Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Forum Related
 Forum Help
 I'm paranoid or someone's watching!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Thomas avatar Topic Next Topic: photos and other stuff  

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 26 2015 :  5:25:53 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Okay, as some of you know I used to post on here a lot and now only sporadically post. I've been posting more lately, and I know some things have changed around here.

Anyway, my question is that every once in a while when I use the site I see what appears (it just did it!) to be a gray box trying to pop in on the left side of the monitor, just under halfway down the side. I flashes and then disappears. Any idea what I (there it was again!) am seeing? Is it some (again!) feature of the forum I'm not used to? Or a UFO? FBI tracking software? (there it was again!) (and again!)

And FYI, I'm using Firefox on windows 7.

For the record, I'm just kidding with the paranoia. I'm sure it's a computer thing.

Edited by - burlington77 on June 26 2015 5:27:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 26 2015 :  6:20:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I had that happen to me once, on the Tyco forums. I ,too , was using Firefox. It was either adware on Firefox, or a virus. I ended up deleting Firefox and installing Chrome, and had no further problems. With either Internet surfing ( Firefox kept checking for updates constantly, so it gobbled up CPU time voraciously ), or pop-ups. I am suspicious that it's probably Firefox-related, their adware got annoying after awhile, another reason I switched. Good luck with your "problem".

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 26 2015 :  6:47:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
quote:
I had that happen to me once, on the Tyco forums. I ,too , was using Firefox. It was either adware on Firefox, or a virus. I ended up deleting Firefox and installing Chrome, and had no further problems. With either Internet surfing ( Firefox kept checking for updates constantly, so it gobbled up CPU time voraciously ), or pop-ups. I am suspicious that it's probably Firefox-related, their adware got annoying after awhile, another reason I switched. Good luck with your "problem".

Jerry in VA

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - June 26 2015 :  6:20:02 PM

If you want spyware, use the browser most closely affiliated with spying on your every move....chrome.
FF has no ads, no pop-ups, at all, full stop...they DO have some built-in security, and will block known or suspected sites. If the page had a tracker that is suspect, it might have been trying to tell you that. This site right now has Google Analytics and whos.amung.us both trackers. Dead serious. Get Ghostery and AdBlockPlus.
I have a whole suite of stuff to keep that carp at bay.
There is another forum I am on, and they are down for maintenance, and just to see if they'd changed something in the address, I looked on the chrome parent....first hit, address right, my (purchased) high end ASW program had a conniption and blocked that link. It was not pretty. Trojan download.
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 26 2015 :  7:20:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I'm running ABP right now. Firefox has been my favorite since it came out, but it's not what it used to be. I'll keep an eye on this weird pop-up thing.

As for Chrome, I'm no big Google fan. I'll use it occasionally.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - June 26 2015 :  7:29:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Firefox on Windows 7 here as well, no problems. Download AdBlock+ for starters, but whatever you're seeing isn't part of TF either way.

Also, just FYI--there was a virus going around various railfan forums a few months ago that would redirect you, upon clicking to an infected site from a google result, to a white page filled with gibberish (random letters and numbers formatted like a 1990's webpage) that contained some kind of worm. Your antivirus may not see it (I have Norton and it did not react), so if you encounter this, run like hell.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 26 2015 :  7:58:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
I was asked to upgrade FF to 25.0 by my IT guy. I have 12.0 saved, probably go back to it.
My new computer (last week), a dual Xeon processor Dell Precision 490, has FF 12.0 on it now, freshly loaded. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's any better. I like the lack of bells and whistles on 12.

I also have User Agent Switcher on my FF. I have it selected to tell website queries I am 7/32 bit running FF 25.0 (because newer stuff doesn't work well with FBP in FacePlant). So, I don't get the annoying "please update your (whatever)" website notifications.

This box is XP/32, the new box is XP/64, freshly loaded last week from the original Dell discs.

I HATE 8, the only reason they push new OS is to keep Billy rich.
I have it on a laptop, spent months sorting it, it fooled a MS long-time engineer who worked on * development...he swore I was running XP...had to grab the laptop and look, and could not believe it. LONG before 8.1.
Even a green XP start button, normal taskbar and desktop, even a desktop icon in the normal left half of the taskbar...not hidden past the clock.

I even found Outlook Express, and loaded it....OE Classic, works on any OS.

I could care less if XP is not supported. They lost me when they "forced" WGA past computer settings and downloaded (and rebooted) for you.
I figured out how to dig in and find how to kill it completely, and I did, what, 7 years ago?

My only issues have been software not written for AMD processors (and even MS did that with I think SP2) and an old harddrive that failed.

Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 26 2015 :  9:52:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
I don't like using chrome, as it takes at least 5 minutes to open on my mac. I like firefox, but it gets slow occasionally. But then, I don't really have much other choice. Chrome also runs automatic updates, and it is pretty much malware as it takes up tones on cpu and runs without my consent. There isn't really much antivirus availiable for mac, so I just keep a close eye on the processes.
-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 26 2015 :  9:58:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
quote:
I don't like using chrome, as it takes at least 5 minutes to open on my mac. I like firefox, but it gets slow occasionally. But then, I don't really have much other choice. Chrome also runs automatic updates, and it is pretty much malware as it takes up tones on cpu and runs without my consent. There isn't really much antivirus availiable for mac, so I just keep a close eye on the processes.

Originally posted by dastumer - June 26 2015 :  9:52:05 PM

Any browser stores files. Go to (if Mac is the same) History, the Clear Recent History. I use CCleaner to get all the hanger-on out, every night before I pull the plug...and Defraggler.
I turn the updates OFF.
Did I tell you about Conspiracy Theories?
I used to do a LOT of google maps....satellite...follow old roads, old rail lines, realignments...and just about the time MS announced the end of XP, suddenly 5 minutes into my research, and the computer would lock up. Never did that before. Internet Explorer was loading HUGE files...and I'm on FireFox! Cleared them out, it would get better. When I loaded User Switching Agent, told it I was 7...the problem went away. No changes.
Google in in cahoots with Gates and Company to FORCE us to do what THEY want us to do. Seriously. I can repeat the issue.

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 26 2015 :  10:47:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Yeah, I've noticed my old Dell E310 is taking longer, but can't tell if it 's due to old age, or Chrome. I know Chrome has a few issues, but compared to Firefox 3-4 years ago...much better! I'm still running XP on it, I'm planning on buying another computer as this one has lost sound capability due to motherboard crash. Too much trouble to reload the files for me!
Anyway, I never could figure out how to shut off Firefox's auto update, even when I went in and said No, it would still keep checking and checking and checking...I gave up. I'll live with Chrome, it's much simpler to use. They want to track me? Ok, go ahead. I'm usually boring. LOL! Have fun!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 26 2015 :  11:04:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
You go into the program files. May be in Documents and Settings, Application Data, maybe naught.
Find anything that looks like update, rename it. I use the date....let's say the original is updater.exe.
I rename it hold26JUN15updater.exe, and the updater cannot be found, but you can revert if you desire.

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 28 2015 :  7:44:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-caused-malware

Shows what to do if you have Malware causing popups and such.

Admin
Forum Admin

GilbertBuildingAvatar

Posted - July 19 2015 :  1:44:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Admin to Buddylist
Hey Burlington, any chance what you're seeing is the PM notification? I haven't used firefox in years so I'm not sure how that notification works using that browser.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 80  ~  Member Since: July 25 2001  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - July 19 2015 :  2:03:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I don't think so because I don't get many PM's. I also don't think it's some kind of malware. I seems to mostly do it as I type. I saw it four times while typing this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 19 2015 :  5:53:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
It looks like the Tyco forum may, in fact, be saved with the new moderator program or whatever's happening. Whatever it is, it's definitely look hopeful.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 19 2015 :  6:08:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
all we need is a level headed moderator to start with,so please if you think you can fit the bill pm admin
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Thomas avatar Topic Next Topic: photos and other stuff  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000