Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Car of the Week (COTW)
 COTW August 4 to 10, 2019
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: COTW 8-11-19 to 8-17-19 Topic Next Topic: COTW July 21 to 27, 2019  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 04 2019 :  10:52:59 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Those of you who have been following my posts from other forums already know that while I was chasing the UP 4014 I also discovered a really cool hobby shop in the Chicago area called "America'a Best Train, Toy & Hobby". In addition to the Varney F3 that I bought from this shop, I also brought home some other pieces of cool rolling stock. Pictured below is one of the cars I found....

I picked up this car mainly for the neat Tiger caricature, it reminds me of Hobbs from the Calvin and Hobbs comic strip but predates the cartoon by six years.

The car itself is also interesting, I thought at first it was an AHM product but it is not. I had to remove the trucks to find the makers mark on the under frame, "Playart". I'm not really familiar with this brand, I know they made some really cheap HO locomotives at some point but this is the first car I have found that was produced by them. Of note, it's a fairly accurate representation of a PS-1 boxcar, it would make a really nice model by simply replacing the roof walk, corner stirrups, brake wheel, trucks, and couplers.

I think I will replace the trucks and couplers but leave the rest of the car "as is".

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - August 04 2019 :  11:23:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 05 2019 :  06:21:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a bit of model railroading hobby shop history, E&H Model Hobbies of Philadelphia. This is a Varney two bay covered hopper. I have another one in blue somewhere. This is a dated promotional car date Feb 1956 could be when this car was made.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on August 05 2019 06:30:13 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 05 2019 :  4:04:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

I glommed onto this Armstrong Thrall piece cause my grand dad worked for Armstrong
all his life. He had some stories.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 05 2019 :  4:11:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Playart was the brand Model Power used to make their freight cars
& they also made diecast vehicles
Plus Road Mates is a Sears brand but is Playart too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 05 2019 :  6:48:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - August 05 2019 :  4:11:15 PM

Wait what? Playart made Model Power products?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 05 2019 :  7:47:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - August 05 2019 :  4:11:15 PM

Wait what? Playart made Model Power products?

Originally posted by Srenchin - August 05 2019 :  6:48:51 PM

yes cause I have a Rio Grande hopper car in a Model Power box that has Playart on the bottom
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - August 06 2019 :  07:26:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
From what I understand Playart was an existing toy company (I remember having a few of their old toy cars from the 70s as a kid) that got into making cheap HO trains, and later sold their product line to Model Power. Could be wrong tho
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 06 2019 :  10:28:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
From what I understand Playart was an existing toy company (I remember having a few of their old toy cars from the 70s as a kid) that got into making cheap HO trains, and later sold their product line to Model Power. Could be wrong tho

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - August 06 2019 :  07:26:45 AM

like these?

yup trucks were made too
& the 66 Batmobile!

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 06 2019 :  6:32:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - August 06 2019 :  07:26:45 AM

I did briefly own this Playart HO Steam locomotive which came in a lot of engines I won on Ebay...

It is clearly a crudely made product based on a German prototype, the box was still factory sealed so I didn't test run it to see how it performed. I am just surprised that this reasonable well rendered PS-1 boxcar model shown here...

was produced by the same outfit.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 08 2019 :  10:19:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's a crazy loco Strenchin. I've got a couple of Play Art British
locomotives, a few wagons. Fun stuff, that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Heihachi_73
Switcher

Posted - August 08 2019 :  6:26:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Heihachi_73 to Buddylist
I have a Playart BN center flow hopper lying around somewhere, the printed (sprayed on?) decals are terrible, all the text is crooked and distorted. I first thought it was a Tyco when I got it at a model train show but noticed it was slightly different when I got back home and then saw the Playart logo under the car.

One thing to note about Playart freight cars, the trucks are made out of regular hard plastic rather than nylon (or whatever the normal self-lubricating plastic is), and without adding lube to the axle boxes (pencil lead in my case) they will ream themselves out in no time. The trucks clip into the car exactly the same way as Tyco, Life-Like and Lima so it shouldn't be too hard to replace them if they are worn out.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: April 29 2016  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: COTW 8-11-19 to 8-17-19 Topic Next Topic: COTW July 21 to 27, 2019  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000