Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Building Wood Cars
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Chemical Blackening Topic Next Topic: should i paint it or not?  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - November 08 2016 :  12:12:22 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I'm looking to build some wood car kits by Labelle. Looking for advice. Is the wood sanded already? What's a good paint to use? And best glue and cutting tools? I'll probably brush paint it.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 08 2016 :  1:21:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Before you paint your model, be sure to seal the wood so humidity won't warp the wood! Also be sure you have plenty of rubber bands and clamps to hold parts together as the glue dries. Lastly, I recommend Testors brand wood cement because it wont warp wood.

Good Luck!!! Be sure to show us pictures of your work!!!

Scott

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 08 2016 :  5:24:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I'll be interested in watching your build as well Justin. Yeah sealing that wood will also help to keep the grain from predominating your paint scheme.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - November 08 2016 :  9:06:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Acrylic paints go onto wood nicely, and in my experience Apple Barrel and CraftSmart have been good value for 99 cents a bottle. I wouldn't use Americana acrylics, the ones I've bought have tended to be lumpy and not dry smoothly.

Wood glue or even white glue is a better bet for wood-on-wood than CA glue is. Elmers wood glue gives good results and stays strong (I have some stuff that was glued with it twenty years ago and the joins are sturdy as ever. The wood shows no sign of warping

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Chemical Blackening Topic Next Topic: should i paint it or not?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000