Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 47 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco Smoking Steam Locos Questions
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Zinc pest in Tyco PT motors Topic Next Topic: SOMEBODY''S FP45!! (maybe TYCO?)  

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - October 28 2015 :  2:55:37 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
I hope this is the right section to post this in, it didn't really fit into the Fix it tips area and this was the only forum dedicated to tyco/Mantua steam trains.

I have a Chattanooga cho cho with smoke, it came with the funnel, instructions and even a bottle of tyco original smoke. I'm making repairs to it, trying to get it working again and i have some questions:

1) what type of smoke fluid is compatible?
i researched online but it is very confusing as to if Tyco used petroleum based smoke fluid or not. I have read the smoke fluid reacts with the plastic and makes it brittle. I bought a bottle of Bachmann Smoke fluid in the meantime but i have not used it yet, since the locomotive is not functional yet.

2) most of the smokers i have read about suffer from failure of the smoke unit. Since the fluid acts partially as a coolant for the smoker unit and the smoker is on all the time that the train is running; If it runs out of smoke fluid or you run the locomotive for a long period of time without adding fluid i assume it would ruin the smoke unit or reduce its life span. Would installing a switch to select operation of the smoker unit be a good idea?

3) is there a method of cleaning out the smoking unit on the repair bench to remove build up and prolong life expectancy?

4) how many drops of smoke fluid is recommended per fill up?
( i read somewhere 15 drops?)

5) what is the run time approximately of the smoker unit when filled up?
(i read somewhere about 8 minutes and to wait for the smoke to suddenly get more dense before it runs out.)

Thank you for you help
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 50  ~  Member Since: October 28 2015  ~  Last Visit: December 07 2020 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 28 2015 :  7:25:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
You don't fill a smoke unit with fluid. It wont smoke. Just a small drop. If you run your trains in a small room, and your loco makes a lot of smoke. You'll have to leave the room.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 28 2015 :  11:53:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
I have the same loco and have found some good smoke oil on evilbay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=19128&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmega-steam.TRS0&_nkw=mega+steam&_sacat=19128

It comes in a variety of scents (even scents for the holidays) and they make an Eliminator Fluid(removes the
previous scent so that you can put in a different one) and a Cleaner fluid.

I have the Fireplace scent and it smells just like wood burning in the fireplace.

I hope this helps.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - October 29 2015 :  12:16:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
I saw those on ebay and wasn't sure, how much do you usually put into the bell?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 50  ~  Member Since: October 28 2015  ~  Last Visit: December 07 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 29 2015 :  01:24:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Normally only 2-3 drops. That usually keeps it smoking for a while.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - October 31 2015 :  01:20:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
Well got the loco going again tonight. The power torque needed tlc and the linkage needed to be freed up for the front part of the engine.

Discovered the choo choo does not like slot car crossing track at all.

The cap for the smoker (bell) was stuck hard in the shell. Finally got it out and it was all gunked up inside. The oil that came with the loco was never opened so I cut the bottle open and put 4 drops Into the tank. I actually found the original instructions. Well I let the loco warm up and had issues keeping it running, it managed to start smoking a little , but then kind of stopped. I could smell the oil cooking but nothing really puffed out, it might be all clogged up inside Maybe tyco tested these before boxing them but there is defiantly gunk inside.

So I ordered smoke cleaner from ebay along with new smoke as recommended. I'll try to get it running better and run the cleaner a few times and see if it frees something up.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 50  ~  Member Since: October 28 2015  ~  Last Visit: December 07 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 31 2015 :  5:01:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
If you need help getting the smoke unit going again, let me know. I had to
rebuild mine to get it running. I used lighter fluid to clean mine out when it
was apart. The "gunk" you found was probably smoke oil put in by the
previous owner. You can't let that stuff sit for long periods of time or
it will do just like oil and grease does.

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - November 01 2015 :  12:48:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
will be in contact, it puffed a couple of times for a second i thought it was gonna get going but it fizzed.
the loco seems to have the incorrect traction tires installed on it. they are high on the traction side and causing running problems. i hope to get the right ones installed and do some more clean up then try out that smoke unit cleaner and see how it goes.

worst case i will need to get into the front part and take it apart for a cleaning and could use your expertise :D

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - November 01 2015 :  09:17:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
As regards to your #2 question, yes, installing a switch to turn off the power to the heating element would definitely help. Most modern O gauge loco's have that option now, as you don't always want to run smoke, for asthmatic people or for other reasons ( like the constant hassle of putting in drops of oil now and then ), it would be a good idea to install a switch to cut off power to the element.

Jerry, train repair guy, Virginia, USA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - November 03 2015 :  10:00:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
Ok i cracked open the loco and got to the smoker element.

i understand how it works. the element was fine.

i unpacked the cotton yarn with the heat shield cover and took it to the sink to soak. i washed out the cavities and made sure nothing was clogged in the plastic cover that holds the bellows piston.

so the way it works is you have 2 cavities, packed with the same piece of cotton yarn that runs over a divider, you fill up the rear cavity with the smoking fluid and that is suppose to wick up to the front cavity where the heat element is.
the yarn was basically burnt up so it was impossible to wick anything into the element. i washed it out in the sink with soap and water, and picked off the burnt pieces. rinsed it out a few times and wrung it out being careful not to rip it. I didn't have any cotton yarn to try and replace it with.

basically if you run the loco dry you burn up the wick inside.

well i put it back together using cellophane tape like original and i used some Shoe Goo for the plastic cover to hold it to the die-cast weight and smoker reservoir. made sure the bellows was free and a little oil and put it back together resoldering the connections.

Well big improvement, it isn't bellowing out like a cloud around the loco but you can see it now puffing away out the stack now.

I'm using the smoker cleaner from mega steam, there was an improvement as i let the loco run for like 40 minutes.

i'll keep using it the next few days and see what happens.

i have to get some new yarn if i do it again or maybe lantern wick.

oldtimer52 if you have some tips to pass let me know i can see getting another junk loco and trying to repair it in the future.

Edited by - slotcardan on November 03 2015 10:01:39 PM

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - November 04 2015 :  3:58:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Instead of getting lantern wicking, try candle wicking from a hobby store.
It's thinner and easier to use in the small area you have in the smoke
unit. It is also a lot cheaper.

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - November 04 2015 :  4:19:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
i saw some at Michelle's for making candles i'll grab some. I got a spare cho cho with a junk motor housing, so i'll rebuild the smoker in the front unit. i tested the element and it works can see it glowing down the stack.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 04 2015 :  10:47:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you know you got TOO many steam locos when....
the air in your basement is filled with smoke & your smoke alarm goes off lots
but you love running steam trains!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - November 04 2015 :  11:48:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
and you cough, its totally worth it
https://youtu.be/GbRGa5zjNE8

Edited by - slotcardan on November 05 2015 12:14:55 AM

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - November 05 2015 :  12:01:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Make sure you pack the wicking back into the unit the same way it is now
to make sure the heating element contacts the oil.

Micro:

You know you have too many smoking locos when you open the
window to let out the smoke, and the fire department shows up.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 05 2015 :  12:49:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Micro:

You know you have too many smoking locos when you open the
window to let out the smoke, and the fire department shows up.

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - November 05 2015 :  12:01:34 AM

TRUE!!
or
you know you have too many locos & factories that smoke when...
your train room is a health hazard & causes smog
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - November 07 2015 :  10:06:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Zinc pest in Tyco PT motors Topic Next Topic: SOMEBODY''S FP45!! (maybe TYCO?)  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000