Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Dave's 4'x12' Layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Burlington County Model RR Club Topic Next Topic: Cumberland Terminal locomotive trials.
Page: of 3

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 02 2017 :  12:48:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Well here we go. New Year, new layout!
Some updates:

The Ben and Jerry's Matchbox truck I have had since my childhood is on the layout

A string of billboard cars I aquired at the Train Show in KC.

A Walther's dash 8, also aquired from the show.

The new church I have christened St. Johns Church.

Al's general store is also part of the country town section!

The cattle pasture across the road.

And best for last, the vast majority of the layout which is unfinished
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 02 2017 :  2:44:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Ben & Jerry's truck is a want cause the 1st name is my rl name hehe
as is Pizza Hut & Al's General Store BUT I wants the original one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 02 2017 :  4:48:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice come back! I seem to recall your temporary layout
was on like this little card table with a circle of track!
That farm scene came out super nice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 02 2017 :  7:26:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Looks like you're off to a great start! I'm dying to build a layout that size but have no space at the moment. How many trains will you be able to run simultaneously? And that track with the bridge that just shoots into the air...is that destined to be an elevated section of track?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 02 2017 :  8:30:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Looking good! I want to see more of that mountain once it's scenicked.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 02 2017 :  9:12:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks like you got some neat stuff goin' on there. Even the way that wadded up paper held together with masking tape helps you imagine a mountain. Keep the photos comin.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 02 2017 :  9:23:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
Looks like you're off to a great start! I'm dying to build a layout that size but have no space at the moment. How many trains will you be able to run simultaneously? And that track with the bridge that just shoots into the air...is that destined to be an elevated section of track?

Originally posted by DaCheez - January 02 2017 :  7:26:09 PM

DaCheez, Thanks! I should be able to run three trains once all the track is laid, with the large oval, inner oval, and possible figure 8-like shape. And yes, you are correct, that bridge will be an elevated section or a place to dump power torques when they inevitably go bad
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 02 2017 :  9:24:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
Looking good! I want to see more of that mountain once it's scenicked.

Originally posted by Redwoods - January 02 2017 :  8:30:38 PM

Will do! Planning to have a coal mining section as well as a logging industry on that section.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 02 2017 :  9:32:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
when I do my layout it will have a active volcano, gold mine & silly stuffs on it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 27 2017 :  5:17:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Some more updates for y'all!

A new piece of furniture I acquired. My parents wanted to throw it out, and I said heck no I'll take it! Only problem is, its already full

A Heljan grain elevator I've worked on assembling over the month. Looks real nice on the rural section.

The second crop farm, the barn and tractor scene is complete. The barn door broke off, so I just put it in the truck bed

A corn field kit for the farm I will get started on when I have the time.

The Mercedes Car Agency I bought at Omaha last summer is now a Ford dealer! This will be going on the town section once all the track is laid.

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 27 2017 :  6:55:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I like the grain elevator and the dealership!

Also, which Bachmann FEF-1 is that? The dolled-up ATSF Northern or the dolled-up Niagara?

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 27 2017 :  9:01:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:

Also, which Bachmann FEF-1 is that? The dolled-up ATSF Northern or the dolled-up Niagara?

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - February 27 2017 : 6:55:35 PM

Thanks Zelda!
And that is a Gray Overland Limited 4-8-4 by Bachmann

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 27 2017 :  10:03:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Thanks Zelda!

Originally posted by bnsfIA - February 27 2017 :  9:01:55 PM

Yes, I know that. But Bachmann doesn't have an actual FEF-1 shell tooling. So instead their "Overland Limited" locos are either Niagaras or Santa Fe Northerns doing FEF-1 cosplay. I was just wondering which yours was

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 28 2017 :  08:22:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks Zelda!

Originally posted by bnsfIA - February 27 2017 :  9:01:55 PM

Yes, I know that. But Bachmann doesn't have an actual FEF-1 shell tooling. So instead their "Overland Limited" locos are either Niagaras or Santa Fe Northerns doing FEF-1 cosplay. I was just wondering which yours was

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - February 27 2017 :  10:03:53 PM

Its a Niagara

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - February 28 2017 :  6:10:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
That grain elevator is well done!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 28 2017 :  8:09:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
That grain elevator is well done!

Originally posted by Redwoods - February 28 2017 :  6:10:27 PM

yeah
Called the Prairie Skyscraper too

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - June 05 2017 :  2:01:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
More Updates!
Progress has been slow as life gets in the way

The new switch section that goes to the grain elevator, as well as the parallel gravel road.

The new bachmann ranch house.

The cornfield is starting to come in, signalling a late summer setting.

Another home with a patio.

The life-like logging mill I purchased at the Omaha train show (2 bucks!) which will find its way to the logging/coal section.

Edited by - bnsfIA on June 05 2017 2:05:44 PM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 05 2017 :  3:31:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That logging mill looks like it could be fun.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 05 2017 :  8:48:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
if you needs a pic of the dump car I have 2

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 05 2017 :  11:16:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I like the grain elevator. There's one I go by often in Columbus, Ohio. Have always liked that building up there...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - June 12 2017 :  4:48:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Plenty of work on the layout last weekend

The now-paved grain elevator area.

Piggyback terminal

Ford dealership

Plasticville motel

An overview of the rural section of the layout

The under-construction mountainous area, which will have an elevated oval track and many tunnels.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - June 12 2017 :  6:44:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Mighty fine work!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 12 2017 :  7:13:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow! Great placement of the log loader! Definitely see some Iowa
Corn Country in there, and if you'll excuse the bad pun, looks
like you're going to the next level with the mountain high country,
there.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 12 2017 :  7:29:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Does one of those tracks come out of the tunnel to rise to the top level in a half-turn? Be interesting to see that locomotive work on that one.

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - June 12 2017 :  9:23:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
Does one of those tracks come out of the tunnel to rise to the top level in a half-turn? Be interesting to see that locomotive work on that one.

Originally posted by Barry - June 12 2017 :  7:29:30 PM

No, its just a fully elevated oval.
In and 18"r half turn, the grade would be like 35%

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 13 2017 :  12:02:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Good eye, Barry, I didn't catch that. That separate oval
is a pretty neat idea to squeeze in some more action.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 02 2017 :  09:07:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
I'm back under a (sorta) new handle.
I'll start posting pictures again soon!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 03 2017 :  8:57:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Okays here we go

Another overview of the rural area. I added the grain bin seen on the left and worked on the crossing. It just needs to be sanded and painted now.

The much worked on mountain. Finally covered it with shop towels and plaster and painted it. I will scenic it when I can afford to do so.

The life like logging mill enjoys a high vantage point from the side of the mountaintop.

A DPM corner cafe converted into an Italian Restaurant, complete with a furnished interior and lighting. A definite centerpiece of Main Street

The Tyco Lighted Factory has officially found a sound place in town.

A view of the bridge comin' round the mountain.

Loads of updates are coming soon, I have many kits, mostly for Main street, that I will be finishing and placing on the layout. Stay tuned!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 03 2017 :  11:28:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Very nice work, bnsfIA!! Can't wait to see more additions to your layout- especially to the bridge comin' round the mountain.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 04 2017 :  12:20:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
what I wanted to do to the L-L lumber mill was have a track on top to unload the logs to the mill

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 04 2017 :  10:27:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
HE'SSS BAAAA-AAAAACK.....missed you Dave. Your layout has given
me some creative jolts. I want to follow your clever design of installing
a seperate elevated section, to which I received a quantity of excellent
masonry trestles from The Siding to do this up.

Rozzano's is great- one can see the tables and chairs through the
windows. I am envious of that Tyco factory. A great vintage piece.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 16 2017 :  8:32:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
RP- Thank you! Just over a year put into this project now
Micro- Same
Chops- I saw your elevated track, it looked really good! I did put a lot of time into Rozzano's, glad you like it.

More Updates:

A recently acquired Bachmann gas station, placed right by the highway.

The Tyco Pizza Hut, I purchased it sealed in box for just 15 bucks at a train show earlier this year .

The latest addition to Main Street. Robert's Supermarket. Take a good look back to the mid 70s in small town America.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 16 2017 :  10:51:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
not bad $15 for the Pizza Hut
got the sign too?

need to get that gas station but in the original Texaco

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 17 2017 :  11:10:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looking good in the neighborhood, BNSFIA!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 17 2017 :  1:07:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
NICE scenery bnsfIA!! I like that Pizza Hut!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - November 27 2017 :  4:05:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Thanks RP, Chops, and Micro!
More updates!

A Pola Sawmill, picked this up sealed for $18.

An overview of Main Street.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 27 2017 :  4:07:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking good!!! Keep up the great work!!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 27 2017 :  4:46:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you needs a culvert where that creek ends

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 28 2017 :  11:08:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

I shamelessly stole Dave's idea and applied it to the Tycomania VII
layout. An ingenious little solution for what to do when the room is run
out. I love that creek and wheel bit- very kitsch, very cool.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - November 28 2017 :  2:28:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Thanks Jeff!
I won't take all credit though, the idea sprouted from seeing the Life Like "City Express" set with a fully elevated oval.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 07 2018 :  11:54:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
What happens when you run out of space on your layout? Expand!
Below is my preliminary sketch of my layout expansion plan. It is an L shape consisting of 42" x 60", 24" x 48", and 36" x 42" boards which will contain an additional oval of track, a rail yard, and a turntable/roundhouse. I have recently purchased a majority of the track I am going to use, as well as a Heljan turntable and Cornerstone roundhouse. Stay tuned!

Edited by - RealBnsfIA on January 07 2018 11:56:51 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 08 2018 :  10:20:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
As Tony Beets (Gold Rush) would say, "Bang the #%#@%!!! thing out!"

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 16 2018 :  5:08:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
I've gotten plenty of time to work on the layout over the last few days

The new roundhouse area is taking shape

Some trees and tunnel portals are popping up on the mountain

A menards maintenance shed that will be going in the yard

A new lake/campground area

I've been doing a lot of building/scenery work recently, as well as track laying for the new sections.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 16 2018 :  6:09:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
You have some nice features on there Dave. Be interesting to see when you get the mountain fleshed out and the turntable up and running.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 16 2018 :  6:54:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you should make a device where you can open & close the doors automatically with a press of a button on that loco shed

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - January 16 2018 :  7:35:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Very nice attention to detail, including but not limited to the cornfield and lake. Keep up the good work.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 16 2018 :  9:54:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Excellent work, bnsfIA!! Looks like the roundhouse and turntable are coming together nicely, and the camping area is very realistic!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 17 2018 :  01:54:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Darn, that's fine!! Lovin' that pond.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 11 2018 :  4:38:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Yep, it's been a while since I've posted an update. I haven't got a whole lot of work done, things have been kinda busy. A lot of my hobby money just went into fixing my truck (alternator went out), luckily I do most of my work myself so it only set me back 150 bucks (still, that was supposed to go to trains). Hopefully I will be able to post more work here soon!

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 18 2018 :  9:46:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Updates!

More trees and detail added to the camping scene.

A more detailed cornfield.

The Tyco Freight Depot is up and running!

A fresh shot of the highway with more scenery recently added.

The latest addition to Dave's Railroad roster. A Mantua Pennsylvania Mikado.

Some base scenery done to the mountain. It will be given a generous coating of trees some time in the future.

The roundhouse is slowly, but surely, getting built

A neat view to the tracks from the passenger station.

The turntable showing off my Mantua Union Pacific Steam Locomotive.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 18 2018 :  10:14:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking great, BnsfIA!

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Burlington County Model RR Club Topic Next Topic: Cumberland Terminal locomotive trials.  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000