Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Attic layout 2019- 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Crummy transformer holding up the bus Topic Next Topic: Wrecking Crew on the PC
Page: of 2

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 15 2019 :  07:14:26 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I am getting older and will try to get a layout running to enjoy my trains on. So far just main lines are done and tie in to yard maintenance area is just started. A back piece with a later on shaped hilltop them later ribbing for strength was done then rounding off the hilltop. A roadway was added going up one side of the hill. I started to add the y track reversing track . With this smaller running layout I didn't want to put a reverse loop in with another tunnel through the hill. That is where I am now.
frank
1 Just the hill supporting board is added.

2-hilltop is shaped and track is done.

3-ribbing to make it stronger.

4- roadway support in.

5- The "Y" track still not done. waiting for completion of the hill area.

Thanks Bob, Gary and Richie for your encouragement.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on March 19 2020 07:07:55 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 15 2019 :  08:02:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking good, TopTrain!! Keep up the great work!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - July 15 2019 :  09:17:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
It looks like you're off to a good start. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 15 2019 :  11:58:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Interesting new set up Frank. I know you like to have your engines and cars exercise around your layout. Look forward to more photos.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5843  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 15 2019 :  6:55:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very interesting Y diversion, I have not seen that done before. I am guessing the diversion goes to a
staging yard or yard, and the cross over allows
the train to divert from outer to inner.
Very slick. I like it.

Edited by - Chops124 on July 15 2019 6:56:22 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 21 2019 :  08:38:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist

Here is my layout today still not done.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 21 2019 :  08:39:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist

Here is a second view from the other end.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - September 21 2019 :  1:25:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Very nice rock work and layout Toptrain. I've been working with some
plastering myself lately. I have a love hate relationship with it I love the way it transforms the layout but hate the way the way the white shows
through when you accidentally hit something against it.

Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 21 2019 :  3:50:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice, Frank! I agree with Bamos on the plaster... I have not done it again since the 1970s. My slot car bridge was done with light cardboard as a base and auto-body filler to cover it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 21 2019 :  8:52:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hi Bill and Walt. I do agree that plaster can easily be damaged. I am looking to make this appear like a river gorge with all is rocky outcroppings, steep treed slops, and interesting hill tops with mudslide areas and everything else you see in nature, even a flower or two.
frank

toptrain

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 21 2019 :  10:12:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks impressive, Frank! Can't wait to see more of your progress.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 21 2019 :  10:22:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
It does look really good, Frank!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 27 2019 :  07:47:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is where I am today with the layout.
frank

toptrain

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 27 2019 :  12:48:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looks great Frank. Glad you are enjoying your new layout.
Look forward to more photos and possible videos of it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5843  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 27 2019 :  5:29:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 31 2019 :  08:36:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The big brown hill is growing.
frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 31 2019 :  10:44:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I do believe it looks like a valley in Jim Thorpe, PA, though I have only seen JT
from WKS photography.

I've known several guys in my age bracket who bit hard on model rail, and
ended up trying to build empires only to get bogged down. It is wise to
build something of reasonable size that can be put to good use than
build a metropolis that requires constant tuning, repairs, and the rest of
it. Honestly, it has been a struggle to keep Armadilloville in the 4x8 size,
and I recently added on another 4x4 to manage my structure acquisitions.

It has to share the garage with my 4x8 Hornby layout, and I keep wanting to
build more micro layouts in addition to the trolley layout and the Harte's Mill
layout: finish the subway point-to-point, a 3x4 AHM layout, a micro 3.5 x 3.5
Florida Everglades layout, and a First Gen 3x3 micro layout.

I am fortunate that El Paso has a model train club that enables me to run
long trains, which is not practical for the 4x8 Armadilloville.

Anyways, congratulations on keeping a fairly tight reign on your ambitions- that
will enable you to run and show your extraordinary Dawn-of-HO collection.
From whatever I've read, HO was really like Z, or even T scale, up until
the later 1950's. Before that, one had to do most of it from scratch or
a few rather crude kits that required a lot of filing and fitting.

I remember when "Postage Stamp Trains," N scale was coming into the fore,
back in the mid 1970's, and we were all amazed. Stuff ran like crud, too:
either full of or 242 SMPH and couplers that looked like miniature fists.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 31 2019 10:48:11 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 22 2019 :  7:50:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jeff, this is my basic plain for this layout. The swinging gate bridge will need some changes to remove at least half of the 3, 90 degree turns that are shown in the same section of track.. I’ll try for closer to 3, 45 degree turns. I am certain I can improve on what you see on the drawing.
As to joining a club, all clubs here have converted to DCC. None of them will let your run DC trains.
frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 22 2019 :  9:56:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
this the kind of thing I want to do with that N scale Red Oak Line that MR did a year or so ago but in HO scale instead
I'd do it with a modern twist to like just after BN took over
Modernize a few sections too

looking good yours is

Edited by - microbusss on November 22 2019 9:57:11 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 24 2019 :  07:59:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The last quarter os the hill has been built. Now all that is left to do is the trees bushes grass and brush. Then move on to the next section of the layout.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 24 2019 08:20:25 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 24 2019 :  08:21:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Second layout photo;
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 24 2019 :  08:23:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Third layout photo view.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 24 2019 :  08:25:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
forth layout photo view.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 24 2019 08:29:30 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 24 2019 :  08:35:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Last view of the Layout today.
Loco chose to run special train is a Varney little Joe!
Now onto the work to be done at the station in the Y, and what lays beyond.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 24 2019 08:49:41 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 24 2019 :  10:58:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It's really starting to take shape. The hidden staging yard makes
this creation perfect for show and tell of all these great pieces.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 24 2019 :  10:55:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking good TopTrain!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 28 2019 :  06:28:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well The town on the south side of the hill is Deep Gulch. The town on the North side hasn't been named just yet. There is a lot of noisy town meetings going on to decide the name. I'll tell everyone once they make up their minds, and inform me. The new construction on the south side going on right now is for its first Hotel. Their is some dispute over its name, but I know what it will be because I seen the sign they will put up on the roof.
As to the construction, here is where the hotel is right now.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 09 2019 :  9:09:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well the layout expansion has gone under way. It probably looks like very little is done. I do have some more hours into this new whatever it will be. I have been planning it as I go.
I sent these photos to wks and now realize they should go here also.
frank

toptrain

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 09 2019 :  9:39:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking good! Keep it up, Frank!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 10 2019 :  12:12:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, this looks like a major staging yard taking shape for
rolling out all those great vintage pieces. Great concept.
I envy how neatly everything is organized in the background.
Clutter is my Waterloo.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 13 2019 :  6:20:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is what the yard looks like. I am not done with it yet.
frank

toptrain

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 13 2019 :  7:13:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos of your layout. This yard is reminiscent of the yard on your previous layout Frank.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 13 2019 :  7:44:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Richie it was the same on the left side but different on the right . This made the yards longer on the old layout. I really liked the yard in the old layout. If i didn't need to clear out the center attic room for a new rug it would still be there.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 20 2019 :  06:01:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I've had the set at least 40 hours and now the cars of it are all ready for a picture.
frank

HObbyline set #466 " The Frontiersman " A Western Pacific Railroad Train Set.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 20 2019 06:07:53 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 20 2019 :  06:34:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That looks great Top Train The Southern Mansion
In the background looks perfect. Also seen houses
Like that in Denver. Your scenery allows for
Different geography just by sliding a new road name
Through- a great visual trick.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 20 2019 :  11:18:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice engine Frank. Seems your layout is evolving with every new photo.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 20 2019 :  8:35:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Love the retro-ness!!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 20 2019 :  9:04:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I know what the town is missing!
the Railroad Hotel kit!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 20 2019 :  9:55:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hey Buss , You if you reconcoginzed The 3 story wood kit I am working on. I painted it blue a few days ago. It is red now. I need to do the trim white,and the floors of the porches i don't know what color they will be. I have come fencing for railings which should look good. We will see how it comes out. I am tempted to put a Mansard roof instead of a flat roof on it. Again we we'll see pal. The special roof I will have to make from scratch. And what good would this roof be without at least 2 dormer windows on each side. Lots to make and do before I am through.
Buss did you notice the Rock Island Rocket?
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 26 2019 7:56:32 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 26 2019 :  8:04:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the Grand Hotel completed filling in the Old Quarry here in what is known as Rockport.
frank

This is one of the buildings in the OLD West Miniature town by Dura-Craft. Next to be done is the Victorian Mansion. Here is the kit box.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 26 2019 8:08:55 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 26 2019 :  9:12:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks awesome - great craftsmanship, Frank!

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 26 2019 :  9:16:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very nice hotel, Frank !

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 27 2019 :  12:32:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The Dinky toy behind the hotel is
A great detail.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 28 2019 :  6:46:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Thanks everyone. I moved the 5 shelf unit to over where it was before to open the way for a new table or tables To provide space for my new engine facility.
frank

In here is my open space to fill.

The old spot in the dormer.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 28 2019 6:50:46 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 30 2019 :  07:40:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a drawing of my new train board and where it is going. I haven't got it yet.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 30 2019 08:45:53 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 30 2019 :  3:42:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It keeps growing!

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - January 01 2020 :  04:24:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Layout is looking good. I like the new train board it eliminates that S curve.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 02 2020 :  08:15:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A few days of work with some help from my wife and son in law. and a table has taken form. A few more legs put on today and the table is done. Next the bridge and track with iit into mane line.
frank

toptrain

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 02 2020 :  9:22:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking good! Keep us updated!

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - January 04 2020 :  6:58:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
The new table looks good Frank. I have the same ploblem with the turntable even with the smallest one I could find it's still not enough room for everything I want.
I could not see your Video is set to private still, need to change to public or view with link.

Bill

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 04 2020 :  10:08:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
The new table looks good Frank. I have the same ploblem with the turntable even with the smallest one I could find it's still not enough room for everything I want.
I could not see your Video is set to private still, need to change to public or view with link.

Originally posted by Bamos - January 04 2020 :  6:58:55 PM

Bill I just didn't like and deleted it.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 05 2020 8:00:24 PM
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Crummy transformer holding up the bus Topic Next Topic: Wrecking Crew on the PC  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000