Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco C630 with Frame Mounted Motor Drive
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco''s original Super 630! Topic Next Topic: Powerdrive Mike questions  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 16 2016 :  12:19:35 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
With out a doubt, Tyco's most impressive diesel locomotive model was the Alco C630, an absolutely brutish looking machine that easily dwarfed most other engines found on the HO market. Unfortunately the majority of Tyco's C630 locomotives were equipped with the infamous "Power Torque" drive system and decorated with fanciful "Vampire" style truck side frames making these models relatively useless to most serious model railroaders. However for a short period of time at the very beginning of C630 production, Tyco did sell a version of their C630 that had both a frame mounted motor and realistic Alco "Trimount" style trucks. These models were produced by a European model train manufacturer (possibly Rivarossi or Mehano) and their version of this locomotive stands a breed apart from all other C630 units Tyco sold over the years.

Needless to say, these European style models are hard to come by, so when one appeared on eBay recently I jumped at the chance to get one of these beasts for my own collection. The bidding was fierce but in the end I finally acquired my first Tyco C630 with the European drive!

For those of you who have never seen one of these rare engines up close and personal I took the following pictures of this model as I disassembled it for cleaning and lubrication...

Model came complete with a box, but alas no instructions.

First look at the model out of the box, note the Trimount trucks with the off center middle axle. The side frames have great relief detail too!

To disassemble this model, the first step is to remove the pilot pieces, this will allow the shell to come off the frame without fouling the truck mounted coupler pockets. I broke one of the clips that attach to the bottoms of the side ladders, I ended up removing these bottom clips because they are fragile, unrealistic looking, and redundant.

This is the interior of the shell, notice the tape just behind the cab, this keeps heat from the centrally mounted light bulb from damaging the shell. Light from the bulb is transferred to the front and rear number boards and headlights by clear plastic "ducts" mounted inside the top of the shell. (Think of it as "poor man's" fiber optic).

This is the European mechanism, note:
1. The motor sits inside the cab
2. The main drive shaft runs from the motor to a central gear tower mounted over the fuel tank
3. The light bulb mounted on an inverted L bracket between the motor and central gear tower.

This is the underside of the model, note the bottom of the central gear tower and the universals extending to both the front and rear trucks!

To access the truck universals, gently remove the fuel tank weight, Note the orange paint flakes from the pilot pieces.

To remove the front truck first remove the motor, this is done by simply removing two screws on the motor mounting bracket. Once the motor is removed, the "truck bolster plugs" are revealed...

The Truck bolster plug on the rear truck is unobstructed and easy to access. To detach the trucks from the frame, gently "pinch" the truck bolster plug tabs together to allow the assembly to slide out of the chassis.

To make disassembly easier, I cut the wire leads to each truck to free them from the chassis, when I reassemble the mechanism I will install quick disconnect plugs to make maintenance easier. Also note that when you remove the trucks, be careful not to damage the plastic pegs on the back of the truck side frames...

The truck side frames are attached to the truck by pegs that snap into clips mounted on the truck's bottom cover plate, to remove the side frames, gently push the side frames up while prying apart the clips.

This is the truck's bottom cover plate, it is held in place by two clips, one on each end of the truck. Caked on grease on this part must be removed before re-lubrication.

With the truck's bottom cover plate removed, the axles, truck drive shaft, worm gears, axle gears, and power pick up shoes are revealed. Note that the center axle is just an idler making this locomotive only a four axle drive unit. (Still better than the three axle drive on a "Power Torque")

With the truck's bottom cover plate removed, remove all moving parts and clean them with a plastic safe electronics cleaner. When all the old grease is removed, relubricate with fresh grease and oil the bearings (Caution, do not over lubricate the mechanism, a little goes a long way). Once you are done, reassemble the trucks but make sure the wheels are oriented properly!

This picture shows the phosphor bronze plate which electrically connects the trucks to the motor, to making servicing this model easier, I installed new truck wire leads with quick disconnect plugs. Attach the new wire to the phosphor bronze clip with a dab of solder. The new wire I used was of a larger gauge than the original wiring so I had to thread the new wire through the truck bolster plugs first before soldering the new wire to the phosphor bronze clip.

If you choose to install electrical plugs to your truck wire leads, be sure to use enough wire to allow the plugs to be curled up and tucked away one the frame. Note: These wire plugs can be found at hobby stores that stock RC car parts.

I also replaced the original "horn hook X2F" style couplers with Life Like knuckle replacements that plug right into the original draft gear pockets.

This is a photo of the reassembled mechanism, note how the truck power leads are curled and tucked into place to keep the new disconnect plugs from getting in the way of reassembly. Also note that I did not take apart the central gear tower because I could not find a way to extract it from the frame. If anyone has any experience removing this part without breaking the frame, please let me know!!

Here is my new C630 on my layout, she runs a bit stiff but with some operating time it should break in.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on June 17 2016 10:48:32 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 16 2016 :  08:44:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
They are great pictures of the Rivarossi drive.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - June 16 2016 :  09:44:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
You say Mehano, but mine says Rivarossi on motor.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 16 2016 :  5:20:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
You say Mehano, but mine says Rivarossi on motor.

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - June 16 2016 :  09:44:51 AM

I thought Mehano produced these models with parts supplied by Tyco and Rivrossi (note that other parts of this model are stamped "Made in Hong Kong by Tyco"). However, to be as accurate in my description as possible and because I can't find firm verification of who exactly made these models, I will now refer to these C630 models as the "European version with frame mounted motor".

Edited by - Srenchin on June 16 2016 6:46:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 17 2016 :  11:07:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
That is a neat engine, I've never seen one before. Even better are all the close-up photos you took documenting it for us. I've "borrowed" the photos for my own library now, much appreciated! Will have to keep an eye out for one of these locally, never know if one will pop up or not. Especially at my train shop, anything can come through.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 17 2016 :  6:27:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh I'd totally have you do this to MY locos
Starting with the Prez Seal 76 Tyco loco I paid $10 for hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 17 2016 :  10:27:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
That is a neat engine, I've never seen one before. Even better are all the close-up photos you took documenting it for us. I've "borrowed" the photos for my own library now, much appreciated! Will have to keep an eye out for one of these locally, never know if one will pop up or not. Especially at my train shop, anything can come through.

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - June 17 2016 :  11:07:10 AM

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed my post, I bought this model specifically for the purpose of photo documenting the mechanism, showing how it works, and what to expect if you have to take one apart. It is my hope that my posts will aid others who enjoy this hobby.

Edited by - Srenchin on June 17 2016 11:17:26 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - June 18 2016 :  09:44:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Srenchin, I would never take one of TYCO locomotives apart, I guess because I don't run them on my layout; but since you did have you noticed an improved performance?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 18 2016 :  11:00:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Srenchin, I would never take one of TYCO locomotives apart, I guess because I don't run them on my layout; but since you did have you noticed an improved performance?

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - June 18 2016 :  09:44:54 AM

When it comes to running old used locomotives, I make it a point to thoroughly clean the mechanism of old grease before attempting to operate them. Since I did not run the unit before disassembling it I missed the chance to see if its performance improved. I am tempted to make another attempt at opening up the central gear tower to clean the old grease out of it, if I do I will report on any noticeable change in performance.

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 19 2016 :  11:38:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Well, I decided to take another crack at removing the central gear tower and this time succeeded. For those of you who have or someday will have one of these models I must warn you that this component was clearly not designed to be easily removed for easy maintenance. I was able to remove my gear tower by using thin wood shims to gently wedge the plastic frame open and a screw driver to gently lever out the assembly out of its seat on the frame. Once you remove the gear tower it looks like this...

To disassemble the gear tower you simply pull off the universal couplings off their shafts....

and then the whole assembly will easily come apart...

Once I had my gear tower open, I cleaned out the old lube and replaced it with fresh grease on the gears and oil on the bearings. I did find a little "flash" from the gear housing casting that could present a problem if it broke off and fell into the gears, this was easily fixed by chiseling out the excess material with a screw driver.

The metal flash is visible below the middle bearing hole in the above picture. Once the gear housing is cleaned and relubricated, the whole assembly can be simply snapped back together and pushed back into the frame.

Edited by - Srenchin on June 21 2016 10:22:27 PM

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - December 13 2020 :  8:21:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
oh my gosh I just saw one of these on ebay sealed in its original box and not knowing how rare it was I didn't buy it and within a matter of minutes it sold!

Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on December 13 2020 8:22:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - December 13 2020 :  8:44:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
quote:
oh my gosh I just saw one of these sealed in its original box and not knowing how rare it was I didn't buy it!

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - December 13 2020 :  8:21:06 PM

Guess who did just buy it...

I think with shipping it was right at fifty bucks. I've waited over a year for one of these, and my patience has payed off. As a Tyco Collector, I cannot justify unsealing this unit, other than what's shown here. I don't imagine there's too many like it, so I wish to preserve it.

Aaron Anderson
Edited by - A-A-RON on December 13 2020 8:58:34 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - December 13 2020 :  9:21:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
AWESOME! I was hoping that someone on the tyco forum would buy it!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 13 2020 :  10:35:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Congratulations!! That is a rare score indeed.

But, if I were you, I would most definitely run it, at least once.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 14 2020 :  12:05:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Model trains are for running!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - December 14 2020 :  1:02:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
I'll think about it. It is really nice though, and I don't want to ruin it.
Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 03 2021 :  09:28:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Made a video about my ICG C630 w. Rivarossi-like drive....but this thread is WAY more informative. That is why I called it a "basic" review.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mushytitan
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - May 18 2022 :  9:12:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mushytitan to Buddylist
Hey guys! I recently bought a lot of locos off eBay for parts and repair, long story short, I stumbled across this thread of a loco that looks just like one I am working on. I had no idea it was as rare as you said! With that new information I certainly do not want to mess anything up, I am rather new to the hobby. My question is, today I was able to give the motor some power and it is very loud. Any tips on ways to get that quieter? Almost too loud to run in my opinion. Thank you!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: May 18 2022  ~  Last Visit: January 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 19 2022 :  12:17:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Hey guys! I recently bought a lot of locos off eBay for parts and repair, long story short, I stumbled across this thread of a loco that looks just like one I am working on. I had no idea it was as rare as you said! With that new information I certainly do not want to mess anything up, I am rather new to the hobby. My question is, today I was able to give the motor some power and it is very loud. Any tips on ways to get that quieter? Almost too loud to run in my opinion. Thank you!

Originally posted by Mushytitan - May 18 2022 :  9:12:38 PM

Can you post some pictures of your locomotive? I suspect it needs to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, grease can harden with age and could cause all kinds of problems. Just be sure to use a "plastic safe electronics cleaner" for this job. Napa Auto Parts sells a cleaner in a spray can that works well for cleaning mechanisms. Good Luck.

Mushytitan
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - May 19 2022 :  12:14:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mushytitan to Buddylist
quote:

Can you post some pictures of your locomotive? I suspect it needs to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, grease can harden with age and could cause all kinds of problems. Just be sure to use a "plastic safe electronics cleaner" for this job. Napa Auto Parts sells a cleaner in a spray can that works well for cleaning mechanisms. Good Luck.

Originally posted by Srenchin - May 19 2022 :  12:17:45 AM

I sure can! The only parts I am missing are the drive-trains that come out from the center of the loco. Hoping I find some at a show that is coming up in June.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: May 18 2022  ~  Last Visit: January 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Rockville
Switcher

RevellAvatar

Posted - May 20 2022 :  05:48:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Rockville to Buddylist
quote:

I sure can! The only parts I am missing are the drive-trains that come out from the center of the loco. Hoping I find some at a show that is coming up in
Originally posted by Mushytitan - May 19 2022 :  12:14:15 PM

Make sure the gears aren't cracked either and you can use silicone hoses for drive shafts.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 15  ~  Member Since: March 21 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Rockville
Switcher

RevellAvatar

Posted - May 20 2022 :  05:50:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Rockville to Buddylist
Guess who did just buy it...

Originally posted by A-A-RON - December 13 2020 :  8:44:21 PM

[/quote]
Is that shrink wrapped?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 15  ~  Member Since: March 21 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 19 2024 :  12:18:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist

Previous Topic: Tyco''s original Super 630! Topic Next Topic: Powerdrive Mike questions  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000