Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 How Not to Build a Layout, con't
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Atlas snap track nickel silver turnouts Topic Next Topic: Dangerous Diamonds  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 04 2016 :  12:20:41 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Sitting in my bath robe, drinking coffee, procrastinating while surfing my favorite
website, came across this archival shot of what I call, not affectionately, "The Tunnel
of Gordo," after its creator who shall remain anonymous, at the El Paso Model Train
Club. Trying to reach this far corner of the realm when a train stalls, or derails, which
is not infrequently, in this corner requires a combination of acrobatic and limbo skills
that many of us lost after the age of 12. Of course, balancing on the ball of one foot
upon a sagging folding chair is also just so much fun that I cannot describe it here,
as this is a "G" rated forum. Moral of the story: never put track where it cannot be
easily reached.

I was able to achieve a small grant from the Union Pacific Foundation, last year, which was used to
patch a leaking roof, in years to come I am secretly planning on ratcheting up the amount
until I can propose that we attach a length of braided steel cable to one corner of this
old layout and have it pulled out the door by means of a Caterpillar tractor. Then we can
start over- no duck unders, no subterranean turnouts, and no tunnels in impossible to reach
places.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 28 2016 :  6:48:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:

Trying to reach this far corner of the realm when a train stalls, or derails, which
is not infrequently, in this corner requires a combination of acrobatic and limbo skills
that many of us lost after the age of 12.
Originally posted by Chops124 - December 04 2016 :  12:20:41 PM

Hah, reminds me of the club I used to hang out at when I was younger. As the only one under 30 I WAS the designated 12-year-old sent down under the benchwork every time something went wrong on one of the (far, far too numerous and lengthy) sections of underground trackage.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

yardmaster54
Big Six

Spirit of 76

Posted - December 29 2016 :  10:32:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send yardmaster54 a Yahoo! Message  Add yardmaster54 to Buddylist
quote:

Sitting in my bath robe, drinking coffee, procrastinating while surfing my favorite
website, came across this archival shot of what I call, not affectionately, "The Tunnel
of Gordo," after its creator who shall remain anonymous, at the El Paso Model Train
Club. Trying to reach this far corner of the realm when a train stalls, or derails, which
that many of us lost after the age of 12. Of course, balancing on the ball of one foot
upon a sagging folding chair is also just so much fun that I cannot describe it here,
as this is a "G" rated forum. Moral of the story: never put track where it cannot be
easily reached.

I was able to achieve a small grant from the Union Pacific Foundation, last year, which was used to
patch a leaking roof, in years to come I am secretly planning on ratcheting up the amount
until I can propose that we attach a length of braided steel cable to one corner of this
old layout and have it pulled out the door by means of a Caterpillar tractor. Then we can
start over- no duck unders, no subterranean turnouts, and no tunnels in impossible to reach
places.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 04 2016 :  12:20:41 PM

Are those Christmas lights I see in background?

Yardmaster 54
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 277  ~  Member Since: October 01 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - December 29 2016 :  11:34:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
And this is where you have a battery operated, RC locomotive to go fish the stranded train out of the tunnel, and then to take the track cleaning car through a couple times.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 30 2016 :  6:30:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Or a long stick.

Yes, the Christmas Lights are there so you can identify what you just
smacked your skull upon. Here is a link with a round the loop tour.
https://youtu.be/Xj2VX4uQzYg

Edited by - Chops124 on December 30 2016 6:35:07 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 30 2016 :  8:26:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That video gives quite a tour Jeff. Be a lot of fun to run a train on that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 01 2017 :  10:27:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
When it stays on the rails, yes. Additional problems is that
the circuitry was so enthusiastically built that it is a challenge
to do a whole lot more than run in circles. If you want to
run a long train, this is a place to do it. I've struggled
with this outfit for the past 20 years. It's been interesting,
put it that way.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11212  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - January 01 2017 :  12:24:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Chops - I think you and I worked with the same planning department. For all the scenic splendor of my current layout, running a train remains a challenge.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 02 2017 :  5:08:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Oh, and Barry, all to TFer's everywhere, I extend an standing
invite that when you find yourself in El Paso, give me a holler
and we will go run trains until the cows come home. Bring
as many of your trains as you can stuff into your trunk or
suitcase. I have keys to the place. We will do a bang up
photo/video shoot of your best trains.

Will also treat to you lunch at the best Mexican Food West
of the Pecos.

Edited by - Chops124 on January 02 2017 5:15:44 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 03 2017 :  08:14:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Goodmorning to all hwo read this. Well I can tell by the results of the first 6 works (words) I put into this postthat my wife has to start making the coffee a little earlerso my brain will turn onbetter. Upon reding through this threads text and viewing the lead post 3 times I have come to the comclusion that it the first post has been coppied 2 times and that it isn't a part of a moving picture that got stuck. I.m going to go now and get some coffee. B back.
Well ! yep, Well. Ok Now i have had some coffee and went back and put sommore cooffee in my coffee and I am better now.
* Yea the first 3 posts do look like a stuck movie. Chops never let anyone in to see your layout that has anything to do with a Ocha Osha O sha, ochoa, you know, like place. 4 they will board up your layout and make sure no one gets with 10 feet of it again. And you have strange places where you put Christmas decorations
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Atlas snap track nickel silver turnouts Topic Next Topic: Dangerous Diamonds  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000