Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Unveiling "TEENS for TRAINS Organization"!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Menard''s Trains! Topic Next Topic: Traction HO  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 31 2017 :  10:17:05 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good evening everyone,

There has been a yearning on my mind for quite some time now, to take my hobby to higher heights. Higher Heights, meaning taking my passion of model railroading and sharing it further with the world, while encouraging fellow young people who are interested in trains, but are not being recognized.

So, I have proceeded to found an organization called "TEENS for TRAINS - A New generation for an Old tradition." Its purpose - to be a virtual organization dedicated to enciting a new generation to the old tradition of model railroading. By employing technology, TEENS for TRAINS intends to revitalize the time-tested tradition of toy trains, by highlighting the layouts, locomotives, and creativity of the hobby's youngest participants.

I have created a website for the organization, which can be found at the following URL: https://rputnick777.wixsite.com/teensfortrains

In addition, I have created a Vimeo account for the organization, to host the videos submitted by young model railroaders, and an email account to receive all submissions.

I already have designed a Photo Gallery, Videos page, and Blog to be included in the organization, and have plans to branch out on Social Media (Facebook and Google+), if TEENS for TRAINS is successful at the general level, meaning on the website alone. Furthermore, I have plans to institute a "Digital Model Railroad Photography Contest", as well as a logo for the organization, in the future. I truly believe that there are plenty of fellow young individuals who either enjoy model railroading, have their own layouts, like railfanning, etc, and my organization will strive to assemble these "trainiacs" from around the world, into one virtual organization.

I wanted to inform you all, not only because I am excited!! - But, because I was hoping that if any of you have children, grandchildren, other relatives, or friends of yours in their youth who like trains, that you would pass the information along about TEENS for TRAINS. :) I do believe whole heartedly that such a virtual organization can and will be successful.

Plus, if any of you have created age-group applicable videos of how to do the "basics", as in building/maintaining both a layout and locomotives, (i.e. oiling a locomotive, or cleaning track) that you would like to submit to the TEENS for TRAINS Organization's "Tips and Tricks" page, please send them to: teensfortrains@gmail.com. Don't worry, I also plan to create such videos in the near future, for T.F.T.

Please do inform me of your thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,

-RP

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - November 01 2017 :  10:20:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Why a Vimeo, and not a more accessible (to teens) Youtube account? I mean, I know of Vimeo but I think most teens have no idea it exists.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 01 2017 :  12:23:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A very professional looking Website. Years ago, before the internet was even dreamed of,
I often imagined doing a paper publication featuring the model railroading efforts of the
average fellow, such as myself. Model Railroader was what everyone dreamed of trying
to get some small photo in, but that was a moonshot.

My favorite section of MR was "Student Fare," which they seem to have dropped years ago.
In those few paragraphs, I was able to see what the average guy was up to. The glossies
and rivet counting were indeed something to aspire to, but not so easily achieved at age 11.

About three years ago I stumbled over the Tyco Forum, and was amazed and delighted to
have found a site dedicated to the Average Joe, and based on vintage Tyco/Mantua, which
many of my friends consider to be curiousities at best, rubbish at worst.

Best of luck on your endeavor. Here are a few photos from the 1960's and "70's
as the El Paso Model Train Club tried to fold in young members:
(Note the rotary phone on the desk).

Edited by - Chops124 on November 01 2017 1:43:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 01 2017 :  3:07:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you Chops! I appreciate your comments, and pictures illustrating your train club's efforts to reach out to young people. Yes, I agree, the "average Joe" model railroader is often overlooked.....while only the most advanced layouts are the ones often portrayed in publications. If T.F.T. doesn't work so swell...I might consider revising it to: A.J.F.T. - Average Joe for Trains

Pokemonprime, I appreciate the suggestion and actually, I had originally thought of creating a Youtube account for Teens for Trains, but steered away from it due to often times having inappropriate videos/comments visible when trying to view a video. Also, I believe YouTube allows "pop-up" ads, which are annoying, as apposed to Vimeo, whose free account doesn't sponsor random ads.

In addition, the Vimeo account is basically the "hub" for all videos submitted....because all videos will be accessible on the website anyway. The account is just to store them all in one place.

What does everyone else think?

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 01 2017 :  4:22:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I think if you target toward a specific age group, forethought needs to be given to what happens when the teens age into adulthood. Not trying to be a wet blanket. I admire what you're trying to do. It's just that when it's time for the old heads to duck out, there'll be less upheaval if everyone knew what to expect and when.

Maybe that'll be the time for the average Joe group to form.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 01 2017 :  6:08:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yes, that is a good thought, scsshaggy, and what I am thinking is that those teens who do add content quite often to TFT can continue to do so even if they age --- but, that all depends on the success of the organization. If TFT doesn't go very well, then I will consider modifying the purpose for the average Joe, including teens!

ADDED: Furthermore, there are plenty of organizations (such as HO-Collector, Model Railroader Magazine, National Model Railroad Assoication, N Scale Magazine etc) for those who "grow up" out of the TFT organization and desire to move on to even-more-serious model rairoading. Teens for Trains would basically serve as a net to catch young people interested in the hobby and propel their skills, to the point where they would be successful at the more "advanced" organizations.

I truly appreciate everyone's imput and do hope to hear from more of you!

Edited by - RP model railroads on November 01 2017 7:11:52 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - November 01 2017 :  10:57:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
With regards to Youtube, they shouldn't have popup ads (if it does, then it's probably a virus on your end) and ads before the video are only done if the channel creator signs up for it (They get small kickbacks in ad revenue) or in rare cases if something in the video is copyright claimed and the copyright owner is feeling greedy, in which case they'll put ads on the video and take said ad revenue. Comments wise, I'm 99% sure that happens on Vimeo as well, and is something I think every teenager has dealt with in spades already. Everyone I know certainly has, and we're all 14-15. Still, Vimeo's not the worst platform I guess.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 03 2017 :  9:31:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good evening everyone,

Just an update: I have added a "Subscriber" feature to the TEENS for TRAINS Organization website! So, if you are interested in receiving notifications that an update has been made to the T.F.T. website, then feel free to go to the site and "Subscribe" to the mailing list. :)

Thanks,

-RP

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 03 2017 :  9:52:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I shall subscribe!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 04 2017 :  07:28:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great! - Thanks Chops!

Previous Topic: Menard''s Trains! Topic Next Topic: Traction HO  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000