, just to see, and still it does the same thing, without rhyme or reason.

Does anyone else have an idea of what's going on here? I'm completely stumped by this.

I can get a video, if that helps.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 25 2020 :  9:41:16 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but if you haven't already figured this issue out, that squealing combined with a sudden slow-down is usually caused by a dry armature bearing. Look at the side of the PT where the brushes are mounted. In between the two brass plates you can see the armature shaft poking out through the side of the motor. Put a very tiny drop of oil on the shaft. It should fix your issue.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3320  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 14 2020 :  3:40:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Hmmm...DaCheez....did not try that. A little too late on this one but I still have that other ICG C630 that screams. Will try your tip with it and post the results here.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 15 2020 :  01:09:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I've had a number of engines with that issue over the years, and that's always been the source. Let me know!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3320  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 15 2020 :  01:47:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
The slot cars get that same dry armature squeel that gets that drop also!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 16 2020 :  7:23:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Most interesting. Yes, will check out my ICG C630 ASAP.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2020 :  3:00:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
COMING SOON - TYCO Burlington Northern C430, RF16 "Shark", and GP20 PowerTorque Power video. Stay tuned!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 18 2020 :  3:12:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Is this layout finished?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2020 :  5:38:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Is this layout finished?

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-October 18 2020: 3:12:14 PM

Nope, it is forever "98% complete" as I'll be adding and changing things over time, which keeps the layout interesting. Especially, as I continue to hunt down rarer and rarer Tyco things.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 18 2020 :  8:50:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I see

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 09 2020 :  9:58:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks to 2 yellow horns obtained in recent trade with Aaron, my Tyco Milwaukee E7 is finally complete! Just needs traction tires, and it will be running on RETRO TYCO real soon.

And, BIG NEWS. I FINALLY GOT IT! The TYCO Grand Trunk C430!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is clearly missing horns and couplers, and the seller said it didn't run, but at $40 bucks shipped for this lot of 2 Tyco's, including the GT C430, I know I got a good deal. Can't wait to bring the GT C430 back to life.

Image credit to Ebay seller

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 09 2020 :  10:09:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Man-oh-man, you got yourself the elusive TRUNK. Nice work, I'm sure
you'll have it up and running in now time. I do like the CR F, seeing
yours makes me want to take mine down from the shelf and get some
run time on it. Big Blue, I think they called that logo "The Can Opener."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 10 2020 :  09:31:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Man-oh-man, you got yourself the elusive TRUNK. Nice work, I'm sure
you'll have it up and running in now time. I do like the CR F, seeing
yours makes me want to take mine down from the shelf and get some
run time on it. Big Blue, I think they called that logo "The Can Opener."

Originally posted by Chops124-November 09 2020: 10:09:39 PM

Thanks Chops! Yes, that will be my second Tyco CR F9....and I believe the seller said it ran, so I'll be fixing it up for the collection also.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 25 2021 :  2:35:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

We look forward to more updates Robert.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5897  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 25 2021 :  5:02:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This is really a bit more than a past time. What RP is doing here is
capturing a piece of Americana that just isn't getting captured.
To my knowledge. no one anywhere is doing a Pure Tyco retroactive
display of mint condition working models.

People used to throw tinplate models into scrap drives, and a lot of
old Lionel is gone to history. RP is looking ahead and doing a
superlative job.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 25 2021 :  8:03:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank You, Chops and WKS. Yes, I really intended for RETRO TYCO to be a Tyco museum and at this point, finding the rarer and more expensive cars and locomotives to add to my collection, at good prices and in good condition, is going to be a slow but loving process. So, updates and videos will be sparse, unfortunately....at least until the new additional drawers are finally finished.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 25 2021 :  9:28:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, it exists, and I know of none other anywhere.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 23 2021 :  8:17:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Well, the plan was that once I filled-up the 4 drawers beneath RETRO TYCO, that then the rest of the space under the table would be used for more drawers. Needless to say, my Tyco collection surpassed the capacity of those 4 drawers a while ago, but work and other stuff took precedence. This weekend, however, with help from Dad, we finished building 12 new custom drawers out of plywood and flakeboard (much like the previous 4) which will be under the table on all sides. 4 of the new drawers are the exact same size (40'' wide) as the first 4 (for the opposite side) while the other 8 are larger (44'' wide), to fill the space on both sides under the table, to the left of the first 4 drawers. Also, these drawers have been painted white on the front, with the ultimate goal of adding the same nickel-silver handles to the original 4, and painting the front of them as well as the table legs and all exposed wood (aside from the control table) white. It is going to be epic when complete, and will give RETRO TYCO an insane amount of storage that will probably last me my lifetime.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 31 2021 :  9:11:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
After several weekends and many hours, all of the 12 custom drawers have been installed under RETRO TYCO, and the legs and exposed wood on the sides (along with the original 4 drawers) have been painted white. The final result, while not perfect, looks great, and has given me ample room to store my Tyco collection. A video showcasing my collection will be coming out soon, so please stay tuned.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO updates & My Tyco Collection Tour Topic Next Topic: My NEW N-Scale Layout  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000