Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 F7 old and new comparison chassis's
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Old Athearn open frame motor Q: Neodymium magnets Topic Next Topic: Doing floorplans for streamliners  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 02 2017 :  10:57:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I bought an old Varney ACL engine at my train shop, and wanted a more reliable power source, so I hit ebay a few weeks ago and acquired an older Blue box with an open frame motor, and another local train shop had a newer F7 chassis with a CN shell. Pretty neat comparison side by side. The older one doesn't run as fast as the newer can motor version. But still quiet and smooth. Thought I'd post them to show the differences.
I just Decoder'ed the newer version, and had to delete the weight as the Varney shell roof was rounder, and would not fit down on the chassis all the way. It's heavy enough to pull a few ACL passenger cars, though, which is all I really want it to do. Should work fine. Fired the decoder up at the shop tonight, and reprogrammed the address for 7 ( as in F7 ). Varney shell fits like a glove, and it runs great. I did have to grind some of the front rounded corners away, as the front of the Varney shell was again too tight in this area to fit without some mods. But a little Dremel grinding and it fits nicely. Can't wait to try it out.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 
  Previous Topic: Old Athearn open frame motor Q: Neodymium magnets Topic Next Topic: Doing floorplans for streamliners  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000