Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Campbell's Scarlet Slipper
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Freight Station - Tyco Kit 7785 Topic Next Topic: Flat car bridge . . .  

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 11 2017 :  3:15:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
This week I'm working on Campbell's model of Scarlet Slipper. I got this kit cheap ($30 as opposed
to the other outrageous prices) because:

1. It had already been started and they did not know if all of the pieces were there.
2. Some of the wall pieces were dry and very brittle.
3. It was in a different box.

I had to replace all of the wall and flooring pieces because they were breaking.

So far I have the first and second floors assembled and have started on the trim and roof. I
opted for a cream color for the walls and a dark scarlet for the trim rather than the dull, dark
colors that the designers chose.

Will post more as I get it completed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator 

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - May 11 2017 :  4:29:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks pretty fine George. What product(s) did you end up using for the walls and floors?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 11 2017 :  5:43:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
I use the products from Northeastern Scale Lumber (http://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/).
The walls were 1/32 x 1/32 scribed siding and the floor was 1/16 x 1/32 scribed siding. They have
a really large selection of lumbers in ALL scales and types of woods.

The walls were originally 1/32 x 1/32 clapboard siding. I just don't like that type tho.

Edited by - oldtimer52 on May 11 2017 5:44:35 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 12 2017 :  07:07:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well Old Timer you got a good project there. With spring here I am starting to perk up and look for something to accomplish. I hope it will be more than getting a case of beer. I am finishing off a Lee Town conversion of a Tyco 2-8-0 to a CNJ E4 0-8-0. Actually put the black paint on it yesterday. I'll try to do the lettering today. Then get that case of beer. I am looking forward to a sunset on the porch assessing the quality of the brew.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 12 2017 :  1:14:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Heck Top, everyone knows that a case of beer ALWAYS makes the project go faster.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 12 2017 :  4:00:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
With me it just puts me to sleep.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 18 2017 :  11:46:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Ok, I've finally gotten the Saloon part of the model finished.

Now for the rough part. There is an add-on being built onto the main building and that is the next
part.

As you an see, they are plans based on a real building. The parts supplied by Campbells, is
HO scale lumber.

These are 4"x4"s in HO scale compared to a straight pin.

These are2"x4"s in HO scale compared to a straight pin. They are as thin as a post card.
This will be an interesting build, providing I can make I thru the build. Gonna need the
coke bottle bottom glasses, tweezers and pins to put this together. Will post as I make it
thru each section (providing I still have my sanity).

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - May 18 2017 :  3:40:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That's a pretty fine vintage building George. I will indeed be interested in watching you build the add on. I work with that scale lumber occasionally and I can appreciate that it is not a simple task to keep things square and straight.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 18 2017 :  3:40:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you forgot to add a building the the back of saloon

looking great
Love the Old West style of buildings
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 20 2017 :  09:59:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Ok. Got the first wall finished. I had to make a couple of aids to make this work. I needed a
small square to make sure that the structure was squared off. I used my large square to make
a smaller styrene version.

Then I made full sized copies of the blueprints and covered them with wax paper to prevent the
glue from sticking to the blueprint.

This is the result so far.

Will post more as I get them completed.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - May 20 2017 :  7:12:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I'd say you pass George. Looks nice and straight from here and it seems that flaws would be magnified by a photo. Seems like a good plan, building right on the blueprint.

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 20 2017 :  8:57:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Thanks. Building from the blueprints is the only way this build would get done. The wood is just TOO small to try it any other way.

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - June 05 2017 :  8:25:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Ok. After reality and some material problems, it's finished. When I said "rough" I was WAY
understating this challenge. As small as the material was and the age, I had some problems
with the wood being brittle. Had to make some replacement 2x4's and That was a real
job. Also found that the floor drawing was not quite the same width as the front and back
walls and had to fix that on the fly.

And finally, if you should think about doing one of these kits, you will need 3 additional
items:

1. Plenty of headache medicine (eye strain)
2. Plenty of muscle relaxers (shoulders and neck)
3. A fifth of whiskey to help forget that you ever decided to try this project!!!!!!!!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 05 2017 :  8:48:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That is some fine work George. Almost a shame to put siding on that, or do I recall that the add on building is suppose to be under construction?

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - June 06 2017 :  11:43:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
This is supposed to be an add-on being built. There won't be any siding or roof put on it. I have
some carpenter figures coming that I will be putting around and on the frame.
  Previous Topic: Tyco Freight Station - Tyco Kit 7785 Topic Next Topic: Flat car bridge . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000