Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW July 28 to August 3, 2019
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW: August 4th - August 10th Topic Next Topic: LOTW July 21 to July 27, 2019  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 28 2019 :  12:59:18 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The Busss put the idea in my head, and I couldn't resist. This be an
Ahearn DD40-X that I was able to haggle off eBay. Of course, only UP
ever had these monsters, and I believe the prototype was made to
bend in the middle, where the hole is. Well, neither did my beloved
PC ever have them...but THEY WILL NOW!!!

The railings and glass are superglued on, so I'm going to have to
spend some time masking them up. Right now I am leaning towards
asylum green, with the red and white lettering...

Check out that mad drive shaft.

Thank you, Busss, awesome idea!

Edited by - Chops124 on July 28 2019 01:00:26 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 28 2019 :  01:13:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
what idea?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 28 2019 :  1:26:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A while back you mentioned how cool this would look in PC.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 28 2019 :  10:13:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 28 2019 :  1:26:21 PM

ah yes
a fantasy unit & you could make it a demo unit that the PC would try it out
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 28 2019 :  10:22:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Here is an interesting locomotive I found among the "used equipment" shelves at my local hobby shop. A custom painted Varney NW 2 lettered for the "Union Terminal".

Note that all wheels are brass yet this model only had power pick up from the front motor truck. I upgraded this locomotive by adding phosphor bronze wire wheel wipers to the cab end truck to give this engine eight wheel power pick up.

With "all wheel power pick up", this model's performance is much improved but its speed range is still way to high for a switch engine.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on July 28 2019 11:11:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 29 2019 :  12:41:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Like your PC piece in the Kit Bash Column, this is absolutely
mega cool. Check out that transmission! Yeah, I get that,
it runs too fast. Manufacturer's did not seem to realize, until
way late in the game, that HO guys, and OO, for the most part,
like our junk to run sloooow, especially switchers and Climaxes,
and box cabs. I think Roundhouse was one of the first to
get the right idea with its lovely old Box Cab.

Edited by - Chops124 on July 29 2019 12:41:45 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 29 2019 :  12:43:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 28 2019 :  1:26:21 PM

ah yes
a fantasy unit & you could make it a demo unit that the PC would try it out

Originally posted by microbusss - July 28 2019 :  10:13:36 PM

Yep, once you mentioned that, I couldn't get the idea out of my head. I believe the
photo was a fantasy PRR DD 40-X. This would never have entered me noggin' if
you hadn't mentioned it.

Went to paint it up today, but my green had dried up!!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 29 2019 :  07:17:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Going along with ODD and Different I have from last sundays Hamburg train show a custom painted GE U-25C, the one Rivarossi made for AHM. It is painted for the Reading.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 29 2019 07:22:53 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 29 2019 :  7:40:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I like the diesel choices this week, esp. that SP DD40. Southern Pacific actually had three DD35s without cabs - see a picture here: http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/dd35_photos/8401_sp-dd35-rob_sarberenyi.jpg

My LOTW is not a diesel, but it did run in 1969 for the Golden Spike Centennial Limited. It's a late model Rivarossi 2-8-4 in American Railroads livery.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 31 2019 :  11:04:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
After I saw the UP 4014 at West Chicago, I decided to swing by a place called " America's Best Train & Hobby " located in Itasca Illinois. If you are ever in the Chicago area you HAVE TO GO THERE!! This place is HO collector heaven, you could probably spend a day looking through their bins of old train equipment and still not see everything. Anyway, while I was digging through their inventory I found this little gem, an antique HO Varney F3...

This locomotive was wrapped in a plastic bag labeled...
NOT WORKING
SOLD AS-IS
FOR PARTS OR PLAY
NO RETURNS

They were only asking $9.99 for it, for that price how can you go wrong?
I will start another post describing my attempt to bring this baby back to life....

Edited by - Srenchin on July 31 2019 11:10:12 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 01 2019 :  10:07:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool
IF I see my sister in Chicago I'll ask if we can go there

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - August 01 2019 :  2:46:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
I went to Americas Best last year and spent way to much money on TYCO. While talking to the owner he said there is a back room as big as the store filled with trains he doesn't have room to put out.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 01 2019 :  7:31:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
cool
IF I see my sister in Chicago I'll ask if we can go there

Originally posted by microbusss - August 01 2019 :  10:07:30 AM

I would recommend that you have your sister drop you off early in the day so you can spend a few hours there! No joke, you will not want to leave for at least three hours! They do take all major credit cards if you have one, if not bring plenty of cash! If you do get dropped off, you may want to pack a lunch so you don't have to take a long hike to get a bite to eat.

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - August 01 2019 :  9:21:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Long time no post.

Here's a mysterious F unit I picked up at a flea market last week. It's got this weird drive mechanism and if anyone could help me identify it I would be very grateful.

Also, sorry for the lack of posts. Once I completed my "every Tyco Alco 430" collection I felt I like I was done with TYCO. Well, it turns out I'm not and I'm probably going to start hording as much MIB Spirit of 76 stuff I can find.

This is a replacement Athearn shell. It came with a cracked Tyco or maybe Athearn shell so I just found this one for cheap and swapped it. I also picked up a lot of detail parts and I plan on detailing this model to make it more "scale."

Anyways, look at this mechanism!

Vertical mounted motor. (Reminds me a lot of the Lionel vertical mounted motors in their FAs and later F3's)

And the really interesting part. A chain(?) driven train! It has the regular vertical worm gear connected to one geared axle. And then to send power to the rear axle it uses this chain. I would definitely say this is factory as there is just the perfect amount of room between the metal slots on the axles for this chain to run.

Does it function?

Yes. It was hesitant but after I cleaned the brushes and springs of the motor it runs fine. I don't have anywhere to run it so I can't tell you if it will pull any cars or not. The frame is all metal and it has enough weight to it so I'm sure it will out-perform a Powertorque driven locmotive(what doesn't lol). Also the front set of truck are for electrical pickup only. This model has 4-wheel pickup (two front, two back.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Heihachi_73
Switcher

Posted - August 03 2019 :  07:46:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Heihachi_73 to Buddylist
Srenchin's Varney F3 would go nicely with my matching B unit that someone on eBay thought was a steam loco tender. :)
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: April 29 2016  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW: August 4th - August 10th Topic Next Topic: LOTW July 21 to July 27, 2019  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000