Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 23 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 Lionel HO 4-6-2 Restoration
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW Nov 26th - Dec 2nd , 2017 Topic Next Topic: LOTW: Nov. 19th - Nov. 25th  

ChoChoKen
Switcher

Posted - July 06 2015 :  07:45:13 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ChoChoKen to Buddylist
Not sure what I have. It has a puffer piston on the right side to push air for smoke. Can some one identify the loco and tender. Maybe help find parts. I would like to restore it with smoke and dcc. A picture of it new would be helpful. Or a parts list so I can identify missing parts. I have a picture of what I have to start. Any help would be appreciated. ken@knr.net Thanks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: July 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator 

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - July 06 2015 :  09:26:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Hi Ken, a good place for pictures and such is the website;

Hoseeker.net

The current draw by the older motors in these things can be a deterrent to DCC conversion.

Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - July 06 2015 :  11:33:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Lionel 0636 LTS.
* Doesn't anybody use the information here on this site already. Lionel HO, post 10. You need a trailing truck and a tender.

Originally posted by toptrain - July 06 2015 :  11:06:50 AM

Frank, I have found the search feature on this site to be no help whatsoever. A few months ago I was searching for GIC's thread on re-powering a Tyco Shark. Could not find it with the search feature, even by entering obvious search parameters. Someone else had to show me where it was. If there is a trick to using search here to find something I'm listening!

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 06 2015 :  1:18:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Ken, that looks like it could be a fun project, and one that will keep you busy a spell huntin' information and parts. I second the motion on www.hoseeker.net . Also, just typing the Lionel engine specifics in Google should come up with images. Please post the pictures of your project as it progresses. Looks like the potential for a neat looking smokin' locomotive.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 06 2015 :  7:42:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
That is a late '50's, early 60's Lionel HO, I was repairing a 635 around Christmas for a gentleman at my LHS. Parts are hard to come by for these very old HO steam engines. Lionel doesn't carry them anymore, but the parts list is out there. I did find it for the 635. These Lionel take special electric motors, you won't find them easily if it needs to be replaced. But you might can buy a parts loco to fix yours. Combine the two. Good luck with your project.

Jerry in Va, repair tech

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 06 2015 :  8:54:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
If it is a 0636 it is late sixties

I MAY have some parts for this but can not be definite as to I do not even know what I have

Lionel HO Parts are hard to find and when the come up for sale on net

THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!!

if you have local shows you might get lucky

I may HAVE a schematic of the loco it may take me time to find as I stated do not know what I have and where the hell it is

BUT If I find it will let you know

Also not ure about DCC Maybe in the tender?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - July 06 2015 :  9:31:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
The 0636LTS was cataloged from 1963 to 1966. Like the 0625, 0626, 0635, 0637, 0645, 0646 and 0647 , the 0636 was a very poor runner when it was new. It has collector value as a display piece.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - July 06 2015 :  10:37:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
quote:

Frank, I have found the search feature on this site to be no help whatsoever. A few months ago I was searching for GIC's thread on re-powering a Tyco Shark. Could not find it with the search feature, even by entering obvious search parameters. Someone else had to show me where it was. If there is a trick to using search here to find something I'm listening!

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - July 06 2015 :  11:33:41 AM

I was looking for Shark info the other day as well, and it didn't seem like the search was very friendly. I eventually found it, though.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChoChoKen
Switcher

Posted - August 26 2015 :  04:21:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChoChoKen to Buddylist
thanks all. I have it working dcc with smoke. need rear truck. any pix of one would be helpful. anybody get into 3d printing for parts?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: July 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChoChoKen
Switcher

Posted - August 26 2015 :  04:36:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChoChoKen to Buddylist
thanks for the help. a photo would help. Wouldn't this be called a 4-6-2? What is a 0636? Is there a marking? Anybody do 3d printing for parts? I have the tender and all I need is the trailing truck. It is working with smoke and dcc.

quote:
If it is a 0636 it is late sixties

I MAY have some parts for this but can not be definite as to I do not even know what I have

Lionel HO Parts are hard to find and when the come up for sale on net

THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!!

if you have local shows you might get lucky

I may HAVE a schematic of the loco it may take me time to find as I stated do not know what I have and where the hell it is

BUT If I find it will let you know

Also not ure about DCC Maybe in the tender?

Originally posted by thesiding - July 06 2015 :  8:54:05 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: July 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 26 2015 :  07:41:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Lionel got the dies for this loco from the John English company. The trailing truck is the same on the English Pacific and Mikado. So were the tenders, just English tenders were die cast. Lionel plastic. All Lionel tenders were the same on all the pacifics except the top of the line with the whistle. I do think that somewhere I have a trailing truck for it. The tender I don't know if I have one. I'll look later one. The old man will be very busy today.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 27 2015 :  9:26:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
thanks all.. anybody get into 3d printing for parts?

Originally posted by ChoChoKen - August 26 2015 :  04:21:44 AM

What I heard recently about 3D printing ( for plastics ) is that the plastic used is not very durable. it might make a good mantle show piece, but anything made out of the plastic a 3D printer could use would not hold up in actual use. It's probably a softer plastic that melts easily. In other words, many plastics are injection-molded, and they're tougher because they're high heat-formed, while 3D uses heat, it's not a super hot heat, so it can't do much tougher plastics, I imagine. I don't know much about the process yet, but suspect that while it might be great for a static car or airplane model, trying to make an actual usable propeller out of it would be a waste of time, as the material couldn't handle the stress. I suspect the same would be trru for a model train part.

Jerry in Va

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

dmoney2015
Switcher

devinbaker

Posted - August 27 2015 :  11:45:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dmoney2015 to Buddylist
my one friend had 2 of them without tenders thoght he wanted 15 for the lot hope to meet him again
devin "give me the ugly steam none of that streamlined stuff"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 29 2015 :  08:33:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
thanks all.. anybody get into 3d printing for parts?

Originally posted by ChoChoKen - August 26 2015 :  04:21:44 AM

What I heard recently about 3D printing ( for plastics ) is that the plastic used is not very durable. it might make a good mantle show piece, but anything made out of the plastic a 3D printer could use would not hold up in actual use. It's probably a softer plastic that melts easily. In other words, many plastics are injection-molded, and they're tougher because they're high heat-formed, while 3D uses heat, it's not a super hot heat, so it can't do much tougher plastics, I imagine. I don't know much about the process yet, but suspect that while it might be great for a static car or airplane model, trying to make an actual usable propeller out of it would be a waste of time, as the material couldn't handle the stress. I suspect the same would be trru for a model train part.

Jerry in Va

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - August 27 2015 :  9:26:34 PM

I have seen some people selling 3d printed trains online. Mostly N scale, some HO. It seems to be a good way to make custom trains, and there have been a few articles in MR about it. A site where you can find some is shapeways.com.

-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - May 02 2016 :  6:01:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
WELL KINDA found the schematic.
The listing is for 0625 loco non smoker Have a parts list mostly along with picture of boiler

have some other pictures including a list for the infamous 0610 but again just the parts list
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 05 2017 :  8:48:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Found my Lionel HO manual which lists most items made from 1959 to 1966

Has schematic and part numbers for Lionel HO

THE REAL HARD PART finding the damm parts

(If only Kuhn had NOT bought out Madison Hardware )

I can offer copies of the sheets Mind you its 200 pages

Edited by - thesiding on March 05 2017 8:56:01 PM

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - December 01 2017 :  3:58:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Someone on e bay is selling Lionel Parts including pieces for P acifics
  Previous Topic: LOTW Nov 26th - Dec 2nd , 2017 Topic Next Topic: LOTW: Nov. 19th - Nov. 25th  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000