Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 The Downhill & Rock Bottom Rwy
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Ephrata Valley Project Topic Next Topic: HO Swingmaster
Page: of 2

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - January 15 2019 :  7:36:35 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I'm building a fleet of fictional engines based off NP and GN style engines with a Gorre and Daphetid approach. It'll be set in the early 50's and set in the Pacific Northwest. I'll post current projects and future projects here. Some engines are getting serious surgery and some will remain fairly stock.

First is a PFM Frisco 2-10-0. Bought as is with a PFM ATSF 1950 class tender from thier 2-8-0. It'll get decals, lights and window glazing. The paint is nice.

Next up is a Cary Mantua 2-8-2. It's nicely detailed. It'll get a pilot and ladders, better tender details and a paint job. The Vanderbilt tender is my Mantua.

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - January 15 2019 :  7:38:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Next is a interesting model. It's a Mantua 2-8-0 out of a 2-6-2. It has a Mellor frame kit to make it into a 2-8-0. It has a NWSL brass NP tender and some details installed, a Mantua 2-6-6-2 smoke box door and a dome cut off. It'll a be a road Switcher. Like how it's shaping up.

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - January 15 2019 :  7:40:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
[quote]Next is a interesting model. It's a Mantua 2-8-0 out of a 2-6-2. It has a Mellor frame kit to make it into a 2-8-0. It has a NWSL brass NP tender and some details installed, a Mantua 2-6-6-2 smoke box door and a dome cut off. It'll a be a road Switcher. Like how it's shaping up.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - January 15 2019 :  7:43:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Another major work over. It started out as a Varney Casey Jones 4-6-0. I cut out the #3 driver and and cut the boiler down to length. I gotta strip the paint, rejoin the boiler and machine new piston rods.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - January 15 2019 :  7:50:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Next is a Tyco 2-8-0. The mechanism is a motor, gears and axle from a Mantua 0-4-0. The tender is a Rivarossi 0-8-0. Haven't decided if I wanna move forward. The engine is bindy at low speeds and very loud. Have made all sorts of adjustments.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 11 2019 :  06:13:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Here is a new project. It's a PFM ATSF 2-8-0 1950 class in HO. I enjoy the 2-8-0's and want to build another one for my Fictional Downhill and Rock Bottom Rwy. I decided it would be this one. It has a ways to go. I've since then soldered on a new power reverse and a head light bracket. I also made a couple solder repairs on some parts here and there. I unsoldered the cab vent/hatch and the pilot. I'll eventually get a new pilot, bell and cab hatches. I also plan on using a different tender. It's my first Brass bash.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 11 2019 :  06:14:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

Another in progress model. A Mantua 4-6-2 with a Rivarossi tender from a Berkshire.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 11 2019 :  5:15:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
You been busy. Looks like the interior of a KW. Do you work on your
trains while on the road? This will be some pike!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 11 2019 :  11:30:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Yes I do. No KW here, just a International Prostar but it has a Cummins and a 10 speed!

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 11 2019 :  11:50:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice, Justin !
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 12 2019 :  08:21:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Justin you got a good plain and some worthy equipment. I'll be following the build if you post.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 12 2019 :  3:12:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
On the road again...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 14 2019 :  01:09:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

A recent Kitbash nearly done. Only needs paint, a bell installed, decals and the reverse light installed. I weathered the engine as well. It'll get a little more weathering when done. It started life as a box stock MHC 2-6-0. I shortened the tender and scratch built a new coal bunker.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 14 2019 :  01:14:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

A Mantua 0-8-0 in progress. I've added a few new details. It's getting a Rivarossi 0-8-0 tender soon. It still needs a few more details added, pilot mounted and the motor put back in. Then off to paint.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 14 2019 :  01:21:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

A Varney 4-6-0 under the knife. I since then replaced the pilot as I wasn't satisfied with it how it looked. I added blow down mufflers and a air compressor. I decided to install it on the smoke box door for a different look. I removed several cast on details with a Dremel and files.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 14 2019 :  01:30:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

A model that has had major work done! It started life as a Mantua 2-6-6-2T. It's now a 2-6-6-0. It has a highly modified Tyco 2-8-0 boiler now. It still has a long ways to go and more fabrication. I have to shorten the rear frame and slide the motor forward. Then steam pipes to the front cylinder.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 14 2019 :  01:35:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

A almost unrecognizable model! It's a Mantua 2-8-2. It has Mantua 2-8-4 running gear. Looks a lot better in my opinion. Nearly every cast on detail has been removed one way or another. It'll be getting a cab from a Rivarossi 4-6-2 in the future and a big pile of new details installed.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 14 2019 :  11:53:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
These are some pretty major undertakings, but they look like fun. The D&RB will be an interesting railroad.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 14 2019 :  8:05:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
This is classic kitbashing at its best, keep up the good work!
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 14 2019 :  11:19:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
This is classic kitbashing at its best, keep up the good work!
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 19 2019 :  10:26:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

Bowser 4-6-6-4 Kitbash in progress. Added Cary dual front mounted air compressors and a Cal Scale Elesco feed water heater. Have to buy some wire and plumb it. I found a trailing truck and installed it today as well.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 19 2019 :  11:52:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What size and type of wire do you recommend for HO
hand rails? What is the best way to bend it?

I'd like to add some railing to the predrilled holes
in that F shell WKS sent my way.

BTW, are you going to interchange with the
narrow gauge you posted last week?

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 20 2019 :  01:28:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I use steek .016" wire from K&S. Takes a little effort to bend but it's more forgiving to handling and such. I do like brass but it's very easy to bend but can't take the same abuse. I thought about a fictional narrow gauge line. I own a 2-6-0 that doesn't follow a particular prototype and a couple Shay's as well.

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - October 20 2019 :  3:13:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Your kit bashes are exactly like what the Great Northern would of done. They were always reusing parts of
old locomotives on new ones . The small driver 2 6 6 2 your building were later rebuilt into the a class of
2 8 2's. And some one early 0 6 0 and 2 8 0 was rebuilt into the first 2 6 8 0 prototype. Also they did have a
Challenger type 4 6 6 4 from the Northern Pacific that was apart of a group of engines
assigned to the Spokane Portland And Pacific which was jointly owned.

Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - January 18 2020 :  12:46:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

Challenger Redo. My last one took a nasty fall and I about cried! Never sit them to high, forget it's there and take off down the road. Ouch! I bought 2 off eBay before Christmas and started right away on its new identity. It came with a long haul Pennsylvania Railroad tender from the I1s class 2-10-0. I mocked up a new coal bin wall to give it a very different look. Now to build the bin! I'm gonna build 2 possibly and make them different. The other one will receive a centipede tender. Hadn't decided what details I'll add.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - January 29 2020 :  11:58:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Transformeration of a MDC 0-6-0. Bought it a while back because I liked how the tender looked. It was done by the previous owner. I stripped the paint on the shell before I started. It was a awful glossy black paint job. Here is it before I start work and after it was stripped:

Here it is with no tender and some details. It has a bell bracket installed, a roof hatch and a non lifting injector installed. All parts are by Cal Scale. I have more to install. Air tanks, cooling coil, brake shoes, leaf springs, etc. I have all the parts now just about. Couple more I forgot to order. I didn't intend to go this far until I really studied the model and found it's very plain and lot of daylight between the boiler and frame!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 30 2020 :  2:12:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This will be amazing. Looks like a blank canvas now...

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 08 2020 :  7:13:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

Having fun with a Athearn caboose. I added several details to the model as I always felt it was too plain. The car is a blank canvas at the moment. The coupler cut levers were very finicky to install. All the wire details came from Detail Associates and the air hoses are from Cal Scale. It'll eventually get painted and lettered for my fictional road. I will also install lit lanterns to model and window glazing. Anyone remember the lit lanterns from Utah Pacific?

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 09 2020 :  10:27:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looking all good
& Rock Bottom is my fave SpongeBob episode
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 26 2020 :  7:18:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

Started detailing the 0-6-0 again. Gotta order some drill bits to finish the job. At least I have all the details parts haha. Joys of working with metal and tiny drill bits.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 15 2020 :  5:13:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Oh, how I miss this thread!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - May 19 2020 :  02:42:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

The MDC 0-6-0 is nearly done! Just need to add some details to the tender and off to paint it goes.

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 19 2020 :  08:52:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Unpainted grey and brass on the 0-6-0 look pretty neat together.
Also bring to mind a French narrow gauge railway which had some steam locos in light grey paint and polished brass.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 19 2020 :  09:04:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Wow, That's really shaping up! Aside from some crooked handrails (It happens to all of us) It looks sweet! Can't wait to see it painted!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 19 2020 :  1:24:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
She coming to life!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 19 2020 :  8:22:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
She coming to life!

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 19 2020 :  1:24:14 PM

Welcome back!

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - May 24 2020 :  9:50:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Thanks for all the kind words. I ordered just about all the detail parts for the Challenger. The 0-6-0 will get steel wire handrails as they don't bend or get flimsy. I plan adding a false floor to the tender frame and add brake rigging. Got a nice detail kit from PSC. Hope to order a copper and nickel plating kit soon so I can properly repair the piston rods on the 4-4-0 Varney Kitbash and re-glue the boiler halves. I'll never use JB Kwik Weld again! My plan this year is to start detailing the models into completion and have them ready for paint.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - May 24 2020 :  9:55:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

The third brass model on the roster. My plan is to replace and relocate the bell. I'll also relocate the air compressors as I never liked the location of them. I'll mount them on the pilot similar to a UP Big Boy/Challenger.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 25 2020 :  08:44:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks for all the kind words. I ordered just about all the detail parts for the Challenger. The 0-6-0 will get steel wire handrails as they don't bend or get flimsy. I plan adding a false floor to the tender frame and add brake rigging. Got a nice detail kit from PSC. Hope to order a copper and nickel plating kit soon so I can properly repair the piston rods on the 4-4-0 Varney Kitbash and re-glue the boiler halves. I'll never use JB Kwik Weld again! My plan this year is to start detailing the models into completion and have them ready for paint.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - May 24 2020 :  9:50:10 PM

Great! I'm itching to see them complete. There's so many unfinished ones!

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - June 08 2020 :  12:12:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

Relocated the back up light on the tender and added a head light bracket. I also added the missing water hatch on the tender. I built the area up with putty.

I added a false floor and a PSC brake detail kit. I had to move some components around to clear the trucks.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 08 2020 :  07:36:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The shops are busy!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 08 2020 :  08:56:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I'm loving it - badabababa!

I really want to build my own loco from a kit someday. No Tyco or Mantua, I'mset on an MDC kit. Like the 0-6-0 or 2-8-0. Too bad they're so darned expensive!

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - June 14 2020 :  6:33:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

The Challenger begins. I stripped the paint off the boiler and pilot. I went ahead and installed a muffler and a power reverse prior to the photo with all of the detail parts for the engine. I need to order 2 more detail parts from PSC and it'll all here. This is just for the engine! I plan on installing lubricators on the boggies per the prototype as well.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 14 2020 :  8:41:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Awesome! This is what I love to see. Any update on the 0-6-0's paint job?

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - June 14 2020 :  9:38:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
No paint yet. I'll eventually get to it. Plan on airbrushing it.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 14 2020 :  10:01:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Wow! That's a boat load of detail parts on that Challenger. How are you attaching them?
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 14 2020 :  10:05:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Whoa. Looks like it's gonna be awesome.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - June 15 2020 :  07:10:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
quote:
Wow! That's a boat load of detail parts on that Challenger. How are you attaching them?

Originally posted by scsshaggy - June 14 2020 :  10:01:43 PM

Super glue.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - June 15 2020 :  07:12:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

Some progress. Added sand filler hatches to to sand domes, a new cab roof hatch on the cab, a muffler and a power reverse.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 15 2020 :  10:25:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
No paint yet. I'll eventually get to it. Plan on airbrushing it.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - June 14 2020 :  9:38:06 PM

Alright. Black and graphite I assume?

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - June 29 2020 :  12:30:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist

Made headway on the tender for the Challenger. It's a Penn Line/Bowser Pennsylvania Railroad long haul tender. I removed the coal bin walls and scratch built a new oil bunker. Wanted a oil burner mallet. I then went over the sides, etc with putty and filed and sanded it smooth. The bunker is just styrene.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Ephrata Valley Project Topic Next Topic: HO Swingmaster  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000