Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 A use for US-1 Controller Track Sections
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Unusual US-1 Junctions Topic Next Topic: Coal Ramp  

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - March 20 2018 :  10:40:55 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Today I was planning my next layout for May when I realised that I am short of good quality standard 9" straights....

I looked on e-bay but there were only two available and the postage accross the pond does make them rather expensive.

Then I thought about my stash of unused items, which included half a dozen very nice controller rails. Most have the controller attached, although one has the 'attached by wires' type.

I tried a quick experiment - removed the top by undoing the screws, used some tin snips to cut the connecting bars to the rails and then then a few quick strokes with a saw and the remains of the controller part was off.

After a few strokes with a file to clean up the cut I had a very nice complete 9" straight which is much needed and very useful. It differs only from a normal one in that it has a few openings on one side.

I still have five more controller rails, plus another three in my boxed sets, which will be left well alone.

What do others think? Is this sort of thing acceptable.

From my point of view I have turned something that I have never used and would never use (i don't use US-1 controllers at all) into something I need.....

James

Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator 

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - March 21 2018 :  08:22:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Here are a few images showing what I did:

The built on controller from above

and from below

With the top removed showing the workings

Removing the metal straps from the underside of the roadway

Removing the metal straps from the control gear to get then clear of the saw!

Cutting the control gear portion off the roadway

When the cut is complete.

Two sections of roadway made from control sections. The side with the openings is that from the old control box side.

I now have five very good and useful 9" plain roadway sections for the next layout and not had to spend a single cent/penny!

Edited by - Highwayman97 on March 21 2018 08:28:42 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 21 2018 :  11:19:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Seems like a good re-purpose to me, considering that they're not in demand, and you're not really destroying the piece, just some un-assembly from factory spec. :) And you might could resell the controller sections as stand-alone units to a slot car guy anyway. I'd say you are doing a good thing, finding a use for something you have that wasn't being used, and not being destructive about it, either.

Jerry in the good ol' USA, makin' it great again.

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Unusual US-1 Junctions Topic Next Topic: Coal Ramp  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000