Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Pieces you replaced from your childhood...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: For Chops Topic Next Topic: TYCO LOT!!!!  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 24 2016 :  1:58:07 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
"This Life-Like crane is a replacement for the one I had as a kid on my layout," this
post by Walt inspires me to start this thread. As we grew up and out, many of us
lost our early trains as we moved, removed, started careers and families. Many of
us have gone back and reclaimed some of those memories. What pieces have you
replaced from days gone by?

When I was about 11, Mom took me out to the Caldor's in Easthampton, which
seemed like a jillion miles away, because they were having a sale on model trains.
What I got for my $4 was an AHM Domino Box Car. Cleaning out the attack when
I was 19, I gave it and everything else I had collected over the years to a hobby
shop in New Hampshire. I have not been able to locate the AHM version since,
but have picked up a few Model Power versions which come quite close. I did
see one AHM Domino at a train show about a 15 years ago, but at $40!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 24 2016 :  6:41:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
attic*

Am still trying to locate a unassembled 7up building I had
but still have most of what I had as a kid

minus the Lionel The Rock Island Line train set I had
do have at least 2 of the UP flatcars it came with
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 24 2016 :  10:39:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Great idea for a thread chops!

I have said many times that my layout is ALL ABOUT re-creating my childhood layout, only much larger! Other than that I have bought all the things I wished I could have bought but could not on my grass cutting/snow shoveling income as a youngster.

I have RE-purchased with in a piece or two , every train car I had in the 70s. Some Tyco, a few AHM and a few Life-Like. I have all of the building kits I had back then, plus many more.

I am not one who wants EVERY piece of HO there is. I have bought some things, then realized, that this particular piece does not fit what my layout is all about. I place those items back on ebay.

I plan to add a at least 6 inches to one 20 foot side of my table to make room to display all the train cars that I have. I don't want to have to keep any of my pieces of rolling stock in a box. I want to enjoy seeing every piece when I go to the basement or take another person down to show them.

It will never be the coolest layout, but, it is exactly what I had planned on since 1999 when I put the idea on paper...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 25 2016 :  8:33:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great memories! Someday I'll get a big enough shelf
area to display my Tyco, I agree, it doesn't set well
to have it all boxed up.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 26 2016 :  10:02:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Can not post pics of this for it is BURIED in storage But I did up grade and replace a Fleischmann Santa Fe Set The one with The Superliners and the Metal Alcos

MORE TO COME
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - July 26 2016 :  12:53:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
"This Life-Like crane is a replacement for the one I had as a kid on my layout," this
post by Walt inspires me to start this thread. As we grew up and out, many of us
lost our early trains as we moved, removed, started careers and families. Many of
us have gone back and reclaimed some of those memories. What pieces have you
replaced from days gone by?

When I was about 11, Mom took me out to the Caldor's in Easthampton, which
seemed like a jillion miles away, because they were having a sale on model trains.
What I got for my $4 was an AHM Domino Box Car. Cleaning out the attack when
I was 19, I gave it and everything else I had collected over the years to a hobby
shop in New Hampshire. I have not been able to locate the AHM version since,
but have picked up a few Model Power versions which come quite close. I did
see one AHM Domino at a train show about a 15 years ago, but at $40!

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 24 2016 :  1:58:07 PM

Rock Island Shark. I had one as a kid and absolutely loved it. It ran really well for what it was. I since have bought a replacement.

I do want to buy a replacement GIJoe train set. That was my first HO scale train.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - July 26 2016 :  8:20:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Our first Christmas train was a Tyco Trolley that I eventually destroyed using it in the dirt with my Matchbox cars. Our second train was an AHM/Pocher Genoa with the turned brass fittings that I modified as a teen modeler using Life-Like Docksider drivers to make them smaller and painted the boiler Russian blue...not a bad effort as a kid.

I picked these up over the years to fill their place...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - July 26 2016 :  9:08:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Still have my two ORIGINAL train sets, both life like
Missing the track tho
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 27 2016 :  09:35:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Still have my two ORIGINAL train sets, both life like
Missing the track tho
Originally posted by bnsfIA - July 26 2016 :  9:08:55 PM

Oh I got track up the wazoo!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 27 2016 :  3:26:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
AS DO I
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

IslandTrains
Little Six

Posted - July 27 2016 :  8:28:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add IslandTrains to Buddylist
Bought this VIA set and Layout expander system. This is what my first Tyco set consisted of. My parents bought me the expander set not long after. The locomotive runs like new and only some of the track in the expander set was used. The books and bits are all there including the insulated rail joiners that are still on the sprue.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 143  ~  Member Since: March 22 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - July 30 2016 :  7:41:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Most of my plasticville collection is a throwback to my long ago youth. I just try to improve it. I also have a couple of Kibre factory buildings I had and also a platform by a company called Hoffman. Anyone remember them? Funny thing is I never could find a place for it then and I still can't now. I would like a Varney 0-4-0 to display next to the station. It was my first HO locomotive.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 31 2016 :  11:59:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I rather enjoyed these memories. Pics? A Fleischmann Santa Fe Set? Start digging, that I have GOT to see.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 31 2016 :  8:23:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Kind of sadly, I can NOT really contribute to this thread much....since I have almost ALL of my childhood HO and O-27 trains still. There is really nothing to replace. Well, I DID burn out an old AHM B&O Centercab engine, I have yet to find it in my train collection, so that one may have been tossed...but I have another just like it except it's a GE. So I guess it has been replaced in a way. Just not exactly. Maybe one day I'll run across another B&O shell or engine like it.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: For Chops Topic Next Topic: TYCO LOT!!!!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000