Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Life-Like Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Proto Series locos - with a click
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LifeLike Santa Fe  Topic Next Topic: NEX Navy Exchange 40'' boxcar  

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - July 19 2019 :  12:33:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
I am watching some Proto series locos on e-bay uk which are described as making a clicking noise when they run. I have seen this mentioned before on other lots.

I am hesitating to bid as that sounds like it could be gearing?

Anyone got any ideas?

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator 

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 19 2019 :  6:51:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Sounds like a broken axle gear, a typical ailment of Proto 2000 locomotives. Fortunately it's not difficult to replace broken axle gears with new ones. I would recommend going to www.walthers.com to order some new gears. GOOD LUCK!!
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - July 19 2019 :  6:54:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
That would be cracked axle gears. It is a common problem with particular models of P2K locos, especially earlier ones.

You can find replacement axle gears on ebay, or Athearn Blue Box axle gears are a direct swap-in as well.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - July 20 2019 :  12:47:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Thanks Guys,

Very helpful replies . Knowing that gives me confidence to have a bid!

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 21 2019 :  2:30:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I am watching some Proto series locos on e-bay uk which are described as making a clicking noise when they run. I have seen this mentioned before on other lots.

I am hesitating to bid as that sounds like it could be gearing?

Anyone got any ideas?

James

Originally posted by Highwayman97 - July 19 2019 :  12:33:43 PM

As everyone else said, that’s a broken axle. I know this from personal experience. I got an old P2K BL-2 for $40 brand new at a train show a few years back, and the first thing I noticed was the loud clicking noise. All I had to do to fix that was plop in some old Athearn Blue Box gears I had lying around and after about half an hour of running in the gears, she runs like new!

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 21 2019 2:30:54 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LifeLike Santa Fe  Topic Next Topic: NEX Navy Exchange 40'' boxcar  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000