Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Slice of Woodbury NJ
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Dream meets Topic Next Topic: This is what I like about this stuff.  

scmich
Little Six

Posted - May 16 2007 :  10:34:13 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
Finally... The display was done a couple of months ago, but getting photos and being crazy busy at work for two months, things didn't get posted here as soon as I had hoped.

At the time of the photos I had a couple of "stand-ins" as some ebay items hadn't been received. But shortly after the pictures were taken I got a FEC Spirit of 76 caboose, an all white lettered El Capitan, and a white roof ICG caboose. So there are no duplicates onthe final display.

Thank you to everyone on this site that contributes the very helpful and interesting info that made this a fun project for me.

If anyone would like a detail inventory of what you are looking at, just PM me. I have a shelf by shelf listing with catalog #'s in an Excel spreadsheet. I can email it to you if you would like. Otherwise, I just thought I would share what I had been working on in my spare time over the years.

scmich
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 120  ~  Member Since: October 26 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - May 16 2007 :  11:02:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Words don't do it justice!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

[:P]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NDW5332
Switcher

Notre Dame & Western

Posted - May 16 2007 :  2:00:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NDW5332 to Buddylist
That looks so cool...

How did you make all of those shelves? Were they something you came up with yourself or were they pre-fab?

As much as I would eventually like to do something like that, my wife would never let me...

stan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 29  ~  Member Since: May 01 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 22 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - May 16 2007 :  2:39:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
The shelves are pre-fab. I had to paint and drill holes to match the stud locations. They come in 6 ft lengths. Search the web for Glenn Snyder Displays. You can email him glenn@gsds.com.

After the pictures were taken I put 1/4" Lexan up to protect the display. It is in a double track system at the top and bottom.

scmich

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 120  ~  Member Since: October 26 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - May 16 2007 :  4:08:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist

I love it!!!! Nice collection. I will be looking the guy with the shelves up very soon.

Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 16 2007 :  5:31:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That looks awesome!![:D] It's amazing how many sets of cars you have. Thats a set of ACL streamliners on the top shelf with the A and B unit right?

-cheez

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - May 16 2007 :  6:44:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
That looks GREAT, sir. Glad to see everything filled in nicely.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - May 16 2007 :  7:29:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
AWESOME WORK! You could probably charge admission for people to come and gaze.

I'm very glad I was able to help you nail a few pieces down. Top-notch work! With some room to grow too ;)

Congratulations and thanks again for sharing!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

sdiver101
Switcher

Posted - May 17 2007 :  08:03:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add sdiver101 to Buddylist
Impressive, I thought i was the obessive one...lol How does the wife feel about the decor....

Neil
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 73  ~  Member Since: September 11 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 05 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - May 17 2007 :  09:04:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
Cheez - yes that is the ACL in all its purple glory on the top. I got it mint, never ou of the box. Probably paid to much for it, but it ended up being my Xmas present from my wife this year. That was all I got though....

Diver - The wife agreed years ago that this would be my room to doecorate. It was only fair since I devoted 4 months of my life to finishing the downstairs when we were surprised a few years ago to find out we were expecting our third child. (needed to make an extra bedroom and family room) She actually kinda likes it, I think even more than she lets on.

scott
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 120  ~  Member Since: October 26 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Steel Hauler
Switcher

Steel Hauler

Posted - May 17 2007 :  4:23:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Steel Hauler to Buddylist
Truly awesome!!! Your display adds value to your home. (Don't let your city know or your taxes will go up!)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 38  ~  Member Since: November 19 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 19 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - May 17 2007 :  5:49:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I think Architectural Digest should be contacted. Truly Awesome! I've gone back and looked at this about a dozen times since you put up these pictures!

[:D]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 17 2007 :  6:06:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
[:(]sniff...n-n-n-no GG1s?...not even one?....sniff[:(]

Nice clean setup...Like you I'm blessed with a beloved who allows for the "monster" rack...in my case one wall. So there's Lexan over the whole thing now, like a patio door slider?
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - May 17 2007 :  7:29:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
Yep 1/4" Lexan. I was blessed that a company I deal with at work owed me some favors, so they bought 3 sheets of 4' x 8' and cut it in their shop to my specifications. Otherwise it would have been pricey for me to finish this. Let's just say the walls were my original construction, and I am not a carpenter, so nothing was in square. To make it manageable the long wall has two 3' lengths and one 6' length of lexan. The shorter wall has two 4' sections of glass. They can pass by each other since there are two tracks like a patio door. They are heavy, so the kids can't really move them though.

I was a little nervous about the lexan, but it looks reaaly nice...like glass.

I will post some close ups my brother-in -law took when I get back to my work computer. I have to convert them to post, as the digital files he sent me are really large. (Hi - resolution stuff) It took me a while to figure out how to get them to post them here. Everything was originally too large.

Scott

scmich
Little Six

Posted - May 17 2007 :  7:30:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
Yep 1/4" Lexan. I was blessed that a company I deal with at work owed me some favors, so they bought 3 sheets of 4' x 8' and cut it in their shop to my specifications. Otherwise it would have been pricey for me to finish this. Let's just say the walls were my original construction, and I am not a carpenter, so nothing was in square. To make it manageable the long wall has two 3' lengths and one 6' length of lexan. The shorter wall has two 4' sections of glass. They can pass by each other since there are two tracks like a patio door. They are heavy, so the kids can't really move them though.

I was a little nervous about the lexan, but it looks reaaly nice...like glass.

I will post some close ups my brother-in -law took when I get back to my work computer. I have to convert them to post, as the digital files he sent me are really large. (Hi - resolution stuff) It took me a while to figure out how to get them to post them here. Everything was originally too large.

Scott

detroitterminal
Switcher

Posted - May 18 2007 :  12:13:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add detroitterminal to Buddylist
Congratulations! For both accumulating the collection and the hard work in designing/building the display.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 81  ~  Member Since: March 14 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - May 18 2007 :  01:19:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Nice collection and display.
I'd love to be able to display some of my collection like that.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LoopnHook
Big Six

Crusader

Posted - May 18 2007 :  8:06:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LoopnHook to Buddylist
Scott,

A very impressive display! You may not be a carpenter but the result looks like a first class job! I showed your pics to Madame Queen, and said “Please”… while down on my knees… “can I do that?” She said, “No!” …again. My complements to your Lady for allowing you to indulge.

Loopy

Loopy

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: October 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - May 19 2007 :  02:51:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
...[V] you have an ALCO Century in 1776 RWB Presidential with handrailing...
Perchance, did you get this as a figure 8 set from Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes... the "Tony The Tiger" cereal in 1976?
Came with
50' New Haven plug door box,
40' Virginian coal hopper,
40' Shell tanker,
50' Frisco auto rack (6 autos),
40' ATSF TOFC w/loading dock and truck,
SLSF matching caboose...[:(] ......I was 8 got it for Christmas 1976... all was right with the world............. my first lvoe, my first electric train-set... I slept good that night...

oh, sorry... had a flash-back... left lock open on the turn-out...

ZZZzzz[;)]

John

ps... nice trains... bless you.

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on May 19 2007 02:54:29 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - May 19 2007 :  09:40:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
Zeb - The Alco 1776 was an ebay pickup. Buy it now for $9.95 if I remember. Decals aren't to sharp though. I have an Alco 430 in the RWB, and considered swapping it out with the 630. The 430 is the only non-duplicate piece I have leftover that I couldn't decide how to fit it in.

I nearly went insane trying to group catalog numbers but also making it fit the fixed shelf lengths (12ft and 8ft). I wanted to fill the shelves as much as possible without sticking something that was completely different from everything else on that particular shelf. I had taken measurements of each type of car, and used a spreadsheet to re-arrange them in the virtual world. Once I was done on paper, I just unpacked them and put them where the sheet told me. (after about a thousand tries on the spreadsheet)

Loopy - tell your wife to think of it as 3-D wallpaper

Scott

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - May 22 2007 :  12:15:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Hey scmich,

You have an actual Commemorative set as I see every car from this set, included on your shelf system. I haven't seen the set in its entirety since 1976/1977... and, I do not have the "set number" either. But you can trust that you own it.
The other "Spirit of '76" cars came out in early 1976. The following set I listed, came as one unit.

ALCO Century in 1776 RWB Presidential with handrailing...
50' New Haven plug door box,
40' Virginian coal hopper,
40' Shell tanker,
50' Frisco auto rack (6 autos),
40' ATSF TOFC w/loading dock and truck,
SLSF matching caboose...

True, you'd think that the S.O. '76 cars would have been in a set with the Super C630, as the Canadiana did (with the 430), with it's Provincial and Territory cars, in 1967. [xx(]

Anyway, again, nice, uh... 3-D wall paper!

John

"I love your catenary!"

Edited by - zebrails on May 22 2007 11:37:03 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - May 22 2007 :  1:41:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
Did tyco do a commemerative set for Canada? I have the Canadiana boxcar and have seen the Alco 430 and caboose which I like very much, but had never seen any other cars like the statehood for US. I would be very interested in seeing photos or catalog shots of anything like that by Tyco fo Canada.

Scott

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - May 22 2007 :  4:45:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
...as the Canadiana did (with the 430), with it's Provincial and Territory cars, in 1967.
Originally posted by zebrails - May 22 2007 : 12:15:43 AM

Yes yes, do tell us more! 1967?

The only all-Canada commemorative set I know of is the one Lionel did in the 1970's. It was a huge set, all 50' boxcars painted (rather plainly in white and red) for each territory.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - May 22 2007 :  11:35:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Canadiana... Tyco, yes.
Hmmm... Lionel... y'know, I remember someone bringing the entire set to our 12 X 24 foot display...
it was Lionel. January 2005, the first air breathed by this set and I got to run it in its entirety... yeah, not the greatest running Lionel locomotive even for its maiden 2005 voyage around our layout.

Now, TYCO... perhaps I was thinking about the Lionel set...
I have the Canadiana Alco 430... uh oh. [B)]
DaCheeze?

Well, what I do know is I used to have the 1776/1976 train set, albeit back in 1976-1977.
[Oops!]
[:0]

put me on a shoe and call heel! I feel lower than fresh laid asphalt.

Someone's gotta know the correct answer since my faux pas~ sorry.

blub, blub... blub... Z z z

"I love your catenary!"

Edited by - zebrails on May 22 2007 11:41:14 PM

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - May 27 2007 :  12:39:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
After viewing this post about 5 times now I can respond.

That's an awesome room!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - February 19 2009 :  4:31:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
Just checking in after about a year away from the site. No ebaying or any train related stuff going on for me lately, but glad to see my pictures still live on in the cyber world of this forum. Hope all is well for everyone still on board. Looks like membership is still going strong. This really is a great sight, with some great folks that are a wealth of info.

Scott

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 19 2009 :  4:40:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi scmich,i missed this but its truly awesome the way these were meant to be,for all to see not in boxes,but where they can be seen,i would give an arm and leg to have a display like that well done and thanks for letting us see it ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - February 21 2009 :  2:50:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Nice to hear from you again Scott... I was actually wondering whatever happened to you not to long ago. Hope all is well for you! And that display always looks impressive.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 27 2009 :  6:00:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oooo I jealous Think I'll do this when I get another house to live in but all mine will hold is billboard/ad carz
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 13 2021 :  9:17:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Finally... The display was done a couple of months ago, but getting photos and being crazy busy at work for two months, things didn't get posted here as soon as I had hoped.

At the time of the photos I had a couple of "stand-ins" as some ebay items hadn't been received. But shortly after the pictures were taken I got a FEC Spirit of 76 caboose, an all white lettered El Capitan, and a white roof ICG caboose. So there are no duplicates onthe final display.

Thank you to everyone on this site that contributes the very helpful and interesting info that made this a fun project for me.

If anyone would like a detail inventory of what you are looking at, just PM me. I have a shelf by shelf listing with catalog #'s in an Excel spreadsheet. I can email it to you if you would like. Otherwise, I just thought I would share what I had been working on in my spare time over the years.

scmich

Originally posted by scmich - May 16 2007 :  10:34:13 AM

Great addition for your den. Or is it for your living room?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5870  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Dream meets Topic Next Topic: This is what I like about this stuff.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000