Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 athearn 1953 RDC budd
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: SP by Crusty Topic Next Topic: Athearn tinplate boxcar  

kennyrach
Switcher

Posted - February 15 2018 :  08:59:44 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kennyrach to Buddylist
Here my 1953 Athearn RDC-1
It all metal body and power truck motor
It was rust up when got and taken half day
cleaning ant buffing out

First this was new old stock with lot surface rust
on it so i but in ultrasonic bath with vinegar then
use a Dremel and buffing wheel to remove blave color from metal

Country: Armenia  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: February 11 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 28 2021 Alert Moderator 

kennyrach
Switcher

Posted - February 15 2018 :  09:01:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kennyrach to Buddylist
More pic here
 Country: Armenia  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: February 11 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 28 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kennyrach
Switcher

Posted - February 15 2018 :  09:05:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kennyrach to Buddylist
 Country: Armenia  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: February 11 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 28 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 15 2018 :  1:34:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice restoration work, Kenny!!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - February 16 2018 :  11:35:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
She may not be as detailed as the $$$$$$ new Rapdio model, but she sure does shine.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 16 2018 :  4:13:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I have a tray of 7 of the RDC's. I have 4 different body styles, all came powered. 5 were sold by Athearn. the fifth is an unpowered coach.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on March 29 2018 06:27:39 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kennyrach
Switcher

Posted - February 17 2018 :  4:23:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kennyrach to Buddylist
toptrain

Very nice lots you have there i been looking for other one over the year
with no luck

kennyrach
Switcher

Posted - February 17 2018 :  4:28:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kennyrach to Buddylist
toptrain

Are these rubber band [Hi-F Drive] drive unit or motor truck like one i post

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 18 2018 :  1:54:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Remarkable work, Kenny. Made a pile of antique scrap into a restored
beauty. Question, what is the nature of those holes drilled at different
aspects of the shell? I see similar ones on Frank's, but others look
like they got filled in. Also, I never knew this came with a truck
mounted motor.

I picked this one up a while back, ran the dickens out of it, eventually
toasting the motor. What I thought to be an easy fix was to simply
glue in another motor, and it worked great until I replaced the shell
and found the motor micrometers too tall and binding with the shell!
Back to the drawing board.
https://youtu.be/kuoM2F5b06k
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 18 2018 :  3:30:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Question, what is the nature of those holes drilled at different
aspects of the shell?
Originally posted by Chops124 - February 18 2018 :  1:54:49 PM

If you look at a full-size RDC, there's something attached to the car at the location of each of those holes, be it a placard or vent or whatever. Presumably, the model came with those parts, originally and those are mounting holes.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kennyrach
Switcher

Posted - February 19 2018 :  09:41:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kennyrach to Buddylist
Chops124

Thank for kind word
Like scsshaggy said there
something attached to the car at the location of each of those hole

Nature of those holes drilled at different
aspects of the shell for data plate
and ventilator vent.
And top middel is radiator
Yes the frist run RdC in 3/1953 have has pittman
motor power truck
and all metal boby and frame no plastic part
only for window strip

here photo of the assemby instructions sheet

kennyrach
Switcher

Posted - February 19 2018 :  09:43:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kennyrach to Buddylist
Funny picrture came up sideway here there are right on my comuter but not here

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 20 2018 :  07:46:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* If anyone wants a project the whole tray is available. PM me if interested.
toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - March 30 2018 :  3:42:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
Great work Kenny!

I have a question. Does anyone know if the powered "blue box" Athearn RDC bases will fit into the 1953 bodies?

I recently purchased two 1953 Athearn PRSL RDC dummy units and would like to find a powered unit to use to motorize one of the dummies.

Any difference in the quality of the 1953 vs blue box motors?

I never had one of these before, but they used to run through my town.

Thanks, Mark
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: SP by Crusty Topic Next Topic: Athearn tinplate boxcar  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000