Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 4x8 layout blank canvas right now
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #16  September / October Topic Next Topic: Rearranging . . .  

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - July 24 2017 :  9:04:48 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
Right now my 4x8 layout is a blank piece of wood, not a thing on it. Had been messing around with Marklin 3 rail, but have other ideas what I can do with my train budget beyond high doller HO stuff. Always have had a thing for the Royal Blue, starting with the brown box era 2-8-0.(the old school 4-6-2 was before my kid days!). I have thought about a layout, loosely based on the old B&0 but calling it the Royal Blue Line. Motive power being a few of the RB 2-8-0's for freight duty, one of the 4-6-2 Pacific's for passenger duties. Main freight commodity would be coal from the "Blue Flame" mine. I would try to use mostly all Tyco buildings. Not sure yet whether to just paint the plywood green for now, or wait till I can get a grass mat. Also debating on using cork roadbed or not. Next step is actually to get a sheet of Homasote to cover the plywood and make track laying easier since I have to lay across the top of the table. I only have access from the front edge, the rear and both sides are agaisnt the walls of the room. All turnouts would be along the front edge so derailments would be easily fixed. I can get tons of brass track for next to nothing if not nothing to keep the layout vintage looking. I have one of the older Walthers Bright Boys when they were stiff like a rock, not the floppy things they are now when you buy them, so track cleaning is no big issue. Thinking maybe a pair of Midnight Special sharks for diesel power since they are mostly blue. Probably could mask and respray to change them from Midnight special to Royal Blue. My custom decal maker can do decals for me. Just thinking out loud and looking for other ideas. Mike
Still NT's, I have Aspergers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator 

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - July 24 2017 :  10:00:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
Idea #2, as I am going to take a Chattanooga 2-8-0 to custom paint into an excursion engine from my childhood. I have thought about modeling that town, Logansport, Indiana during the mid 1980's. Railroads in that area back then was TP&W with thier Ex Santa Fe blue bonnet GP20's, Norfolk and Western came across the Conrail Ex PRR main at a diamond just to the south of where the excursion train ran, so it could be just false modeled so no need for high hood units, or a couple older Bachmann high hood EMD's could be used. Then you had Conrail that came up from Kokomo where I live and interchanged with the TP&W just west of Logansport. Although in later years, TP&W came on into Logansport and interchanged at the old PRR yard and still do, just under G&W ownership now. The shortline to Kokomo is operated by USRail right now. But for a 1980's time frame, you have the Logansport & Eel River RR museum line, the ex ATSF GP20's on the TP&W(easilly modeled with Tyco MU2 powered GP20's)although the Tyco Santa Fe paint scheme is the older blue freight scheme, its close enough. Freight is a mix of ag products, sweetner tank cars and grain hoppers. The museum line kept the excursion coaches on a short piece of the old "Butler Branch" of the PRR and the steamer was kept in an old warehouse back then. The steam excursion would usually run west from downtown Logansport were the festival was going on, out to France Park, then shove the train back wards to Logansport after a short layover. Coaches are easily done with MDC/Roundhouse Harriman cars in PRR maroon and relettered for the museum. Just another idea, maybe a bit cheaper with less engines and rolling stock needed. A bit more custom painting, but thats ok. Mike
Still NT's, I have Aspergers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #16  September / October Topic Next Topic: Rearranging . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000