Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Acrylics . . .
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Heartbeat of America balloon Topic Next Topic: A Station for the El  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 28 2018 :  3:38:21 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist

Got these little people recently and it was a fair selection for a few bucks. Thought this time that I would try some inexpensive acrylic paint. One guy I knew of painted miniatures (like Dungeons and Dragons things) with acrylics thinned "just right" and would turn out some pretty fine things. I am a good ways from that. The first guy I did with the acrylics is this guy shoveling. If you look at the shirt under magnification, you can see the paint is all "glumped" on. So, some things to refine here. Anyway, for your Sunday morning viewing pleasure . . . and, of course, whatever hints you might feel inclined to toss my way.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 28 2018 :  3:49:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice work on painting the figures -- they are starting to look even-more realistic!!! Much more patience than I would've had......
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 28 2018 :  5:55:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Nice work on painting the figures -- they are starting to look even-more realistic!!! Much more patience than I would've had......

Originally posted by RP model railroads - January 28 2018 :  3:49:33 PM

same here!
Can't paint anyway & I wasn't good in art class
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 28 2018 :  7:57:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Acrylic model paints tend to be self smoothing and would probably not have that clumpy finish. Of course, they're also more expensive than craft paints, especially if you want a good selection of colors.

The way they smooth themselves is that the surface sets up first and then shrinks a little, pulling tight and flattening things like brush marks. I wonder if craft paints don't do that, or if they're just a bit thicker, so the paint is too gooey to flatten out as the surface film shrinks. If that's so, the guy you mention who thins them just right has the key to the problem, though I'm not so sure how easy it is to thin the paints just right.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 28 2018 :  11:58:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

For this, I used my 14 year old daughter who has the steady hand and patience used
by 14 year old girls everywhere to apply eye liner.

Very nice work, BTW. I have an additional box of people requiring painting...where is
that kid??

Edited by - Chops124 on January 28 2018 11:59:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 29 2018 :  11:42:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I believe I mistakenly called these acrylics. They are craft paints. What is the difference?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 29 2018 :  3:19:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Acrylic is the chemical vehicle, like latex or enamel. It's what the paint is.

Craft paint names a purpose (arts and crafts).

The paints in the pictures say Acrylic on the bottle, so I think that chemically, they're acrylic paint. The purpose might mean they're formulated a little differently than model paints. Model paints, since they're supposed to completely cover something small without burying it in a blob of paint, usually have the pigments ground finer than in paints meant for big things like houses. They're probably also formulated to go on in a thinner coat.

I'm not familiar enough with craft paints to know how they usually apply in terms of thickness and opacity. It seems, though, that if you've read about someone who got good results with just the right thinning, craft paints might be pretty close to model paint.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 29 2018 :  3:47:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Those little containers of paint from Walmart is what I use on most stuff on the layout...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 02 2018 :  2:42:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Yeh, Walt, I got mine at Hobby Lobby, probably not much more expensive. I still haven't gotten the technique for getting the paints thinned just right, and maybe, like Don suggested, there is a difference in character between "craft" [acrylic] and other acrylics? Anyway, so far my technique for getting after these little people is:
1. Remove "flash"; maybe even some reshaping if it seems necessary and doable.
Like maybe one leg is too fat, or move the arm from waving to be at side.
2. Wash figures in alcohol (not sure whether this really helps or not; almost seems
that plastics sometimes shed oils?)
3. Glue figure to something to hold it by while you paint; white glue.
4. Use a tiny brush.
5. Try not to leave any thick places of paint.
6. LEARN HOW TO THIN AND APPLY PAINT.
7. It's all an experiment, right?

Here's my latest effort . . .

Edited by - Barry on February 02 2018 2:54:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - February 02 2018 :  2:59:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Looking good Barry. From what I can get on it, the "Craft" acrylics have a much coarser pigment than do
the "Model" acrylics.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 02 2018 :  9:31:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I especially like that guy with the gauntlet gloves.
Carpe Manana!
  Previous Topic: Heartbeat of America balloon Topic Next Topic: A Station for the El  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000