Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Set of the week. (SOTW)
 SotW Oct. 1 - Oct. 7
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: SOTW Oct. 8 to 14, 2017 Topic Next Topic: Set of the Week 24 Sept . . .  

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 01 2017 :  5:25:48 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
This is a vintage Empire Builder that was listed on ebay a few months back. It consists of two Hobbytown E-units and a string or Sampson passenger cars.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator 

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 02 2017 :  05:36:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Yo, I've got that same setup, but unfinished as of yet. My SOTW is my recently finished Mantua
Belle of the 80's passenger set. I got the passenger cars on eBay with the intent of stripping
them down to the brass. When I received them however, the assembly and paint that the
previous owner had done was just too good to ruin. So I found a new Belle of the 80's loco kit
for the power.

I replaced the headlamp, handrail/stanchions and lead truck for better ones than provided.

I'm still awaiting the decals to arrive to finish up. Here is a link to the set in motion. If anyone
can think of something I could do to improve the looks of the loco, I'd appreciate some
ideas.

https://youtu.be/xd0k-PmZeys
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 02 2017 :  12:23:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice set George. I enjoyed seeing your video with the vintage houses and shops you've built. When I first started collecting the older Mantua Metal Products equipment, I had the goal of rebuilding them all to pristine condition, but as you have found, I've decided to keep some of them just the way they were built by the original modelers some 50 or more years ago. Every once in a while, you run across some really nice ones.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 03 2017 :  8:03:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

My vintage UP Tyco Piggy Backs at the Cielo Vista Mall Show on the compressed model of the
Union Pacific's titan Santa Theresa Yard, New Mexico. These Tyco babes ran flawlessly for eight
hours. If my Tyco was a woman, I'd marry it. Or I'd be a polygamist, as I have hundreds of
Tyco pieces.

They don't call you "DaCheez" for nuttin', DaCheez. That Hobbytown set is pure gorgeous, and I
wouldn't touch up the "weathering" for nuttin', either.

That Blue Belle is amazing. Just a thought, what about white wall drivers?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11211  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 03 2017 :  8:58:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
That's not a bad idea Chops. Maybe do the lead truck wheels and the edge of the walkway as well.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 03 2017 :  11:36:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
If anyone can think of something I could do to improve the looks of the loco, I'd appreciate some ideas.
Originally posted by oldtimer52 - October 02 2017 :  05:36:15 AM

A bell for the belle comes to mind, both because the top of the boiler seems a bit sparse without it, and because people miss it if it's not there.

It strikes me that all that acreage of gray looks a bit like primer. Maybe making the driving wheels another color would break it up a little.

Giving the tender the same two toned, blue over gray pattern as the cars would add a bit of pizazz to the set as a whole (if you have the whole masking thing mastered).

It's possible that the cylinders would look better in the same blue as the boiler jacket, since cylinders are jacketed like boilers.

Anyway, tastes differ from person to person, but that's my 2 cents' worth.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

chevelle454
Big Six

SFChiefAvatar

Posted - October 04 2017 :  08:49:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add chevelle454 to Buddylist
quote:

My vintage UP Tyco Piggy Backs at the Cielo Vista Mall Show on the compressed model of the
Union Pacific's titan Santa Theresa Yard, New Mexico. These Tyco babes ran flawlessly for eight
hours. If my Tyco was a woman, I'd marry it. Or I'd be a polygamist, as I have hundreds of
Tyco pieces.

They don't call you "DaCheez" for nuttin', DaCheez. That Hobbytown set is pure gorgeous, and I
wouldn't touch up the "weathering" for nuttin', either.

That Blue Belle is amazing. Just a thought, what about white wall drivers?

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 03 2017 :  8:03:22 PM

I used to Have 8 of those. It was my favorite train to run!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: June 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: August 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 04 2017 :  12:07:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
[

I used to Have 8 of those. It was my favorite train to run!

Originally posted by chevelle454 - October 04 2017 :  08:49:03 AM

oh I has a box full of those trailers & flatcars hehe
& at least 1 or 2 by Athern
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 07 2017 :  8:50:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
A successful day at the Cow Palace. The great scale model train show is in full swing this weekend at the Maryland State Fairgrounds in Timonium, Maryland. I’ve been here many times and bought a few items, but never like today.

Here is a Gilbert HO 330 set in near mint condition. The engine is gorgeous, no chips, scrapes, etc… The seller said it may have been run a few times around the track and I believe him. The biggest drawback is the 3 inch tear on the lid. After dickering for a while, I ended up paying $205 for this nifty set. I checked out the GilbertHO website and see that the caboose should be Reading, not N.Y.C., otherwise it seems to be complete.

Edited by - Brian4321 on October 07 2017 8:53:11 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 512  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 07 2017 :  10:12:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
To all of the guys who made suggestions as to how to improve the Belle, thanks. I just had some
brain farts when I got finished and did the painting. Here are the results.

waw47
Hudson

Posted - October 07 2017 :  10:21:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Brian,

Your Gilbert #330 set is correct. You have the 1955 set, which came with the 516 Reading Caboose. The 1956 #330 set came with the 516 NYC Caboose.

Edited by - waw47 on October 07 2017 10:24:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 08 2017 :  12:15:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Waw,

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct. I just realized that the GilbertHO site has an error. The text for set 330, 1955, mentions the Reading caboose, but the picture is a NYC caboose. I have notified the GilbertHO webmaster of this issue. I don't have any comprehensive AF/Gilbert reference books that show sets. FMI, what resource did you use to arrive at your conclusion?

Oldtimer, I think the Belle looks great. I'm learning a lot from you and other members. Keep up the good work.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 512  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 08 2017 :  10:24:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Waw,

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct. I just realized that the GilbertHO site has an error. The text for set 330, 1955, mentions the Reading caboose, but the picture is a NYC caboose. I have notified the GilbertHO webmaster of this issue. I don't have any comprehensive AF/Gilbert reference books that show sets. FMI, what resource did you use to arrive at your conclusion?

Oldtimer, I think the Belle looks great. I'm learning a lot from you and other members. Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by Brian4321 - October 08 2017 :  12:15:04 AM

well usually when you get a loco of NYC you should have the MATCHING caboose!
Shouldn't you?
it would of made sense but I guess Gilbert AF didn't think like that
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - October 08 2017 :  12:35:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Brian

You need to go back and look at the Gilbert HO Index, The catalog picture for 1955 shows a Reading Caboose. The catalog picture for 1956 shows a NYC Caboose.

The best source for information on Gilbert/American Flyer HO is the Price Guide and Checklist by: Charles J. Sommer. It is out of print, but shows up on ebay every now and then. The HO Seeker site has most of the Gilbert HO catalogs on their site. The Gilbert HO Index is very accurate and tells you what was produced and when. Also, there is a Gilbert HO group on Yahoo.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 08 2017 :  2:45:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Waw,

OK, now I'm in sync with you. The GilbertHO site has a text description and then supporting photos from their own collection. This is what I was looking at. My mistake. I didn't see the link to the catalog page, which does show the Reading caboose as part of the set. Thanks for pointing that out and I'll use the catalog link in the days ahead. Thanks for the info about the reference guides and Yahoo site.

microbusss,

I agree that it sounds logical to have the engine and caboose named alike. I'm sure we could create a topic (if there isn't already one) devoted to illogical things the various train manufacturers have done over the years.

waw47
Hudson

Posted - October 08 2017 :  3:29:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Brian

1955 was first year Gilbert produced HO trains after the Korean War. The only cabooses they produced in 1955 were Readings #506 and the lighted #516. They outsourced the production of F3 Diesels, tank cars, hoppers and Katy stock to Varney that year.

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - October 08 2017 :  6:14:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Many thanks, Waw. This is very useful information and I've downloaded it to my archives.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 08 2017 :  9:13:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
To all of the guys who made suggestions as to how to improve the Belle, thanks. I just had some brain farts when I got finished and did the painting. Here are the results.
Originally posted by oldtimer52 - October 07 2017 :  10:12:21 PM

Sweet set! That final result is one sharp looking train.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: SOTW Oct. 8 to 14, 2017 Topic Next Topic: Set of the Week 24 Sept . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000