Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Life-Like Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Subway Cars
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: NOW what is up with Life-Like?! Topic Next Topic: Life Like Track Cleaner  

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 29 2016 :  4:26:30 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Hello,

I have a set of four red Life-Like Subway cars.

One of trailer cars is suffering from a swollen and crumbling metlal base. The zinc alloy that it is made from is clearly impure and is expanding. Luckily the others are so far not doing the same (Yet!).

For a model that I have had for only six or seven years that is a little disappointing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do, apart that is from run the set with just three cars?

I have looked on the internet, but I can only find complete sets, for sale, just like mine (was) and they are now going for roughly twice what I paid!

A lone trailer with a dmaged body would suit me if one can be found!

Many thanks,
James

Anyone

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on November 29 2016 4:27:28 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator 

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - November 29 2016 :  5:31:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Sounds like it's suffering the dreaded Zinc Rot (or is it called Zinc Pest?). Sadly, there's not much to be done, it's essentially FUBAR. I've seen entire engines turned to half circles, due to warping as a result of Zinc Rot.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 29 2016 :  9:15:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I've seen zinc rot repaired with an epoxy application, once.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 30 2016 :  04:06:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks Guys,

I am used to seeing Mazac Fatigue on historic models, there was a spate of it in the UK on items made just before World War Two, but it disappointing to realise that it is still occuring on so called 'Qulaity' brands like the Life-Like Proto series.

I had hoped for a chassis transplant, as the body is only mildly damaged at the ends by the expansion. Luckily this is a very simple chassis, however my only hope now is that if the ends can be saved. Provididng they are still useable a new longtitudinal section could replace the bit that has bowed so horribly. Not a a five minute job!

My communters will have to get use to standing for the forseeable future!

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on November 30 2016 06:26:27 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 30 2016 :  07:11:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
If the car effected is a trailer. Remove the bad casting before it wrecks the car. Kit bash a new floor out of plastic. you can still run it then.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on November 30 2016 07:26:31 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 30 2016 :  07:19:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks Frank,

Yes I have stripped in down already. The ends are repairable.

The car has a nice strong insert that holds the circuit board, which is held in place by the four end screws through the chassis. As you say it is not impossible to create a new chassis plate and mount for the bogies.

I have written to Walthers about this as I regard this whole issue is due to a manufacturing fault, but I fear that can hear them washing thier hands of me from this side of the pond.

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on November 30 2016 07:20:34 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 30 2016 :  07:30:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Good luck James with this unexpected train project. Take your time and it will all be OK.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 30 2016 :  11:21:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I never knew LL made a subway consist. Would be great to see a
pic of this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 30 2016 :  4:00:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Chops,

This is not mine, but one very similar that is currently on E-bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HO-SCALE-LIFE-LIKE-NYC-SUBWAY-4-CAR-SET-WHITE-PLAINS-ROAD-NEW-LOTS-AVE-7-AV-EXP-/191938142842?hash=item2cb067a27a:g:AyoAAOSwvgdW3Yqc

Here is another one in the boxes. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6652-Life-Like-HO-Scale-New-York-City-Transit-Subway-Cars-1-Powered-3-Unpowered-/112216396774?hash=item1a209e53e6:g:yBcAAOSwImRYOInk

It is the Proto 1000 series, rather than the train set quality Life-Like, although I have lots of that too!

James

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 30 2016 :  4:18:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh I wants a set!
but so NOT for over $300
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 30 2016 :  4:54:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
I recall that my set cost around 100GBP when I bought it, so the price has gone up by 1/2 since then.

They are lovely to look at though and look great on my elevated track:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6652-Life-Like-HO-Scale-New-York-City-Transit-Subway-Cars-1-Powered-3-Unpowered-/112216396774?hash=item1a209e53e6:g:yBcAAOSwImRYOInk

Apologies if you have seen the video before, as I have mentioned it in other threads.

This was taken in November 2014, the last time that wretched fourth car was run......!

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on November 30 2016 4:55:22 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 15 2016 :  10:12:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Those are neat, but too rich for my poor blood! Thanks for posting.

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - February 13 2017 :  7:40:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Dear All,

I though that I would update you on progress:

I contacted Walther's about my woes and I have to say the response was amazing. Although I had dealt direct with them for other things, I had no receipt for this as it was an internet puchase from an e-bay dealer. None of this interested them. They asked for no proof of anything.

They took the issue on without quibble and were apologetic that the item was long out of stock. They did not have spare model to send or even a complete chassis as it was so long ago.

I advised them that a bare chassis casting would suit me. They duly found one and posted it to me in the UK without any fuss. It arrived a couple of day ago. As soon as I get a moment I will rebuild the car around it.

Hats off to Walther's for excellent customer care, even if the same cannot be said for the quality control on thier castings!

I remain a very satisfied customer!

James

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 14 2017 :  09:52:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
look forward to seeing it running,i have seen them over here on ebay,some prices are not so high,but not an everyday occurrence,you just got to be lucky,as not all post in the right scale,ken
vectis auctions get them in as well,i just missed this one a precision craft for £70

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: NOW what is up with Life-Like?! Topic Next Topic: Life Like Track Cleaner  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000