Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 HO Scale Slot Cars
 The Slot
 Playcraft Highways
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco slot Car 9 inch curves FREE I have 40+ Topic Next Topic: TYCO cars from 1979 catalog  

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - June 21 2018 :  12:45:09 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
This system will be 60 years old late next year. It was designed by Derek Brand, who later took the design to Aurora, where it became Model Motoring.

It was made in England by Playcraft and was frankly not commercially successful, although the news that it was being developed led Lines Brothers to develop Minic Motorways.

The cars, or which there were only ever four, had the Vibrator motor that went to Aurora, although my vehicles all run sweetly with Tjets chassis that a clever chum squeezed in, as they are smaller than later Aurora vehicles.

The track is fully compatible with Model Motoring track, but is grayer and the contacts are not steel. It also doesn't fit together as well as MM, and quite a lot of effort was needed to clean it, tweak the contacts and get the pins to slide in without too much fighting!

This is going to be the elevated section of my layout, to replace the Tyco US-1 bit that can seen supported on Life-Like peirs in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY5DMEQWBII

I am now using a mixture of Aurora and original Playcraft roadway supports, although annoyingly the maximum height the Playcraft system could support was far too low to get a train below! (the system was first sold as a roadway to be used with trains!) Some mixing of parts and tinkering produced an adequate height in the end!

Playcraft originally came with flexible rubber guard rails, but I will probably use Aurora or Life-Like. Sadly the track is too narrow for me to run any US-1!

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 21 2018 :  5:58:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great Scott, I never new Playcraft to have made such a thing.
I've developed a soft spot for Playcraft, and Jeouf, so seeing
this is a bit of a jolt. Tell me, would you characterize the
Playcraft as a roadway system or a racing system?

Nice vid, by the way.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 21 2018 :  6:53:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Interesting information....and I agree, that video was stupendous!!!

I have never seen the Tyco US1 Mack MR ladder slot fire-truck in action before, until now. So Cool!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 21 2018 :  7:31:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Oh, oh...now that I know the Shark Master is a fire buff,
I think I see a slippery slope event coming at us...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - June 22 2018 :  05:40:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Thanks Guys,

Really appreciate the comments.

Like all the early HO slots Playcraft was seen as a roadway system to go with trains. This one was short lived so never got as far as being a racing system, as Aurora and most of the others did. Whilst the Jaguar and Mercedes are racy the Impala and that truck are clearly not!

https://www.hoslotcarracing.com/History.html

The 9" straight that Brand chose as the length of his main roadway piece is the same as an Atlas Snap Track rail. Possibly when he was developing it, he had Revell in mind as the customer, as they were doing HO trains at that time, and these came with Atlas track. Brand has sold many other products to Revell

However as we know, the wonderful Revell system was deleted and Brand had to take the product to England to get it made.

http://www.daveshobby.net/derek-brand-tribute.html

If you think about it, nearly all HO slot car systems follow the basic roadway geometry that Brand devised for Playcraft - Tyco does and so do many others right up to Life Like and and Micro Sacexletric. In fact that geometry was vital to me being able to combine Life-Like Railroad track (that mimics Atlas geometry) with Tyco US-1 (that follows Brand's) on my combined layout

In the video the lower deck roadway is all Aurora, and as I expect you noticed the cars are on the US/European side of the road, (which is wrong for England) as I could not bear to scrub out the stop line on the intersection! Playcraft never made intersections or grade crossings!

They also didn't introduce the imported (from Jouef, France) train system until around the time that Highways was discontinued, and the Pola buildings that Playcraft sold came even later, so my combined layout is very much my creation and not repasentative of what you could do at the time!

James

Edited by - Highwayman97 on June 22 2018 08:18:02 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 22 2018 :  11:25:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Wow, some interesting Model Motoring history, didn't know about the connection between Playcraft and Aurora. That's pretty cool. Hey, James. Could you take some close-ups of that Impala? you said it was? The red and yellow car? is that a 1958 Impala? Love to get some better views of it. Thanks!

Jerry
USA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - June 23 2018 :  5:39:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Jerry,

Your wish is my command: 1958? I guess so, but my knowledge of Chevrolet is limited....

Both of them have had the mechanically awful vibrator chassis replaced by adapted TJet chassis. The white one came my way courtesy of the then Train Collectors Society Journal Editor Jeff Carpenter, and was frankly a complete wreck, in pieces, with bits missing, so don't take the different rear bumper on this too seriously... It was fabricated by my engineering Guru Martin, who also built those 1/24 scale Rail and Road Grade crossings I have mentioned elsewhere for me....

Without him a lot of my stuff would still be a dream or a project.....

James

Edited by - Highwayman97 on June 23 2018 5:53:10 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 24 2018 :  7:28:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Thanks for posting those, James. They're 58 Bel Air versions, the Impala had 3 tail lights on each side, the Bel Air only 2 I believe. As did the Biscayne. Pretty rare to see a 58 Chevy slot car of any kind. Pretty cool.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 25 2018 :  01:50:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ah, so the vibrator chassis not so hot?

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - June 25 2018 :  11:25:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Guys,

Thank you.

Chops, to answer your question the trouble it that it does get very hot! It is also very noisy. I have run them and they ran, but needed a lot of nuturing and love to get there. Although they were sold as AC, most DC supplies have a ripple that will make then work. I have run them on both.

I know some folk love it, but I really don't! I like cars to run smoothly and easily, so TJets all round for me please.

New ones can still be had on the Intereb for reasonable money, so that is what I would do with any dodgy HO scale car chassis.....

James

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - April 03 2019 :  03:57:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
A while ago, I created the thread above, as I was then preparing to celebrate to 60th Anniversary of the introduction of Playcraft Highways (and the origin of all HO slot car systems). Coincidentally this is also the 50th anniversary of the end of the Playcraft Railways system that was launched two years after Highways.

In late March a chum and I took this combined Playcraft Highways and Railways layout to the Train Collectors Society Spring Meeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5FTEkrqRIQ

We are planning to take a similar layout to the (British) National Festival of Toy Trains at Alresford, Hampshire in June.

Here is a link to the Train Collectors Society Web Site that gives more information on both ranges:

https://traincollectors.co.uk/playcrafts-2019-double-anniversary/

James

Previous Topic: Tyco slot Car 9 inch curves FREE I have 40+ Topic Next Topic: TYCO cars from 1979 catalog  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000