Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 US-1 Army Extra
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: US-1 Trucking - chassis differences Topic Next Topic: Exhausting Possibilities  

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - June 29 2018 :  8:10:59 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Below are pictures of some very rare vehicles from the Army Logistics Corp US-1 set, in fact, the box trailer and gravel truck are the only two examples known to exist……

OK, none of that is true………. Four words sum it all up: - Tamiya Olive Drab Paint

This was Doug's idea and it all began when he said "I see you have an unnecessary number of green tippers. Why don't you turn one into the hard to find army tipper? Tamiya Olive Drab is perfect colour match" He is not kidding! It is excellent!

I have a very skilled chum who is very good at spray painting, wheras I am rubbish! The bits were passed to him and in quick order he returned:

An excellent looking Army Tipper

Next out of the production line was an Army box trailer (formerly a scruffy PIE version).

The Gravel trailer is of course one of the common yellow versions underneath! (using the Gray one would be a crime). This needed completely stripping down before spraying to ensure it didn't seize up! Doug suggested doing this one too. I think he was trying to stop me trashing a tanker!

Finally my second Army Peterbilt tractor was originally one of the common orange and yellow ones. Like the one it is next to.

So what next? An Army may march on it's stomach, but a mechanised army needs fuel, so how about a tanker? Doug thought I needed psychiatric help when I suggested painting a US-1 tanker, which are famous for both their rarity and sometmes ridiculous cost! Luckily I had a rather scuffed Dupont version, which is about to undergo the treatment. My efforts to replace it with a better one via E-bay have so far been seriously outbid!

Adding some decals to these models comes next…..

Doug, thanks for an excellent idea!

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 29 2018 :  9:31:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
THESE ARE AWESOME! I definitely love that army Dump Truck - me wants!

Good luck on the "painting the tanker slot trailer project." By the way, I also am seeking more slot trailers, specifically tankers, and yes, they are indeed expensive.....

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 29 2018 :  11:02:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well US-1 did have G.I. Joe vs Cobra set too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHwMqT61KTU

& it'd look good with the train set too hehe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5Z9RTu3ZA
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - June 30 2018 :  06:10:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Guys,

Thanks for the support and kind comments.

I would reccomend spraying up tatty common and unwanted tippers and Peterbilt tractors, as the common ones are everywhere.

Thanks for posting those videos. They are both so good.

I think the problem with tankers and the 'sexier' box trailers is that they never made it into sets, unklike green tippers, gravel trailers, orange and yellow tractors and red flat bed trailers that seem to be everywhere.

This side of the pond it is mainly just common items available and fewer people seem to want them, which is partly good for us. However, if we want the rarer items we have to look on US E-bay where the competition is strong and then there are the high postal charges to Europe and quite often Customs charges too.

So for example there is a currently a mint Dupont Tanker on a Buy it now for $90 USD (just shy of £70 GBP), but that dealer's postal charges are high, so to get that here we are looking at around $200 or£150 GBP all in, (with Cutoms charges).

Annoyingly, two great tanker trailers including a Dupont were both lost by me on e-bay this week at around $55 each. The postal charges on those were much better too!

Note to self: Must bid higher to save money!

James

Edited by - Highwayman97 on June 30 2018 06:12:54 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - July 02 2018 :  05:20:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
To liiustrate my point, please take a look at this lovely stash of treasures that the very kind vendor dropped off with me this morning on his way to work.

This is typical of what turns up here in the UK, although the orange tipper and red tractor are less so

What amazed Doug and I was the amount of straights, as usually there are hardly any! We are sharing this by the way...

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 02 2018 :  10:37:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh I sees $$$$$ in that! *drooools!*

do you gotta modify the transformers since they were 120v to 220v?
or just replace it?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - July 02 2018 :  11:02:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Hello Microbuss,

Sets with 220v supplies were sold in the UK and seemingly elsewhere in Europe too. The UK distributor mentioned in the instructions was Palitoy, of Action Man (GI Joe) and Mainline Railways fame.

However, as I mentioned in the thread 'Control' in the Slot car section, I never use the supplied transformers or controllers.

That lot wasn't that expensive by the way, costing us less is GBP that your mains supply is in volts. There is not much demand here for it, other than the rare items!

I picked up two very nice sets late last year for a similar price, as the vendor wouldn't post them and I was able top drive by, (not in the Al Capone sense!).

James

Edited by - Highwayman97 on July 02 2018 11:03:24 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 02 2018 :  6:25:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I've got like a half dozen of the USA 1 Turnouts, some signage for
same, and four curves up for trade on the Trading Post. Not really
interested in money, but a trade. Will consider a cash offer if that
all you got. All look in decent shape, except the signs, which have
some broken bases.

Nice work on the custom paint. Looks quite convincing in a Tyco
sort of way.

Edited by - Chops124 on July 02 2018 6:26:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: US-1 Trucking - chassis differences Topic Next Topic: Exhausting Possibilities  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000