Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Marx Motive Power, Rolling Stock and Accessories
 Marx 2-bay covered hoppers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Marx 4-6-4 Help Topic Next Topic: Pictures of Marx GP7 <> F3A  

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - May 03 2015 :  8:43:37 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist

I saw at least two of this grey Lehigh Portland Cement car at the Solebury Train Show today, and two of the matching red Huron Portland Cement version, for no more than $2 each, but since I hadn't brought much money to the show today, I passed on them. I was surprised to see this listing on ebay just now for the same car, actually attracting bids and selling for $10.50 including shipping. Are these actually worth something that I am unaware of?

I'm considering starting cherrypicking rare cars from junk bins at train shows, cleaning them, and selling them to people who know what they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-SCALE-LEHIGH-PORTLAND-CEMENT-2-BAY-LPCX-COVERED-HOPPER-/261869849369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf8a8cb19

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 04 2015 :  06:35:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

I saw at least two of this grey Lehigh Portland Cement car at the Solebury Train Show today, and two of the matching red Huron Portland Cement version, for no more than $2 each, but since I hadn't brought much money to the show today, I passed on them. I was surprised to see this listing on ebay just now for the same car, actually attracting bids and selling for $10.50 including shipping. Are these actually worth something that I am unaware of?

I'm considering starting cherrypicking rare cars from junk bins at train shows, cleaning them, and selling them to people who know what they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-SCALE-LEHIGH-PORTLAND-CEMENT-2-BAY-LPCX-COVERED-HOPPER-/261869849369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf8a8cb19

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - May 03 2015 :  8:43:37 PM

It's worth what someone will pay for it! I've had the same thought about 'cherry-picking' cars out of junk boxes to resell. Up to now I've been a little shy because I've figured the vendor should know something about this stuff, right? So why is it in the junk box? But maybe some of them really don't know what they have (or they don't have the time to really go through all the stuff and clean it up?).

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 04 2015 :  08:49:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hi guys! Having a train of value at a show on your table means nothing at all unless someone looking for it views your table, and then finds it. That doesn't happen much. A rare thing. As to value of cars, most people don't know or even care about who made the train cars that are sitting on a table in front of them. They just look at the cars that attract their eye. They also look at the price. Dealers who look at what they have price them accordingly, don't sell very many. If I put a tray of Marx cars, or Revell cars which I would like to get few bucks higher for next to the trays of the cheaper cars people only glance at the Marx and check out the cheaper cars. If they are there to buy they get the cheaper cars.
* A dealer at the show yesterday was selling cars with knuckle couplers for $3. each and older style X2F ones for $2. each. At those pieces train people look through his trays and He does sell many cars. The cars were mixed and someone knowing what he was looking for could easily find some treasured cars. I didn't get much but I like what I got.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on May 04 2015 08:53:25 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - May 07 2015 :  10:22:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
That's just exactly it! So often I feel like I know more about what the vendors have than the vendors themselves, to say nothing of the majority of people looking through the show, and wonder if I couldn't make money by picking things I know are good, giving them a good cleaning, and putting them up on ebay with a good description where I know I'll find people who DO know exactly what they're looking at. Personally, I'm quite glad that most people "don't know or even care about who made the train cars that are sitting on a table in front of them", because they leave me to snag things like, to use a recent example, a pair of Roundhouse boxcars with kadees, metal wheels, NMRA weights and custom lettering for $2 each.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - May 07 2015 :  10:29:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
Like the metal English Yardbird I picked up less drawbar, two tender axles and one sideframe for five bucks. Had the parts.
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Marx 4-6-4 Help Topic Next Topic: Pictures of Marx GP7 <> F3A  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000