Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Working Wig Wags for US-1 Grade Crossings
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Building Kits Topic Next Topic: US-1 Firebird (unpowered)  

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - December 08 2016 :  4:25:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Dear All,

I am posting from the UK, so please forgive the probably incorrect use of the term Wig Wag. In the UK we use this to refer to all grade crossing lights, but having looked it up, I relaise that in the US it refers to the original pendulum type signals at Grade Crossings.

My speciality is temporary layouts, often using HO roadways and railroads. The layouts usually feature a pair of automated grade crossings, where the cars stop for the trains. When I knew I had to do a layout using Tyco US-1 and Life-Like trains I found some BUSCH 5934 type Wig Wags on e-bay. I relaised that they would look great on the layout. Each set contained two stalks with working lights, a flasher unit that ran from 15 to 18V AC and a dummy switch box.

They retail for around $30 USD, so I bought two sets and mounted them on some circuit board bases. They were designed to come on as the train approached (together with a Faller bell unit) and remain on until after the train had cleared.

They looked great and worked well:

jamesday@btinternet.com/20161208161348_BUCSHWigWag.JPG" border="0" style='cursor:default' onload='resizeImage(this);' onClick='doimage(this,event)'>

Having assembled and tested the two units I carefully boxed them up and took them to the show. Sadly being made out of plastic they were really delicate and one was damaged before the show began! It still worked well but needed mending.

I was going to simply replace the BUSCH units with the same again and then I saw e-bay item : 152018832121

These are Chinese, half the price, post free and made from metal. The stalks are slightly higher and need to be 'planted', so some wooden bases were used to support them. They run from 3v DC and some with two flasher units and batteries.

The damaged BUSCH unit was stripped down and tests were conducted that showed that the Chinese units would run from the BUSCH flasher. The unit was rebuilt and now looks like this:

jamesday@btinternet.com/20161208162256_ChineseWigWag.JPG" border="0" style='cursor:default' onload='resizeImage(this);' onClick='doimage(this,event)'>

It is slightly higher than it was before, but hopefully more resiliant. I am taking the US-1 and Life-Like to a show soon, so I am looking forward to seeing how the improved units fare.

I would certainly reccomend these Chinese made Wig Wags! They are strong, good looking and incredibly good value!

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on December 08 2016 4:42:55 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 08 2016 :  7:18:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
your pix did not work in here
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - December 09 2016 :  02:16:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Sorry,

I relaise that, but have no idea why. They were reduced in size to a few KB and the file name changed to fit the rules.

I am using the attachment feature, as the Image feature does not seem to work at all (for me)..... The Image is in Microsoft Picture format too. When posted it had the necesary image borders included in the string.

I have tried several times, but am not able to do this here. I have previously sucessfully posted images in other forums such as G Scale Central, so am fmailiar with the concept, but I guess I am missing something simple, yet vital!

Any tips, suggestions or instructions welcomed!

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on December 09 2016 04:59:58 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - December 09 2016 :  08:32:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Try editing the post and just manually typing out the URL and the IMG tags around it.
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 09 2016 :  10:48:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I'm not certain, but I think you may have given yourself an unfortunate username. The "at sign" in your email address might be taken as some sort of substitution symbol by one of the many scripts and programs deciphering the file name of the picture. It's valid in Unix file names, but may be fouling up some other language like Asp.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - December 09 2016 :  4:29:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Guys,

I appreciate both the replies. I had tried doing the first thing myself, without success, but I think that scsshaggy is on to something!

Oops

I had beter try contact a moderator to see if I can revise my user name as I realise that this is beyond me!

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - December 10 2016 :  06:36:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Hi Guys,

This is James logged in under an alias! Trying to load those wretched pictures:

This is the original BUSCH plastic Wig Wag set with the flasher unit and dummy switch box mounted on a peice of Verro Board and placed under the crossing. The two lights on each stalk flash alternately.

This is the second unit, that has now been rebuilt with the cheap Chinese metal Wig Wags bought from e-bay.
I have wired these to the original BUSCH flasher. They also flash alternately.

Both units are switched on and off by reeds mounted in the track as the train approaches and then leaves. The two modules that house the relays also feature a Faller Synchrnus motor that powers a drum that operates a Faller bell. This gives the customary 'ding ding ding' as the train is approaching and passing over each grade crossing. I place the relay and bell underneath the table directly below each crossing as they are too big to mounted on top of the table!

These units are for temporary loose-lay type layouts mainly done at shows, but sometimes by taking over the dining room!

James

PS: Thanks scsshaggy - You were 100% correct!

Edited by - Highwayman97 on December 10 2016 07:43:05 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 10 2016 :  8:02:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ok NOW it works
Pretty cool & I thought you meant Wig Wags as in these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigwag_(railroad)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - December 11 2016 :  03:52:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
it is a Wig Wag Jim, but not as we know it!

Sadly, a real pendulum type Wig Wag in H0 scale would probably not be that visual, (unless it was also illuminated)!

I did read the Wiki pages and even ended up watching the Grade Crossing scene from Lemony Snicket's Series of unfortunate events to see an old style Wig Wag working.

Last year I acquired a complete early 1960s Marx slot and rail set. Thnis lacks working Wig Wags, but includes automatic stopping of the two cars AND operation of the barriers - triggered by the approaching train.

I have never had working barriers on any of my road rail layouts, so this is very interesting and something I look forward to tinkering with, when get time!

James

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 14 2016 :  10:43:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A most interesting piece, thank you James. I once tried to combine HO slot cars with a Tyco based layout
one several occasions, but found the hyper speed of slot cars a difficult, if not insurmountable problem.
Is there a manufacturer of "slow" 1/87 slot, or a re-gearing kit? I suppose, if I was financially inclined,
I could look towards some of these European makers of slotless equipment.

By the way, I follow the UK Model Railway Forum, as I was bitten by the Hornby bug in 1966. Now
chronically afflicted.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - December 15 2016 :  8:20:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Hello Chops, Thanks for the interest.

I like your street cars and track! What make are they?

Yes, I get your point about HO slot cars, they can go much too fast. Sadly the modern magnetic types need to go fast to escape the drag caused by the magnet! Go too slow and the car will tend to 'sit down'. If you don't wish to go supersonic, avoid anything magnetic! Life-Like - Tomy AFX, Micro Scalextric etc etc.

Tyco US-1 vehicles can be driven quite slowly, as they have pick ups at each end, which makes them very reliable.

Also the old Faller AMS system produced some very reliable chassis that could also be driven slowly. Although it is over 30 years since AMS was last made a company called Bauer still make some very nice European 60s and 70s outline cars that they supply on new 'old stock' Aroura T Jet chassis. These are not magnetic, so can go relatively slowly.

Faller, Tyco US-1, Bauer and just about all makes of HO slot cars can share the same track and control systems. (The exceptions are the 1960s Tri-ang Minic Motorways which had a different pick up arrangement and the Matchbox slot systems that are electrically alien). So if you have some old Aurora or TYCO slot track you could run it as a roadway if you have non-magnetic cars AND you get rid of the 'silly' bits of track (crossovers, jumps, chicanes etc) which will just cause crashes and headaches!

Here are some links that will hopefully amuse you:

Our Playcraft Highways, with Aurora Model Motoring, Bauer etc and Playcraft Railways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ6X-ek10mI

Our US-1 with Life-Like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71_aiI34mAQ

It could be argued that the road traffic is still too fast for scale, but we rather like it!

Finally take a look at the link for Bauer http://world-of-slot.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=3f6fccf2bd2d32f7783e373dbefd1a8d

Follow the links at the bottom of the page to the Bauer 1/60 models - They also do replica tires and pick ups and many other parts that will help keep lots of old Aurora and Faller cars running.

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on December 15 2016 8:22:04 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 16 2016 :  01:40:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md0ahClgrRc

try YouTube hehe

ok its a CGI but you get the idea

Edited by - microbusss on December 16 2016 01:41:50 AM

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - December 16 2016 :  07:00:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Now that is a 'proper' wig wag! Pendulum action and all!

As I said at the begining, the term means a different thing in the UK!

Not sure why the vehicles are crossing when the pendulum is swinging though.....

I found this link better once you get past all the stills. It even shows it stopping slowly - Persistance of motion I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oq4pL0AbJc

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on December 16 2016 2:02:52 PM

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 16 2016 :  2:40:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Here's an HO scale wig wag that I built up from a Don Fowler kit and installed on my Redwoods and Pacific RR. I believe that he produced these in the 1960s and 1970s. It's actuated by a CDS cell circuit that I got on eBay. The Fowler wig wag is louder than heck so I think some day I will replace the mechanism with a quieter motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp77ZA_3VYQ
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Building Kits Topic Next Topic: US-1 Firebird (unpowered)  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000