Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Accessory of the week. (AOTW)
 AOTW Dec. 13 to 19 2015.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: AOTW Dec. 25 - Jan. 2, 2016 Topic Next Topic: AOTW December 6 - 12, 2015  

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 16 2015 :  04:18:36 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The Marx HO trainset power pack for train sets.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 16 2015 :  6:25:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks pretty clean Frank. How does it work? I've been thinking about adding a transformer and wondering if some of them might have more guts and a better rheostat than some of the newer ones?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 16 2015 :  8:51:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Barry the pack works fine. I keep it with one of my Marx sets.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 16 2015 :  11:22:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I've been thinking about adding a transformer and wondering if some of them might have more guts and a better rheostat than some of the newer ones?
Originally posted by Barry - December 16 2015 :  6:25:22 PM

Many of the new power packs are transistor throttles. Because you have no hills and don't seem to do double headers, they're probably pretty safe on your layout. I have obscenely steep grades and big old open frame motors and have toasted a couple of transistor throttles. I still use one in the yard, where it's nice and flat, but on the mainline, I use the old rheostat throttles from Model Rectifier Corp.

MRC made power packs with a lever on the side and ones with a knob that turns about 300 degrees. The ones with a knob have very substantial rheostats that would be hard to kill. That's what I use.

With high current draw motors like the ones on Mantua steamers or blue box Athearn diesels, rheostat throttles work well. They do a poor job controlling a low-draw motor such as you find in a Rivarossi or IHC engine. This can be remedied by wiring an automotive tail light bulb in parallel to the train. I have one wired in with a switch so I can turn it off for high-draw motors and on for low-draw motors.

Some of the power packs come with a switch labeled "pulse" that helps with slow speed movements such as coupling or spotting a car in a very specific place. I use this feature in switching.

Simple question, complicated answer: it's what I do.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: AOTW Dec. 25 - Jan. 2, 2016 Topic Next Topic: AOTW December 6 - 12, 2015  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000