Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 HO Scale Slot Cars
 The Slot
 What is an Aurora Vibrator?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Old Kenny Topic Next Topic: Some of Jerry''s slot cars  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 19 2018 :  11:13:55 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I see various references to this make and model, but don't quite
get its function. Does Aurora hold up well over the decades, or
not so well? My one venture into slots seemed to be some cheap
knock off and the cars quickly stopped working reliably and
no amount of rail cleaning improved their function.

Is there any such thing as a slower running slot car, or are they
all whiz-bangs? The tires on some of the vintage, more Plain
Jane type of cars appear thinner- will they run a little slower,
at least?

Edited by - Chops124 on April 19 2018 11:38:54 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 19 2018 :  11:58:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Chops, have you seen this page:

http://webpages.charter.net/stessendorf/slot%20page/ho/aurora/vibrator/aurora%20vibrator%20cars.html

According to the info in the above link they were originally designed as accessories to model trains rather than race cars. You've made me curious as well about how fast/slow these cars run. Tyco US1 Trucking is probably the closest thing to slow running slotcars. A few years back when I was dabbling in slotcars on my layout I found the older cars to be much more fun to operate. The new ones all came with magnets and high speed motors while the old ones were slower and actually had some drift in the corners! My favourite is the TycoPro II chassis.

Edited by - DaCheez on April 19 2018 11:59:21 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - April 19 2018 :  11:40:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Another slow qaulity car is the Thunder Jet. Sometimes a motor will need magnets and brushes. Hobby lobby even sells them! I like AFX track. Not cheap but the best of the best.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 20 2018 :  12:19:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks, Justin, appreciate the tip. Are you
OTR? If so, where you at?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Thunderjet500
Switcher

Posted - April 28 2018 :  11:11:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Thunderjet500 to Buddylist
Chops, Justin is correct, can't beat an old Aurora Tjet for what you describe you're looking for.
Made 1968 - 1972 or thereabouts. Most often all they require is cleaned up, oiled, new rear tires,
and they run like new again.
I would advise avoid the early 1960's vibrator cars as they were a finicky buzzer design with no actual motor
and sought after today for their collector value rather than actual use for the most part.
Dan

Edited by - Thunderjet500 on April 28 2018 11:13:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: April 28 2018  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - April 28 2018 :  11:18:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
The guy who designed the Vibrator motor, first made it for Playcraft in the UK. Playcraft Highways was launched in 1959 there, but was not successful. Aurora liked it and picked up the idea. The original Playcraft track and cars are interchangeable with Aurora. In fact the standards he developed for HO slot cars became universal and are still used today.

The geometry of the roadway track section was derived from Atlas HO Railroad Snap Track. He made the standard roadway straight the same 9" length as he anticipated his roadway system as being an add on to model railroads.

The 9" radius curves and straights based on the 9" length are still common in many HO slot car systems. It also enables great combination layouts to be made with model railroad systems that copy Atlas Snap Track geometry: For example Life Life Power Loc

He later went on the design the Thunderjet Chassis and much later Tyco US-1

His name was Derek Brand. Here is a tribue to him from a fan: http://www.daveshobby.net/derek-brand-tribute.html

James

Edited by - Highwayman97 on April 28 2018 11:23:33 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 29 2018 :  12:35:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Remarkable background. Thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - April 29 2018 :  09:33:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Chops,

My final thoughts on all this for now:

All the early HO Slot car brands were envisaged as roadway systems. Playcraft, Aurora, Minic Motorways and Faller.

Playcraft failed quite quickly, but news of the development of Playcraft Highways led Tri-ang to develop Minic, which tried really hard to be a roadway, until the last few years when it did just racing the same as everyone else.

In fact the release of the Aurora T-Jet chassis panicked Minic to bring out the plastic Jet Speed chassis as their earlier Gimbal pick up stamped metal chassis, (copied from the original Scalextric concept) were seriously slow!

Aurora soon gave up being a roadway, but Faller tried really hard and didn't fully give up roadway aspirations until just before it went out of production.

Tyco US-1 was only ever a roadway AND it was the last slot car roadway system to be introduced, sadly it only lasted 6 years, which I guess sums up why slot car roadways are generally not commercially successful.

James

Edited by - Highwayman97 on April 29 2018 09:43:41 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 30 2018 :  02:36:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Again, most interesting insight, and very useful. Thank you!

Thunderjet500
Switcher

Posted - April 30 2018 :  7:30:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Thunderjet500 to Buddylist
Chops, if you want to go slow and stay loyal to the brand then Tyco Speedways ( Tyco-S ) could be for you.
1960's worm drive is low gearing such that they rarely crash. Some have the most detailed beautiful HO
bodies ever made while some issues are plain jane. A few cars even had a double guide pin which steers
the front wheels thru a turn. As with any old used toys there are good ones and tired ones which require
repairs. Problem there is that the parts can be difficult to find.
Dan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: April 28 2018  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 30 2018 :  10:21:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Don, thanks for the tip! That's exactly what I want to accomplish.
I never heard of Tyco S. I'll be on the look out for it! And welcome
to the Forum, it's a great place to chillax and discuss vintage
trains and slots. I hope you will post some of your stuff here.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 30 2018 10:22:37 PM

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - May 01 2018 :  07:19:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Try: http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycoslotcars/

http://www.modelmotorist.com/web-content/idchass.jsp#tyco

and: http://www.modelmotorist.com/web-content/idtrk.jsp#tyco

The earliest Tyco Track was called Tyco Pro but was later replaced by Quick Clik. US-1 uses Quick Clik, but molded in gray instead of the usual black and with the special junctions and docks.

James

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 01 2018 :  11:03:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The links are great, I didn't know the depth and breadth of
model motoring. It will give me some to read for a while!

Thunderjet500
Switcher

Posted - May 05 2018 :  12:08:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Thunderjet500 to Buddylist

Chops, The above upload went flawless but having trouble with "server timed out" message
when trying for another upload.
Dan

Edited by - Thunderjet500 on May 05 2018 12:26:56 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 06 2018 :  06:29:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, these are really nifty. Don't see them up on eBay, tho. Will
keep an eye out.

The "server timed out" is a troublesome bug with this Forum.
It goes down from time to time, but magically reappears
after midnight.

Thunderjet500
Switcher

Posted - May 13 2018 :  3:19:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Thunderjet500 to Buddylist
Tyco Speedways Cheetah video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU8ux8BzdKo

Jaguar D's....

Edited by - Thunderjet500 on May 13 2018 3:27:24 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 14 2018 :  01:41:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That looks awfully fun. And the speed is such that one can actually
see it!
  Previous Topic: New Old Kenny Topic Next Topic: Some of Jerry''s slot cars  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000